Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
A bit of a hard reality on that interior: The money for that screen has to come at the expense of something else, so it might have been passenger side trim. We don't know the specs or sizing of it, but I think some of the rumors from earlier were saying as much as 23" (though I don't think it looks that big)? It looks big in pictures and that's all we know for now, but being the first vehicle to debut the new infotainment system + huge whopping screen = major investment dumped into the left side of the interior.

IMO, even a stitched line or something like the current NX would have helped to spruce it up a tad, but maybe that wasn't in the budget.

One thing I can't understand is why the bezels are so big on these Lexus screens. Slimming those down would help create a cleaner look that will probably age much better.

RAL

Reactions
A bit of a hard reality on that interior: The money for that screen has to come at the expense of something else, so it might have been passenger side trim. We don't know the specs or sizing of it, but I think some of the rumors from earlier were saying as much as 23" (though I don't think it looks that big)? It looks big in pictures and that's all we know for now, but being the first vehicle to debut the new infotainment system + huge whopping screen = major investment dumped into the left side of the interior.

IMO, even a stitched line or something like the current NX would have helped to spruce it up a tad, but maybe that wasn't in the budget.

One thing I can't understand is why the bezels are so big on these Lexus screens. Slimming those down would help create a cleaner look that will probably age much better.

Can't wait to see it in real life ...
What about that trim(?) on the top front of the door panels next to the AC vents?

Agree, some minor stitching/trim would help break it up a little ... like the Venza:
IMG_7457.jpeg

Levi

Expert
Reactions
regardless of interior it will sell and others will pick a German badge. Maybe Lexus keeps the really good interiors for the higher margin CUVs and the harder selling low cars.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Since it wasn't an official reveal, maybe they just wanted our feedback? They will keep the exterior and maybe redo the interior Lol.

A replica of UX dash layout (with some improvements) would have made me a potential buyer.

To be honest, the interior design that look really neat and great lately have been lowly VW and Audis. Not sure from an ergonomics point of view.

The new Mercedes S and C are still a joke and looking inspired by Tesla S.

Edit:

Oh. UX display is embedded and way out of reach haha. I would have preferred that display put closer even as one of those tacky tablet tack ons ala BMW. At least it's in the line of sight.

Now I recall that UX stalk that is so oddly placed haha.

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

i very much doubt that as both Venza and Rav4 have differently styled passenger side, heck even Yaris does.
This was designers idea - maybe to focus on drivers side?

Looks similar to what was on my 2009 Lexus IS but nobody thought of it as cheap since it looked high quality in real life (where Rav4 or Yaris looks low rent, and putting some line there does not drastically change that).

anyway, my 2c...

Reactions
I was under the impression that the NX will be the same size as the Venza.

Interesting, I could've sworn the Venza was like nearing 190+ inches in length. 186.6 inches is eh. I think I'm thinking of the Mirai. Guess that's not too bad then. I personally don't like super big cars but wouldn't mind something a bit more utility and higher in height. I hope the side mirrors both have auto-dimming and power-folding. Toyota/Lexus has started cutting passenger-side auto-dimming to my horror (2021 Avalon and UX have been affected), and power-folding is hit or miss with Lexus makes now (hi, 2021 IS). And hopefully there will be a head-up display (at least for the U.S.) because we never got that with the current NX.

The interior looks alright to me. I agree with many on how plain the passenger-side dashboard looks with that chunk of just plastic/whatever it is. The screen is also like a computer monitor now. I do like the steering wheel -- VERY Mercedes-like. I hope black headliners still stick around. The gearshift reminds me a lot of what Volvo currently has.

Last edited:

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Interesting, I could've sworn the Venza was like nearing 190+ inches in length. 186.6 inches is eh. I think I'm thinking of the Mirai. Guess that's not too bad then. I personally don't like super big cars but wouldn't mind something a bit more utility and higher in height. I hope the side mirrors both have auto-dimming and power-folding. Toyota/Lexus has started cutting passenger-side auto-dimming to my horror (2021 Avalon and UX have been affected), and power-folding is hit or miss with Lexus makes now (hi, 2021 IS). And hopefully there will be a head-up display (at least for the U.S.) because we never got that with the current NX.

