2023 Mazda CX-50 Revealed

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
I really think it looks great and can't wait to see the non-offroad trims. Nicely proportioned and wider and lower than CX-5. Has me very excited for the future Mazda products.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

The CX-50 is badass.

Mazda debuted the refreshed CX-5 last week and it’s also a bit more capable off-road.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
#widebodylife lol

Love the design. The interior materials needed to improve, hopefully when this is available for a td I'll be impressed.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
not Subaru AWD, but styling is not bad at all, in and out. looking forward to RWD based models.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Another cuv… so happy

so what this is shared with the Corolla cross? I’m confused where this fits in the lineup. I’m asking but I really don’t care lol

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
No, built in the same plant but is built off of the Mazda Small platform. This is made to be the premium replacement for the CX-5 as Mazda pushes upmarket. The uocoming CX-60,70,80,90 will all be built on Mazdas large Platform and be RWD-based with i6 engine.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
305652.jpg

Idk if this is the right thread, but the narrow-body CX-60 for non-US markets leaked today.

mikeavelli

Reactions
No, built in the same plant but is built off of the Mazda Small platform. This is made to be the premium replacement for the CX-5 as Mazda pushes upmarket. The uocoming CX-60,70,80,90 will all be built on Mazdas large Platform and be RWD-based with i6 engine.

thank you

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
So this wilderness, overlanding thing is the latest fashion in crossover styling? Ironic, with COP26 and talk of preserving natural environments to reduce damage from climate change.

What does the North America-only Mazda CX-50 share with the Corolla Cross? The side profiles look similar to me. Mazda says that "the CX-50 shares no components with any Toyota model, other than a couple of paint colours".

Both are built in the Mazda Toyota Manufacturing USA (MTMUS) plant in Huntsville, Alabama but on the 2 separate assembly lines, so it is not unbelievable that the 2 models share no components. But we may never know for sure, since the word comes from Mazda, which is stubbornly independent.

Although the carry-over CX-5 and this new, only slightly-larger CX-50 will be sold side-by-side for now, I believe that the CX-5 will eventually be dropped from the market. It looks like Mazda is renaming its crossover line, with the even-numbered ones (CX-40, -60, -80) destined for Asia and Europe; and odd-numbered ones (CX-30, -50, -70, -90) destined for North America (and other markets that tolerate wider, fatter models).

Levi

Expert
Reactions
View attachment 5198

Idk if this is the right thread, but the narrow-body CX-60 for non-US markets leaked today.
It is RWD? Strange proportions. Alfa Stelvio and Genesis GV70 look rather good for what they are. I really wish and hope Mazda 6 Sedan will look nice, with short front overhang and low hood line.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
A few thoughts:

1) This looks really, really nice. I love the evolution of Mazda design here.
2) Seems like many of the Mazda faithful were expecting this to be RWD... what happened? I am still having a hard time seeing/understanding exactly when/where/how Mazda's premium RWD strategy will kick off
3) Some news and media is saying it's slightly lower than the CX-5, some are saying slightly taller? I hope it's the latter since ground clearance is a fairly key element in (a) being more off road capable and (b) looking more off road capable.

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
I’ve found no issue following Mazda’s communication about future products. A few weeks before the CX-50 was announced they said that in 2022 they’d reveal a new CX-70 and CX-90 with a rwd platform and new engines along with electrification. After seeing this new CX-50 I really like it. It has me hopeful for the 70, and 90. I’m sorry excited to see the new powertrains and design changes. I remain hopeful that they will bring back a midsize sedan with the new chassis and powertrains.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Just got done reading the reviews - I really like this thing, and the design is beautiful. Went to mazdausa.com to build one and it came out to $44k loaded.

For $10k less than a similarly equipped NX 350 AWD, and the fact that Mazda doesn't have ridiculous packaging limitations like Lexus (can't get ML audio + luxury package), I would probably be inclined to get one of these if I was shopping.