Toyota Land Cruiser Megathread (300, 250, Prado, etc)

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
While I don't have ready access to Kodansha (Best Car) at the moment, this what I found out hours ago through an automotive website and a internal source at Toyota via a forum.
Screenshot_20180726-061605_Instagram.jpg
The 300-Series Land Cruiser will have the LS V6, called V35A-FTS or a Dynamic Force variation of it. The last SOP date I had for the LX was January 2020, but they are saying July 2020. This makes sense, as the redesigned Land Cruiser has not been announced at dealer meetings nor really any MY 2021 vehicles apparently, but IDK.

Reactions
While I don't have ready access to Kodansha (Best Car) at the moment, this what I found out hours ago through an automotive website and a internal source at Toyota via a forum.
View attachment 2921
The 300-Series Land Cruiser will have the LS V6, called V35A-FTS or a Dynamic Force variation of it. The last SOP date I had for the LX was January 2020, but they are saying July 2020. This makes sense, as the redesigned Land Cruiser has not been announced at dealer meetings nor really any MY 2021 vehicles apparently, but IDK.

As much as I am hyped for the next LX and Land Cruiser so everything about it can become brand new, it needs to have a V8. They shouldn't copy the Lincoln Navigator/Ford Expedition formula. Keep the TTV6 as a base engine, but it needs to have a massive V8, or if not, have some sort of Dynamic Force V8. Or bring in the twin-turbo 4.0L V8 they've been talking about forever!

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
So after four years the car will finally return to China since displacement tax forced the LC200 4600 and 5700 out of the country. The tourism industry in Tibet had to rely on Middle-East spec LC200 4000 grey imports for rentals and charter tours which greatly increased cost over there. Most companies switched to the LC150 Prado. However the LC200 4600 costs only ~20% more to operate than the LC150 4000 but carries 50% more passengers (6 vs. 4).

The question is, will there be an un-downsized naturally aspirated V8 for the LC300? Every time I say Toyota is committed to downsizing and not making another NA motor some on the forum get upset.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
As much as I am hyped for the next LX and Land Cruiser so everything about it can become brand new, it needs to have a V8. They shouldn't copy the Lincoln Navigator/Ford Expedition formula. Keep the TTV6 as a base engine, but it needs to have a massive V8, or if not, have some sort of Dynamic Force V8. Or damn it, bring in the twin-turbo 4.0L V8 they've been talking about forever!

For North America they might bring the V8TT for TRD Pro trucks/SUVs against the Raptors. The thing is, the Raptor has an Ecoboost 3.5 and it's working just fine.

I think they are going to sell (much) more TRD Pros than Lexus F cars. So using the V8TT on trucks and SUVs makes a lot of sense. I don't know the exact figures, but I'm confident the Raptor aka the performance model of the most popular truck in the U.S. sells more than the GS-F.

Reactions
For North America they might bring the V8TT for TRD Pro trucks/SUVs against the Raptors. The thing is, the Raptor has an Ecoboost 3.5 and it's working just fine.

I think they are going to sell (much) more TRD Pros than Lexus F cars. So using the V8TT on trucks and SUVs makes a lot of sense. I don't know the exact figures, but I'm confident the Raptor aka the performance model of the most popular truck in the U.S. sells more than the GS-F.

Definitely, the V8's need to come. However something just came up in my head. What's funny is that power wise, the V35A-FTS is an asphalt eating monster compared to other V6 engines. I feel like in the TRD Pro, it is probably enough to put the full 416 horsepower engine and fight the Raptor, only trailing it by 34 horsepower. Also, Toyota tends to be a lot more ingenious in their engineering design, so I feel the V6 probably doesn't need to be further tuned anyway. The engine is already that good out of the gate. However, since Toyota/Lexus have a tradition to slap V8's in many of their big cars or more sportier cars, and are more averse to the downsizing trend (a la Mercedes-Benz), I totally feel (like you) that a Raptor fighter should have a V8.

Ray99

Founding Member
Reactions
Recently, Japanase 4x4 magazine publish article about future Land Cruiser. The engine that it will carry is 3.4L V6 with 10
speed transmissions. Lexus LX will follow suit. Is this the end of V8 engine for Toyota/Lexus family?

