Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
To me, these NX spy shots looks different from the mystery CUV shown with the Direct4 announcement a month ago.

NX:
2022-lexus-nx-front-spy-photo.jpg

Mystery CUV:
Electric%20Lexus-2.jpg

Between the two:

NX:
A pillar is more swept back
Curved greenhouse and roofline
More rounded fenders
Spindle goes into the bottom of the fender with no open space

Mystery CUV:
A pillar is more upright
Roofline is more flat
Fender flares are more square and bulbous
Open horizontal area below spindle

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
2021-01-12-lexus-nx-crossover-front.jpg

A prototype of the next-generation Lexus NX crossover has been spotted while testing in Colorado — here are a selection of photos from Motor1:
2021-01-12-lexus-nx-prototype-side.jpg

2021-01-12-lexus-nx-prototype-rear.jpg

The Lexus NX shares its platform with the Toyota RAV4, and the similarity shows even through the camouflage — the proportions are near identical, though the NX looks to affect a more sloped rear line. There’s also a generous helping of the UX crossover in the front design, though that’s hardly a bad thing.
The expectation has been for the next-generation NX crossover to debut some time this year, though who can really tell what the coming months will bring?

Continue reading...

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
So they are doing baby gx? Ie off more robust cuv where nx might be sporty? It seems too small to be GX

Reactions
To me, these NX spy shots looks different from the mystery CUV shown with the Direct4 announcement a month ago.

NX:

Mystery CUV:
Electric%20Lexus-2.jpg

Between the two:

NX:
More rounded fenders

Mystery CUV:
A pillar is more upright
Roofline is more flat

Here's a suggestion... could that "mystery CUV" be the next RX? After all, it's based on the Highlander. Notice that there's a certain styling feature from the Highlander that happens to be on the mystery CUV as well.

I also want to add two more things. First, like @Gecko, I also feel that the front overhang is gross. Also, they REALLY did a good job at camouflaging the car, I can barely tell what's going on. It looks like that they made the grille smaller, a la LC.

Will1991

Reactions

NX:

Mystery CUV:
Electric%20Lexus-2.jpg

Between the two:

NX:
More rounded fenders

Mystery CUV:
A pillar is more upright
Roofline is more flat

Maybe it’s the RZ450e...

I think it’s a BEV given it was shown as the BEV prototype and it seems to have the front end closed with camouflage.

And, if this isn’t the RZ450e, Lexus will launch a second BEV without eTNGA? I hope not, I hope Lexus (and Toyota) BEV's will be on dedicated platforms from now on. The CHR/UX300e twins are, in my opinion, a decision to be part of the BEV wave to try shake off the anti-BEV idea.

Also, from the teaser of the electric concept to be shown in Q1, it looks like it has a very straight front and rear bumpers, just like that car...

image.png
image.png

Sabelo

Fan
Reactions
Oh good! Also looks like there is no stacked infotainment screen this time, good.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
stance is smaller Prado, def not RZ... RZ looks like sports car with low bumper, while direct SUV has very tall front bumper up to the lights.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Interesting comparison to the Highlander.. what are the odds that covered prototype is in fact a very early prototype using a GX-front and shortened Highlander body, not representative of what the final product will be?

Levi

Expert
Reactions
i think tx is highlander, comes before new rx which might be on new revised rwd platform as @maiaramdan claims, which replaces lf1 and coould be the next Crown cuv.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
RX is already confirmed to be on TNGA-K... there is no "revised RWD platform" now, and Lexus has no reason to switch RX to RWD considering it's 23 year success and reign as the best selling luxury CUV. Direct4 makes this even less necessary.

Keep in mind that because some of the lines of a prototype look similar to another car means absolutely nothing, as the similarities between Toyota and Lexus products are under the skin. They will look totally and completely different. The most that the Venza and NX will share is the platform and powertrains.

800_lexuskenshikidecember2020hevandbevprototypes2.jpg

Hopefully having the ES as a reference point will show you all that this SUV is no GX, unless they use the name and turn it into something completely different. The roofline is only a few inches higher than an ES... the current GX towers over the ES and is a much larger vehicle. It is almost 20" taller (74.2" vs 56"). I have no idea how tall that man is, but he is only slightly taller than the CUV, or maybe the same height as he's standing a few feet in front of it. I am 6'1", have to crouch down to get in an ES, and the GX is about as tall as I am.

Based on these reference points, this CUV prototype looks to be something NX/RX sized.. maybe in between the two. Yes, the more upright front end and flat roofline look "GX-ish" but that literally means nothing.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
i don't know why you don't think it is the tx. tx and es get same engines. at least es should being in the same class as gs withou gs anymore.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^I don't see how that prototype vehicle could accommodate a third row. For one, the rear quarter panel glass is almost nonexistant... a three row crossover would be longer and need to have more mass in the rear quarter panel.

Look at the size of the driver related to the size of the vehicle and glass and front door, then the back door and greenhouse. If this vehicle has a third row, it would have to be a "jump" style third row with two small seats and zero cargo room. Quite unlikely.

But perhaps "TX" is not a third row vehicle, if this indeed TX.