internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Any chance the PHEV versions will be somewhat rear wheel biased? Or will the engine only drive the front axle?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Any chance the PHEV versions will be somewhat rear wheel biased? Or will the engine only drive the front axle?
In E-Four the ICE also drives the rear axle via the electric pathway. In E-Axle the ability is further increased.

E-Axle would make a lot of difference in cornering. It could send more power to the rear motor to help turn in and more power to the front at exit to straighten out, so it's mechanically equivalent to an AWD system with a center TVD, just more flexible. That's how their LMP1 car works.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
In E-Four the ICE also drives the rear axle via the electric pathway. In E-Axle the ability is further increased.

E-Axle would make a lot of difference in cornering. It could send more power to the rear motor to help turn in and more power to the front at exit to straighten out, so it's mechanically equivalent to an AWD system with a center TVD, just more flexible. That's how their LMP1 car works.

So you could have an ICE that's driving AWD, with additional assist to rear from e-axle?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

So new Harrier is out and has 2.0l and 2.5l hsd in Japan, same as Rav4.

Interesting part about e-four is that they claim it can switch 100:0 to 20:80 when needed.

Considering it is 54hp motor in the back, i guess they mean that max battery output of 48hp can be dent 8hp front, 40hp back when needed :)

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
20-04-13-lexus-nx-250-2021-next-generation.jpg

Lexus has trademarked the NX 250 nameplate in the USA, suggesting that a new engine variant is coming to the compact crossover, likely as part of a next-generation model launch.
The powertrain is easy enough to guess — given the NX shares much of its underpinnings with the Toyota RAV4, that model’s A25A-FKS 2.5L four-cylinder engine is the safe bet.
The NX originally launched in 2014, with a mid-cycle refresh happening in 2017. A next-generation model is expected some time in the next year.
(The NX 250 nameplate was filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office on April 7, 2020 under #88862269. Thanks mwyf!)

Continue reading...

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Well ICE powers battery which then provides power to the rear motors.
If I'm not mistaken the RAV4 E-Four allows direct power transfer from MG1 (generator) to MG3 (rear motor) without going through HVB. Their demonstration video shows MG3 could be powered directly by HVB, this doesn't seem to be true since MG3 doesn't have an independent inverter. Instead it draws power from the central inverter (shared with MG2) in the front. It's different from the Prius/UX E-Four which has a completely independent MG3 that can only draw power from HVB.

A 20:80 distribution could mean 10kW to the front 40kW to the rear. It is not limited by battery power but by motor power.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
What's the 0-60 going to be on this 2.5? Doesn't the current 2.0 get to 7.0 but the current RAV4 go 0-60 in like 8?

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
What's the 0-60 going to be on this 2.5? Doesn't the current 2.0 get to 7.0 but the current RAV4 go 0-60 in like 8?

It's gonna be pedestrian 0-60 much like RAV4 most likely. Toyota is really not putting emphasis on acceleration with small engines. Biggest offender being 300h, that engine does not like to accelerate so no wonder it's efficient.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
It's gonna be pedestrian 0-60 much like RAV4 most likely. Toyota is really not putting emphasis on acceleration with small engines. Biggest offender being 300h, that engine does not like to accelerate so no wonder it's efficient.

300h is very much good enough performance wise, better than 2.0l and 2.5l petrols.

2019 Rav4 went from 8.7s 0-60 to 8.2s 0-60 and more importantly 80-120kmh went from 7.2s to 5.6s.

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
If I'm not mistaken the RAV4 E-Four allows direct power transfer from MG1 (generator) to MG3 (rear motor) without going through HVB. Their demonstration video shows MG3 could be powered directly by HVB, this doesn't seem to be true since MG3 doesn't have an independent inverter. Instead it draws power from the central inverter (shared with MG2) in the front. It's different from the Prius/UX E-Four which has a completely independent MG3 that can only draw power from HVB.

A 20:80 distribution could mean 10kW to the front 40kW to the rear. It is not limited by battery power but by motor power.

interesting, so you think MG3 cant be powered with engine off, like Prius/UX can?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
And NX350 has been trademarked for the US as well.

ImageAgentProxy
ImageAgentProxy

So they keep/use "350" for the new turbo 4-cylinder, which would mean we can expect similar performance to the GR V6. Not that any of us didn't expect this, but it's nice to have the confirmation. At this point, it seems like the NX might be the first vehicle to debut this engine?

I guess it's also possible for the IS, but I am doubtful. I heard "carryover engines" for 4IS based on the nomenclature, but you wouldn't necessarily know if an "IS 350" is a 3.5L V6 or a 2.4/2.5L turbo 4 from that. One can dream.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
If this drives 80% of a base Macan, I think my wife will be happy but then again, I have the Toyota/Lexus (reliability) curse and so can wait for the BEV version.