2021 Toyota HiLux update revealed

suxeL

Follower
Reactions

The 2021 Toyota HiLux has been officially revealed before its Australian arrival in August.
Sporting a new, more muscular and truck-like front-end design, the midlife makeover for Australia’s most popular new vehicle also brings more power, improved fuel economy and a higher towing capacity than before.
Inside, Toyota’s existing infotainment system has been updated with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity, along with a restyled interior and instrument panel.
Visually, the 2021 Toyota HiLux is differentiated via a new frontal treatment “more in keeping with the global Toyota ute/truck family” and punctuated by a large chromed trapezoidal grille and revised headlights with new LED DRL signatures.
Some models also come with LED tail-lights and new wheel designs, while top-spec variants will score bi-LED headlights.

2021-hilux-ute-front-red.jpg

2021-hilux-ute-interior-cabin.jpg

They gave it a nice trim and tuck. Love the power upgrades and of course STANDARD CARPLAY AND ANDROID AUTO. I assume/hope the prado gets some of this interior tech...AndroidPlay, which might push Lexus to MY21 upgrade the GX (hope is a hella of a. ...)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I guess this buys them 2-3 years until a TNGA-F Hilux arrives?

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Looks good. Softer looks. Wish Toyota brought the Hilux to U.S. and Canada.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Next gen Hilux, Prado and derived products should up their powertrains. Next Ford Ranger is to come with TDV6 and TTV6. No chance with underpowered 4 cylinders.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Next gen Hilux, Prado and derived products should up their powertrains. Next Ford Ranger is to come with TDV6 and TTV6. No chance with underpowered 4 cylinders.

Didn't Ranger already have a v6 diesel? And VWs pickup too?

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Didn't Ranger already have a v6 diesel? And VWs pickup too?

Only Amarok and Navara-based X Class. Previous gen Navara had V6 diesel as FX30d from Renault. Ranger had or yet has 3.2 5 cylinder, before 2.0 biturbo 4 cylinder came.

In Europe the Ranger is (was?) more lifestyle truck, similar to Amarok, than a serious work horse as the Hilux. Many crew cab 3.2 Wildtracks are sold.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
**Most powerful diesel HiLux ever in Australia with 165kW and 550Nm**
**Off-road halo model with wider tracks, tuned suspension, bigger disc brakes**
**Rally-inspired GR design upgrades**

Last edited:

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
Maybe since they introduced this GR sports, they're not redesigning the Hilux for this year or next year. Side note I wonder what's the better between this GR Hilux vs TRD Pro Tacoma, what are the differences between the way GR trucks vs TRD trucks are designed.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The GR Hilux will be way above TRD Pro Tacoma. All GR cars are designed to be race-ready out of the factory. GR Hilux is their biggest program after GR Corolla and I won't be surprised at all if they use the race car first production car second development strategy. TRD Pro is basically just an accessory series that comes with factory warranty.

They had a hard-fought win this year. From all the years prior we know FIA just hates Toyota and doesn't want the Hilux to win. First with unfair power advantage to diesels then unfair tire advantage to 2WD buggies. Then when BoP finally became fair last year the Hilux just wins convincingly. This year they tried very hard to let Audi's "EV" (no it's a series hybrid that has no road-relevance at all) win by handing them free power increases, only for both Audis to crash out.

I don't know why FIA is so obsessed with micro-managing BoPs in every racing series they touch (like, down to a fraction of a horsepower level of micromanagement). Just put a budget cap and let the teams race.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
TRD PRO is an America-only (mostly accessory) play to @ssun30's point. GR is Toyota's global performance brand, so there are certainly more dollars and focus going into GR products.

I asked this exact question at HQ Confidential in 2021 and that was the answer I got. It's mostly due to name recognition for "TRD" in USA, where there is 0 awareness of "GR." Going forward, sedan and coupe -- maybe crossover -- products in USA will be GR while BOF products will all be TRD PRO. Behind the scenes, I do expect that GR R&D could bleed over into BOF TRD PRO products, just under a different name.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Given the trail hunter line turned out to be just another accessory package aimed at the overland segment and already said it's the new flagship trim, I don't think TM USA is interested in making race-ready trucks.

Reactions
Given the trail hunter line turned out to be just another accessory package aimed at the overland segment and already said it's the new flagship trim, I don't think TM USA is interested in making race-ready trucks.

You'd have to imagine the uproar from customers if they saw the Hilux become converted into a genuine performance product and not the Tacoma.

If the Hilux gets the GR Yaris treatment, the Tacoma will most likely get the GR Corolla treatment. In my opinion, it has to, because Ford is swinging for the fences with the Ranger Raptor.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I think a GR Tacoma with the V35 would sell incredibly well. Toyota could really just port the Tundra V35, transmission and wider rear axle over to the Tacoma, then create a long-travel front end. If Toyota went all out on the Tacoma like Ford did on the F150 Raptor, a GR Tacoma would be very popular.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
Toyota should leave the 348hp 405lbft V35 for the TRD PRO Tacoma/4Runner, and Trailhunter if they come. That way there is still a V6 but in the top version.