The interior looks alright to me. I agree with many on how plain the passenger-side dashboard looks with that chunk of just plastic/whatever it is. The screen is also like a computer monitor now. I do like the steering wheel -- VERY Mercedes-like. I hope black headliners still stick around. The gearshift reminds me a lot of what Volvo currently has.
Perhaps you were thinking of the first-generation Venza, which was 189 inches long?

Reactions
I know I already commented on the interior but just wanted to throw in an extra 2c in. I don't have experience in what a screen costs or how much money it takes to get it into a car however I respectfully feel reluctant to believe that it takes up all the interior budget. As the NX is the first all new Lexus with a new infotainment system, I would have really loved to see a new design language for the interiors moving forward. Creating a new system is costly for sure but that system will go into every new Lexus moving forward so that cost of R&D is spread out across the entire line up. It would be nice to see some back lit "kiriko glass" with multiple color options. or something futuristic like in the LF-1 limitless or LF-30 interiors. I guess my biggest issue with it is it looks like a Toyota

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Why everyone hates Toyota or saying it's name as if he/she is saying LADA

What's wrong with Toyota
LandCruiser
Supra
S2000
Celica
Corolla
Corona
Crown/Majesta
Mark-2/Chaser/Caresta/Cressida/Mark-X
Century

Toyota had a great heritage in every single car category

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
So it's either interior or exterior? The GX and LX are abominations outside.

When people complain about the interior, it's likely not the material since the leak was virtual. It's likely the layout or aesthetics.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
2021-03-01-lexus-nx-interior.jpg

The new Lexus NX crossover will do away with the Remote Touch infotainment controller so disliked by customers and media. As shown in last week’s leak of the next-generation model, the center console is clear of all touchpads and mouse controllers:
2021-03-01-lexus-nx-center-console.jpg

Lexus had already accepted defeat in regards to Remote Touch, giving the recently updated RX, LS, and IS models both the controller and a touchscreen. This compromise is a necessary evil, as these vehicle interiors were not designed for a touchscreen and had to be jury-rigged to accommodate a touch interface. Take the RX as an example:
2021-03-01-lexus-rx-interior.jpg

Going forward, it appears that Lexus will adopt a massive touchscreen...

Continue reading...

mikeavelli

Reactions
To those complaining about the interior this is the NX and not RX/GX/LX. It's just the second entry vehicle in the lexus line up. So, I think it looks good when viewing it from that perspective.

Came to say this. Remember everyone this was a leak. So that ain’t everything. It was also a Euro leak. Again when things do debut, I think the forum will absolutely love it.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Did anyone noticed those sweetly designed and placed door handles?

2021-03-01-lexus-nx-interior.jpg
I am going to reserve judgment on that until I sit in the new NX and see it in person. I like the door handles placed high up and forward (above the window and door-lock switches); I find a door handle that is placed too far back difficult to access because I have to slide my arm back, possibly banging into the seat back, to grab it. With the door handle as far forward as the window switches, my hand is already there so I just reach up a bit to grab the door handle.

TripleL

Premium Member
Reactions
Very interested in this new NX. I like what I see but as others have said have to wait for the US reveal to know what's what.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
2021-03-04-lexus-nx-450h-plus.jpg

The next-generation NX crossover will be the first Lexus to be offered with a plug-in hybrid powertrain, according to the leaked video from last week. The NX 450h+ will almost certainly be powered by the same 2.5-liter four-cylinder plug-in hybrid engine from the Toyota RAV4 Prime. This powertrain is rated at 302 horsepower, with an estimated 90 MPGe and a 0-60mph time of 5.8 seconds.
Most importantly, the RAV4 Prime can travel 42 miles on a single charge. Charging times vary depending on the method — if the NX shares the same 6.6-kW charging capability as the RAV4 Prime Premium, replenishing the battery could take as little as 2.5 hours on a Live 2 charger.

Continue reading...