Reactions
Recently, Japanase 4x4 magazine publish article about future Land Cruiser. The engine that it will carry is 3.4L V6 with 10
speed transmissions. Lexus LX will follow suit. Is this the end of V8 engine for Toyota/Lexus family?

@Carmaker1 Seems like there is someone else who came up with such rumors. But it’s from a Japanese magazine.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Will there be a low octane rated V35A-FTS? If so I doubt the output will be the same 310kW/415hp as the LS500 which runs on Premium. IIRC their last generation truck engines are flex-octane i.e. operate on 88RON/85AKI all the way up to 95RON/91AKI.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Definitely, the V8's need to come. However something just came up in my head. What's funny is that power wise, the V35A-FTS is an asphalt eating monster compared to other V6 engines.

In my experience, Ford's EcoBoost V6s blow the doors off the V35A-FTS. I spent several days with an F-150 with the 3.5L V6 and that is the closest execution of downsizing done right, in my opinion. There is no turbo lag, it's seamless, it sounds good, the power delivery is linear... I could go on. That is really a first-rate engine. I absolutely loved it.

Perhaps Lexus/Toyota can better tune their 3.5L TT V6 for future applications.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Well for trucks it's all about sustained output, durability, and cost of operation. As long as the V35A works it's not a problem for the Land Cruiser. The engineering challenge here is very different from a performance engine so the usual 'enthusiast talk' doesn't apply.

TMC is putting a lot of pressure on itself trying to engineer a downsized engine that can replace a good old understressed big block V8.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Well for trucks it's all about sustained output, durability, and cost of operation. As long as the V35A works it's not a problem for the Land Cruiser. The engineering challenge here is very different from a performance engine so the usual 'enthusiast talk' doesn't apply.

TMC is putting a lot of pressure on itself trying to engineer a downsized engine that can replace a good old understressed big block V8.

I do agree with you, but we are talking about $85k Land Cruiser and $100k LX... so they also need to be powerful and smooth, and feel on par with Range Rover, Escalade, GLS and others. If this was just about longevity, they'd keep building the UR V8, to your latter point.

Ford has done a good job with combining all of these elements into a great (workhorse) engine.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions

Interesting, which 4x4 magazine? That is essentially echoing what I just said above, as Kodansha is the Japanese magazine source I named in my OP. At the moment I cannot buy it digitally and wasn't interested in ordering and waiting for a physical copy, so someone else hopefully can.

Here's an interesting article on the next LandCruiser/ LX as well as a 3444cc V6 engine? I would assume it's "3.5L"
https://www.carscoops.com/2018/07/new-toyota-land-cruiser-render-land-rover-flair/

My quip about "LS V6" referred to that, since the V35A-FTS is the 3.5L engine the LS 500 uses.

Not directed at you per se, but Carscoops simply copied and pasted as they usually do, from more credible publications. Their "article" is no different than the rest of what's out there and didn't really provide anything more.

Also a general note, please NO ONE post any content from Carscoops in any thread I create. Legally, the owner John Halas has been warned by me, to never post anything related to me or any information, from which I am the original (publicizing) source of it (long story). And similar to me, to do so in return.

Because of some Infiniti related (and 200B LS) drama, John Halas became petty and banned me in January. Over me exposing an endlessly incorrigible and continually unprofessional and irresponsible aspect of their reporting, which relied too much on opinionated (obtuse) speculation and lazy conjecture (leaving other people to correct them so often, dispel fallacies).

Simply put, if not for being quick with posting OEM press releases, spy shots, and milking the predictive renderings of their gifted artist Josh Byrnes, their traffic would barely be a 1/10th of Lexus Enthusiast's. Their site survives way too much on dashcam clickbait and tabloid like fluff.

Many times they have taken information posted here by me and others, then reworded it to discredit the source, so I have no regard for them and made it very clear to Carscoops I won't acknowledge nor borrow from them, plus the same I expect towards me legally. (Quite a statement, but I don't want to be seen as borrowing from them when not allowed and encounter issues).

