2022 Subaru WRX

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
1625037263447.png
If the Viziv Tourer and Viziv Performance are anything to go by, the WRX will essentially look like a Levorg sedan. Meaning a front overhang longer than the front wheel. KINDA works on the Levorg but afraid it won't with a sedan body. We shall see.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Subaru has lost the plot with the WRX, IMO.

I remember 2000 - 2005 when the WRX and WRX STi were some of the most desirable cars in the tuner scene. At that time, kids my age aspired to own one because it was unique, fast, AWD and tunable. There was SO MUCH BUZZ about the WRX, the culture got huge, the media loved the car and it seemed like Subaru had a stranglehold on the Japanese pocket rocket scene.

Ever since then, the Subaru brand has been chasing mainstream and brought the WRX along for the ride. Since it's based on the Impreza, that was always bound to happen I guess, but Subaru is now probably the single most bland automotive brand. Their design is awful and it seems like they just shuffle around the same design cues for every model with nothing ever really changing. The old WRX stood out, but it hasn't since then.

The Impreza is no more visually interesting than a Civic or a Corolla, and as a result, the WRX doesn't have the same appeal it once did. Honda has invested in Type R and built a following. Toyota and Subaru have the 86/BRZ which has picked up the tuner crowd. With the WRX, Subaru just keeps pimping the name on cars that don't feel anything like they did when WRX meant something special.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I really don't understand why they make the new WRX less torquey than the Ascent, Legacy XT and Outback XT, unless 350NM is already at the safe limit of the WRX's transmissions. Please just paint the plastic cladding in body colour Subaru, also I'm baffled that they didn't show it in WR Blue, even the new BRZ debut in WR Blue.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Pretty much lol, I also don't understand why Subaru keeps sticking to the tall and bloated design that plagued many hatchbacks and sedans from the 2000s(kinda ironic that Subaru's sedans, hatchbacks and wagons from that era don't really suffer from that problem).

I'm glad that the GR86 and BRZ's interior and exterior are designed by Toyota, imagine if it were done by Subaru instead *shivers*. I know I sound very negative but I'm actually still interested in this new WRX.

Reactions
What is 'Subaru Performance Transmission'? Are they too embarrassed to call it CVT?
Yup.

What's appalling is that all of the good options are reserved for the model with the *COUGHS* Subaru Performance Transmission *COUGHS*. I do think while the looks are polarizing, I think it will age all right. It's just a bit of a shock, but the shock will wear off.

I can't wait for the GR Corolla. I want that GR-FOUR AWD system with the G16E-GTS + manual so freaking bad in North America.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The Levorg looks fine. I don't know how they could mess up the looks because all they need to do is chopping the roof to make a Levorg sedan.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
The WRX always have a place in my heart and within my next car choice
And this is no difference

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I really don't understand why they make the new WRX less torquey than the Ascent, Legacy XT and Outback XT, unless 350NM is already at the safe limit of the WRX's transmissions.
Just wanted to add-on to this reply of mine, the 6 speed manual in the WRX is quite weak transmission according to many professional tuners, it's actually based on the old 5 speed manual transmission which is already known to be kinda weak, so Subaru pretty much took that old 5 speed and shove in an extra forward gear, totally different to the Aisin 6 speed manual found in the STI.

While Subaru's strongest CVT can safely handle 400NM of torque, they probably don't want to make the CVT WRX more powerful than the manual WRX because that would just be embarrassing and probably cause an even bigger outrage amongst car enthusiasts😂.