3rd Gen Toyota Sequoia Thread (2023+)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I didn’t really see the Tundra front end/grille as “too big” like some say, but now seeing the Sequoia, this is much more proportional and better looking. I really like it. It seems capstone will be the debut model?

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions
I didn’t really see the Tundra front end/grille as “too big” like some say, but now seeing the Sequoia, this is much more proportional and better looking. I really like it. It seems capstone will be the debut model?
Grill pattern and iForce MAX would support that its the Capstone trim. Front end looks better here I agree. Looks like they broke it up vs the Tundra. Like a half hexagonal shape.

Last edited:

cookieyh

Fan
Reactions
So Tundra and Sequoia get all of the “hybrid suv/truck debut” hype and media payoff but not the global flagship Land Cruiser or $100k LX. I just don’t understand some of Toyota’s decisions 🙄.

Couldn’t agree more! I don’t get it either!

This may be the first time Toyota model has better powertrain than its Lexus sibling.

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions
So Tundra and Sequoia get all of the “hybrid suv/truck debut” hype and media payoff but not the global flagship Land Cruiser or $100k LX. I just don’t understand some of Toyota’s decisions 🙄.
750h rumored powertrain was something like 480hp/640 lb ft. Maybe that'll debut later to differentiate them. Li-on and so forth.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
The Tundra and Sequoia are respective underdogs in their segment, they need all the support they can get. The J300 is the F150 of that class (that class being a size of 1 lol).

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Roll down rear window is gone, looks like
I think the rear window/split tailgate is officially not a thing on TGNA-F. The 4R might buck that rule, but if the US team could not tease out a multifuntional tailgate on the Tundra, and Seq...

b.ba

Fan
Reactions
I prefer the Sequoia front end way more than the Tundra. The front end looks more like an evolution of the last-gen Tundra, which I thought looked great. I guess the designers really tapped into the macho pickup truck culture to try to appeal to it.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Looks good. Would be tough to sell a smaller more expensive LC300 in US. LC300 only makes sense as "hard-core" off-roading machine, but even then it is too luxurious/big/heavy, a 4Runner could do the same for less and definitely will. And even then Landcruiser is like 911, follows tradition, but the others have caught up/do not offer significantly less.

I think Toyota/Lexus are more conservative with these models, compared to the other ones that they can afford to "revolutionize". See what happened with LS revolution.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Looks good. Would be tough to sell a smaller more expensive LC300 in US. LC300 only makes sense as "hard-core" off-roading machine, but even then it is too luxurious/big/heavy, a 4Runner could do the same for less and definitely will. And even then Landcruiser is like 911, follows tradition, but the others have caught up/do not offer significantly less.

I think Toyota/Lexus are more conservative with these models, compared to the other ones that they can afford to "revolutionize". See what happened with LS revolution.
There was considerable resistance with J100 when they moved to IFS, to the point they have to build the J105. The Land Cruiser formula needs to be so safe, that they can't change the wheelbase and ground clearance. They even have to invent an electric-hydraulic hybrid steering system.

This conservatism has put the LX at a considerable disadvantage. The LX needs to grow, but is always limited by the 2850mm wheelbase that is so sacred to the Land Cruiser formula. The LX should have moved to the Sequoia platform in the last generation, but the problem then is the American-made Sequoia was never built to the same standard as the Land Cruiser.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
There was considerable resistance with J100 when they moved to IFS, to the point they have to build the J105. The Land Cruiser formula needs to be so safe, that they can't change the wheelbase and ground clearance. They even have to invent an electric-hydraulic hybrid steering system.

This conservatism has put the LX at a considerable disadvantage. The LX needs to grow, but is always limited by the 2850mm wheelbase that is so sacred to the Land Cruiser formula. The LX should have moved to the Sequoia platform in the last generation, but the problem then is the American-made Sequoia was never built to the same standard as the Land Cruiser.
never say never......;)

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
I think the rear window/split tailgate is officially not a thing on TGNA-F. The 4R might buck that rule, but if the US team could not tease out a multifuntional tailgate on the Tundra, and Seq...
IMO, the roll down rear glass is 4Runner DNA. It would be suicide to drop that because it is such a beloved feature and it sets the 4Runner apart from the competitors. The C pillar is also part of that visual DNA that Toyota would do well to keep.

il_794xN.2392998764_e15e.jpg

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions
The Tundra did keep the roll down rear window, which people loved. So it's def a possibility going forward for next gen 4Runner/GX. Wonder how many people will lament the loss of the GX barn door when it probably goes away? Not many I'm thinking

Levi

Expert
Reactions
IMO, the roll down rear glass is 4Runner DNA. It would be suicide to drop that because it is such a beloved feature and it sets the 4Runner apart from the competitors. The C pillar is also part of that visual DNA that Toyota would do well to keep.
Split tailgate is Landcruiser DNA, it still lost it. so who knows. And as Demetrius says, same with Prado. Then there is the Fortuner, who knows if it is coming.