2022 Mazda CX-60 PHEV

Reactions
This is the base engine? Interesting positioning.

No, there is a 3.3L NA I6 making 280 horsepower which is quite sad by 2023 standards.

But this turbo engine makes exactly the same power as the 2020 GR Supra's B58 but with a 0.3L greater displacement. If the Mazda engine had the same HP/L ratio as the 2020 GR Supra's B58 (113.3333 HP/L) then it should be making 374 horsepower, and even then it won't be enough because the B58 is underrated by a solid 10%.

If we're referring to the quoted 2021+ GR Supra B58 (127.3333 HP/L) power numbers then the Mazda inline-six should be making 420 horsepower. The irony again being, if you were to dyno the 2021+ cars, the GR Supra is making something to the tune of 430-440 horsepower.

Mazda going full-steam with utilizing the Atkinson cycle is going to starve these engines from the power that they need to be competitive in the premium market. All of this in exchange for a few more MPGs.

And yet people still kept insinuating that this is good enough for the A100 GR Supra or a Lexus product. No.

Last edited:

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
And yet people still kept insinuating that this is good enough for the A100 GR Supra or a Lexus product. No.
I'm insinuating higher-performance version of the engine, obviously not expecting the tuned for a crossover version to go directly into an A100 without any modification. The X5 40i makes 335hp out of the B58, X7 got uprated to the 375hp version. Who knows what this engine's potential is!

Reactions
Give it a chance! B58 is an amazing engine but this might be as well in higher tunes. I do want to feel Stellantis' hi-po i6 as well in a car.

I find Stellantis' engine to be way more impressive IMHO. Looks to be a solid engine so far.

I'm insinuating higher-performance version of the engine, obviously not expecting the tuned for a crossover version to go directly into an A100 without any modification. The X5 40i makes 335hp out of the B58, X7 got uprated to the 375hp version. Who knows what this engine's potential is!

This is true. However both iterations of that B58 are quite underrated though. Mazda tends to make weaker engines relative to what they advertise, and not in terms of raw horsepower and torque numbers, but how the engine delivers that power.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
But this turbo engine makes exactly the same power as the 2020 GR Supra's B58 but with a 0.3L greater displacement. If the Mazda engine had the same HP/L ratio as the 2020 GR Supra's B58 (113.3333 HP/L) then it should be making 374 horsepower, and even then it won't be enough because the B58 is underrated by a solid 10%.

If we're referring to the quoted 2021+ GR Supra B58 (127.3333 HP/L) power numbers then the Mazda inline-six should be making 420 horsepower. The irony again being, if you were to dyno the 2021+ cars, the GR Supra is making something to the tune of 430-440 horsepower.

Mazda going full-steam with utilizing the Atkinson cycle is going to starve these engines from the power that they need to be competitive in the premium market. All of this in exchange for a few more MPGs.

A "bad" Lexus IS/Mazda 6 twin with 340 PS I6 to compete against the BMW 340i would better than no Mazda 6 or the Lexus IS that is on sale now. I'd rather have "not good enough" than "not at all".

The B58/S58 however perfect, I could not care less in a CUV.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
A "bad" Lexus IS/Mazda 6 twin with 340 PS I6 to compete against the BMW 340i would better than no Mazda 6 or the Lexus IS that is on sale now. I'd rather have "not good enough" than "not at all".

The B58/S58 however perfect, I could not care less in a CUV.

There is enough info on the web today that Mazda 6 was indeed the first RWD model they developed and then just decided not to do it.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
There is enough info on the web today that Mazda 6 was indeed the first RWD model they developed and then just decided not to do it.
Yup that was way back in 2018. The IS/RC was also rumored to go on that platform also. Then BMW's. Then their own (GAL). Now still on the same as 10 years ago

NVlaar

Follower
Reactions

I like the interior more than any Lexus SUV. And that straight 6 diesel has better fuel eco than RX350h, on paper at least. Overall smoothness is another thing but it makes quite alot of more power than 350h as well. And rear wheel drive :love: