3rd Gen Toyota Sequoia Thread (2023+)

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Odd name badge location. I guess they wanted that Tundra/Tacoma brand synergy.

Trob20

Fan
Reactions
According to Kirk Kreifels, Toyota is also having an event next week for the hybrid tundra, so I'm hopeful pricing and mpg will be released for the Tundra. I don't think they'll provide Sequoia pricing at the reveal.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Looks small for a Sequoia. Are they going with the 2850mm "golden wheelbase" for better off-road capability? The rear overhang is quite short so the new Sequoia may not be spacious enough for 7 passengers. So maybe the Grand Highlander is based on the Sienna but with a SUV body shape?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I jacked up the brightness and reduced the contrast on the first teaser and you can still barely see anything different. I say that because I think it's going to take seeing the whole thing revealed to be able to say if it's too big or too small. The Sequoia was born as a North American product because most here saw the Land Cruiser as too small, so I assume the third gen will still be larger than that and tied to the Tundra like it was before.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Looks small for a Sequoia. Are they going with the 2850mm "golden wheelbase" for better off-road capability? The rear overhang is quite short so the new Sequoia may not be spacious enough for 7 passengers. So maybe the Grand Highlander is based on the Sienna but with a SUV body shape?
Did they conform to that standard on the current Sequoia? I doubt they'd push for a smaller vehicle if its suppose to compete with the likes of the Ford/Chevy products (Tahoe and Expedition)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Both Toyota and Lexus are lack of big three row SUV. The new Sequoia gotta be big!

Sequoia has always been a big three-row SUV. There will also be full-size Grand Highlander and TX. What more are we asking for? A Lexus version of the Sequoia? TX is going to cover that with regard to interior space and flexibility. If you need three rows, your options are/will be:

4Runner
Highlander
Grand Highlander
Sequoia
GX
TX
LX

^I can't think of another manufacturer with more 3 row SUVs -- maybe if you count up Tahoe, Yukon, Escalade, Suburban, Yukon XL and Escalade ESV as different models along with Traverse, Acadia and XT6? For Toyota, from a sales POV, the mix of 4Runner-Highlander-Grand Highlander-New Sequoia is going to be a quadruple threat, while Lexus having large unibody and BOF options with 3 rows is the same.

cookieyh

Fan
Reactions
Sequoia has always been a big three-row SUV. There will also be full-size Grand Highlander and TX. What more are we asking for? A Lexus version of the Sequoia? TX is going to cover that with regard to interior space and flexibility. If you need three rows, your options are/will be:

4Runner
Highlander
Grand Highlander
Sequoia
GX
TX
LX

^I can't think of another manufacturer with more 3 row SUVs -- maybe if you count up Tahoe, Yukon, Escalade, Suburban, Yukon XL and Escalade ESV as different models along with Traverse, Acadia and XT6? For Toyota, from a sales POV, the mix of 4Runner-Highlander-Grand Highlander-New Sequoia is going to be a quadruple threat, while Lexus having large unibody and BOF options with 3 rows is the same.

Don't get me wrong. I completely agree with you. What I mean is current lineup. Highlander might be the smallest in its segment. Current Sequoia is too old and no one buys it. The third row on 4runner and GX is a joke (I am an owner of GX). The third row on LX is ok but the space behind the third row is tiny (it's not meant to be people hauler).

The all new Sequoia, Grand Highlander and TX are super important, will fill the gap and make Toyota uniquely positioned.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Toyota needs to build a SWB Sequoia and a LWB Sequoia. Otherwise they'd be shooting themselves in the foot.
Why? That large BOF SUV segment is only 400k units a year total. GM holds 250k of those with a huge percentage being fleet purchases, which Toyota won't get. San Antonio plant can only build 200k vehicles per year, so Sequoia and Tundra will share that capacity with Tacoma (unless Tacoma moves out). Tundra is probably targeting 150k units this year (50% increase over previous years and somewhere in the ballpark of where the gen 2 Tundra hit). I don't think there is a ton of capacity left for Sequoia to make major increases in volume nor is the market there to buy them once you pull out the fleet sales. I figure they can probably get to 30k with a single wheelbase offering that isn't 15 years old.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Why? That large BOF SUV segment is only 400k units a year total. GM holds 250k of those with a huge percentage being fleet purchases, which Toyota won't get. San Antonio plant can only build 200k vehicles per year, so Sequoia and Tundra will share that capacity with Tacoma (unless Tacoma moves out). Tundra is probably targeting 150k units this year (50% increase over previous years and somewhere in the ballpark of where the gen 2 Tundra hit). I don't think there is a ton of capacity left for Sequoia to make major increases in volume nor is the market there to buy them once you pull out the fleet sales. I figure they can probably get to 30k with a single wheelbase offering that isn't 15 years old.

Exactly. And the Toyota strategy of "doing something right in the middle (between smallest and biggest)" and killing two birds with one stone is the most efficient and effective way to target that segment. "Sequoia L" or "Grand Sequoia" would probably sell less than 10k units a year. Tahoe-Expedition-Grand Wagoner-Yukon is the core of that market... I think the only one bigger that sells in any meaningful volume is the Suburban. Expedition Max and Yukon XL are fractions of the segment.

cookieyh

Fan
Reactions
I will be very happy if new Sequoia has LC300 front grill and Tundra's interior design. Tundra's front is a bit too much for a SUV.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Toyota needs to build a SWB Sequoia and a LWB Sequoia. Otherwise they'd be shooting themselves in the foot.
That could be a thing for them, but just like the Tundra, I don't think there expecting too many conquest buyers. Kind of a stretch here with comparisons (the sequoia is not poised to stretch this far price wise) but Jeep is having a difficult time in this SUV/Sellers market moving their Wagoneer Twins.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
uvp-seq.png

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Heard the same thing and the teaser there looks on point. C pillar looks to be shared with LX600 and LC300, which is no surprise. Ironically, 3rd row window almost looks lifted off a 200 Series LX570. Loses a little bit of that forward-raking design it had it the first 2 gens and what the 4Runner has had it's entire run. Excited to see it fully revealed.
It resembles, but looking closely it is a different 3rd row side window.
Looks big, bigger than LX/LC, so no worries, a true Sequoia.

It will also very likely have IRS, so given the parts-sharing, this IRS will also fit the LC/LX as previous gen did. It would have been nice if IRS was optional on LX/LC, but most customers would not care and are fine with SRA.