3. Honda Civic
  4. Nissan Altima
  5. Toyota Corolla
  6. Chevrolet Silverado
  7. Chevrolet Malibu
  8. Chevrolet Impala
  9. Toyota Tacoma
  10. Honda CR-V
No surprise, the F150 is #1...wondering why Camry and RAV4 aren't tops in any state because they are the top sellers in their respective classes. Tacoma is no surprise, Hawaiian love Toyota trucks, though Florida and Corolla seems to be an anomaly.

Last edited:

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
I call this: "Lies, damned lies, and statistics".

I don't understand this report. I am not sure I understand the methodology. Did this mag invent another metric -- "Most Popular Cars in America (but not necessarily the best-selling cars in America)" -- just for the sake of inventing a new metric?

Why is the Nissan Altima on the list but the Toyota Camry is not? Where is the Toyota RAV4? Both Toyotas, I believe, are top-10 sellers?

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Pretty much all of these "most popular X by state" charts have turned out to be misleading clickbait. There was one that showed In-and-Out as the most popular fast food restaurant in several states where one doesn't exist, for instance.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The part about the F-150 being the most popular in the Plains/Mountain states and Alaska is probably true....but I question the figures along the West Coast and East of the Mississippi. It also may not take into consideration the exploding popularity of the Tesla Model 3.

Still, an interesting post on Tragic Bronson's part 👍....and it's not his fault if some of the data is off.

JJohn341

Fan
Reactions
When they say F-Series it means all the different models, right? Not Just F-150. So this data is even more erroneous. Every other vehicle is comprised of just one to two model from a manufacturer.

Reactions
The part about the F-150 being the most popular in the Plains/Mountain states and Alaska is probably true....but I question the figures along the West Coast and East of the Mississippi. It also may not take into consideration the exploding popularity of the Tesla Model 3.

Still, an interesting post on Tragic Bronson's part 👍....and it's not his fault if some of the data is off.
Yeah, some of the data is questionable, but the data on Hawaii is pretty solid; just go to Youtube and the proof is there lol.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Toyota is pretty much the only brand with extensive dealership network on the Hawaiian Islands from what I recall and those are packed with Tacomas!

Reactions
Toyota is pretty much the only brand with extensive dealership network on the Hawaiian Islands from what I recall and those are packed with Tacomas!
I think Tacomas fit the culture of Hawaiians, which is unlike the Mainland US...even 4Runners are often the choice of vehicle for the cops who are given a stipend.

Last edited:
Reactions
Most popular brands, Best 10 cars.etc. Those headlines are in purpose of attract traffics, and a means of marketing.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
No offense intended to the car, but being pulled over by a 4Runner would suck. (An RX would be worse, though).

If you think a 4Runner s**ks, how do you think the cop feels driving one? They were really wedded to those Crown Vics before Ford stopped producing them....even for the police.

Besides, it's like they really need that 4WD in the tropical Hawaiian climate LOL. (assuming they are not driving RWD versions).

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
If you think a 4Runner s**ks, how do you think the cop feels driving one? They were really wedded to those Crown Vics before Ford stopped producing them....even for the police.

The Crown Vic Police Interceptor was durable, roomy, reasonably fast, and parts were cheap since they basically didn't change mechanically for 30 years. Looks-wise I like the Chargers that are being used a fair amount for police cars now but I have doubts that they share any of those virtues except for being fast.