Last edited:

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I own both generations of the Raptor pickups and can confidently say, a well-executed versiom of the V35A-FTS for truck applications, could indeed rival my truck, plus have more longevity and less fuss compared to Ford.

My supercharged 2014 6.2 Raptor (Gen 1) stateside, is still no match for my 2018 (Gen 2). Both of them are parked in a mountainous metro, in which the FI 2018 did eons better than the 2014 6.2 NA before S/Cing it. If Toyota could put that TTV6 in the next Tundra and 300, it would be sublime. I don't see them putting a TTV8 in a Land Cruiser unfortunately, unless diesel and even that time has probably passed.:(

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
I own both generations of the Raptor pickups and can confidently say, a well-executed versiom of the V35A-FTS for truck applications, could indeed rival my truck, plus have more longevity and less fuss compared to Ford.

My supercharged 2014 6.2 Raptor (Gen 1) stateside, is still no match for my 2018 (Gen 2). Both of them are parked in a mountainous metro, in which the FI 2018 did eons better than the 2014 6.2 NA before S/Cing it. If Toyota could put that TTV6 in the next Tundra and 300, it would be sublime. I don't see them putting a TTV8 in a Land Cruiser unfortunately, unless diesel and even that time has probably passed.:(

The market is moving up and they NEED to offer a TTV-8. You got the new G550, new GLS, new X7, Bentayga, etc etc... the new Lincoln Navigator with a TTV-6 makes 450 or so hp....

I love the LX... just had 8 people in it for dinner Friday (adults, teens, child) but it feels adequate. At 100k this vehicle should have over 400hp and closer to 450/500....

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Got to hear this from the same Russian guy who told me before about the AWD Camry

Regarding to both V8's
4.5L Diesel & 4.7 Gasoline and the V6 4.0L Gasoline

All the 3 will be replaced with the 3.5TT & 3.5 Hybrid,, even he told me that as the new Rav4 the hybrid will be the more powerful so I guess that means that the Hybrid will use forced engine not NA

First Edit: That means the Top V8 will get a new V8 and not be replaced with the 3.5 V6

Second Edit: That Japanese report was talking about the international version of the Land Cruiser which as I mentioned uses 2 old V8's and 1 old V6

Third Edit: the new 3.5L V6 will top the next GX, Prado, 4Runner, Fortuner & Tacoma, not for Hilux though as the Hilux may had 2 versions of Hybrid and 1 gasoline, the same of what Toyota keep doing lately, the gasoline version of the Hilux will be shared with the new Camry 4 cylinders
I think they want to milk the R&D costs to the max.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Not saying the info isn't true, but I will believe a 416hp/443lb-ft TT V6 4Runner/Tacoma when I see it.

We are talking about vehicles that start in the $30k realm and go up to ~$45k. A brand new, twin-turbo V6 with a 10AT is a huge investment for something like that. I assume these new versions will be more expensive, but that just seems like a lot of money and engine for something that would be perfectly fine with a lot "less."

Are we nearing the era of $60k 4Runner and Tacoma...?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
All the 3 will be replaced with the 3.5TT & 3.5 Hybrid,, even he told me that as the new Rav4 the hybrid will be the more powerful so I guess that means that the Hybrid will use forced engine not NA

Specifically, I am not sure about this part being true. With regard to the 2019 Rav4, Toyota has been promoting the Rav4 XSE as the "fastest and sportiest" model out of the lineup, but that's because it's packing the same hybrid 4cylinder setup as the ES, Avalon and Camry. This makes it faster than the 203/206hp A25A-FKS I4, but I would not use this as the crystal ball to determine that all of these other vehicles will use a turbocharged hybrid setup. That, in particular, would be an extremely expensive drivetrain that would probably be reserved for LC/LS/LX/LF-1 in its first iteration. Possibly also Land Cruiser, but certainly such an engine would be way too expensive for 4Runner, Tacoma and possibly also GX.

Last edited:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
We may talking about 3.5TT for the TRD Tacos and 4Runners as well as the GX

Maybe we will see 3.5NA in lower versions and maybe even the new 2.5L as we will see it in the next Hilux / Fortuner

I didn't say that the powerful hybrid version will be use in the mid
I meant to say only on the LC300, LX, Sequoia and Tundra