supra93

Expert
Reactions
Saw this on vwvortex.com

20C0455_005.jpg

20C0455_001.jpg

20C0455_007.jpg

20C0455_002.jpg

More pics out in the open. I'm getting some murmurs that the SL and AMG GT are going to be more similar than I originally thought. I guess that was naive given I knew they were sharing the same transaxle drivetrain.

SL 43 AMG (232.450) / AMG GT 43 Coupé:

As in the C 43 AMG 4matic +, the new M254 2.0 liter 4-cylinder with 390 hp and overboost are used. In addition, he has the new AMG E-Turbo of the medium 8 PS E-machine (48 volts) to fill the turbo lag on the turbocharger shaft. There is a 48 volt 20 HP ISG (integrated starter generator) in the bell housing. The use of a 4-cylinder may be surprising, but the current Jaguar F-Type P300 also uses a 4-cylinder.

SL 53 4matic+ (232.451) / AMG GT 53 4matic+ Coupé:

The setting here is similar to that of the 43. Here, however, the M139 4-cylinder is used. Coupled here also with the electric AMG turbocharger and here also with the variable 4matic+ all-wheel drive. The output is around 450 hp. Instead of a 48 volt ISG with 20 hp, a 400 volt ISG version could be used here.

SL 53e 4matic+ (232.452) / AMG GT 53e 4matic+ Coupé:

The concept was hotly debated on the C 63e S 4matic+. The M139 4-cylinder petrol engine is used. The 9G-Tronic with 4matic+ distributes the power to all 4 wheels (fully variable between the front and rear axles). There is also an electric motor on the rear axle (P3 layout). The electrical range will be around 60 km. The system performance at just over 500 HP.

SL 63 4matic+ (232.481) / AMG GT 63 4matic+ Coupé:

This engine combination is already well known. M177 4.0 liter V8 BiTurbo combined with a 21 HP ISG (48 volt) and 612 HP from the combustion engine ensure a sprint to 100 km/h in around 3.5 s (AMG GT Coupé approx. 3.4 s)

SL 73e 4matic+ (232.482) / AMG GT 73e 4matic+:

This variant has already been announced for the mid-term passing AMG GT 4-door (X290) for mid-2021. It is the same configuration as for the SL 53e only that the 4.0 liter V8 BiTurbo is used here. Its performance is paired with a P3 plug-in hybrid (electric motor on the rear axle) and could produce up to 800 hp.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Excited to see how this comes together. I feel like the SL has been neglected for a while... good to see Mercedes focusing on it again.

Reactions
Saw this on vwvortex.com

20C0455_005.jpg

20C0455_001.jpg

20C0455_007.jpg

20C0455_002.jpg

More pics out in the open. I'm getting some murmurs that the SL and AMG GT are going to be more similar than I originally thought. I guess that was naive given I knew they were sharing the same transaxle drivetrain.

SL 43 AMG (232.450) / AMG GT 43 Coupé:

As in the C 43 AMG 4matic +, the new M254 2.0 liter 4-cylinder with 390 hp and overboost are used. In addition, he has the new AMG E-Turbo of the medium 8 PS E-machine (48 volts) to fill the turbo lag on the turbocharger shaft. There is a 48 volt 20 HP ISG (integrated starter generator) in the bell housing. The use of a 4-cylinder may be surprising, but the current Jaguar F-Type P300 also uses a 4-cylinder.

SL 53 4matic+ (232.451) / AMG GT 53 4matic+ Coupé:

The setting here is similar to that of the 43. Here, however, the M139 4-cylinder is used. Coupled here also with the electric AMG turbocharger and here also with the variable 4matic+ all-wheel drive. The output is around 450 hp. Instead of a 48 volt ISG with 20 hp, a 400 volt ISG version could be used here.

SL 53e 4matic+ (232.452) / AMG GT 53e 4matic+ Coupé:

The concept was hotly debated on the C 63e S 4matic+. The M139 4-cylinder petrol engine is used. The 9G-Tronic with 4matic+ distributes the power to all 4 wheels (fully variable between the front and rear axles). There is also an electric motor on the rear axle (P3 layout). The electrical range will be around 60 km. The system performance at just over 500 HP.

SL 63 4matic+ (232.481) / AMG GT 63 4matic+ Coupé:

This engine combination is already well known. M177 4.0 liter V8 BiTurbo combined with a 21 HP ISG (48 volt) and 612 HP from the combustion engine ensure a sprint to 100 km/h in around 3.5 s (AMG GT Coupé approx. 3.4 s)

SL 73e 4matic+ (232.482) / AMG GT 73e 4matic+:

This variant has already been announced for the mid-term passing AMG GT 4-door (X290) for mid-2021. It is the same configuration as for the SL 53e only that the 4.0 liter V8 BiTurbo is used here. Its performance is paired with a P3 plug-in hybrid (electric motor on the rear axle) and could produce up to 800 hp.

This is great and all, but what the f*ck happened to the sweet inline-six/V6? 53's and 43's need to be 6-cylinders wtf.

Reactions
The V6 is old and the inline 6 is too long to satisfy a front-mid engine layout (since this platform will be shared with the new amg gt as well) I presume

It still doesn't sit well with me though. Mercedes-AMG continues to offer the AMG 43 engine in the E-Class and the C-Class. As for the AMG 53 engine, it isn't THAT much longer than the V8. I genuinely doubt that people of that would opt for the 4-cylinder car. They're going to face the same conundrum that Porsche did with the 718 Cayman/Boxster. They're going to want a good six-cylinder engine as well as a V8. It was already insanely tough to see the V12 disappear. Now the six-cylinder? It makes no sense at all.

super51fan

Follower
Reactions
It still doesn't sit well with me though. Mercedes-AMG continues to offer the AMG 43 engine in the E-Class and the C-Class. As for the AMG 53 engine, it isn't THAT much longer than the V8. I genuinely doubt that people of that would opt for the 4-cylinder car. They're going to face the same conundrum that Porsche did with the 718 Cayman/Boxster. They're going to want a good six-cylinder engine as well as a V8. It was already insanely tough to see the V12 disappear. Now the six-cylinder? It makes no sense at all.

Both those models are several years old though.

Their 6 cylinders are not going away. The V6 is being phased out because of age and the inline 6 will continue in other models. In a space frame chassis like the AMG GT's there is physically no space for an inline 6 assuming they are using a similar design again.

2020-AMG-GT-COUPE-067.jpg

Levi

Expert
Reactions
If there is 4matic (awd), it won't be transaxle. How will they do the transaxle awd? There are only two ways, one is like GTR R35, the other is front electric motor (Ferrari uses another gearbox).

Or will they make both normal and transaxle, depending on whether rwd or awd, like Maserati did, where the SMT was transaxle, and the AUT was normal, all as rwd. Only now Aston Martin has a tranaxle that is automatic and not sequential.

super51fan

Follower
Reactions
If there is 4matic (awd), it won't be transaxle. How will they do the transaxle awd? There are only two ways, one is like GTR R35, the other is front electric motor (Ferrari uses another gearbox).

Or will they make both normal and transaxle, depending on whether rwd or awd, like Maserati did, where the SMT was transaxle, and the AUT was normal, all as rwd. Only now Aston Martin has a tranaxle that is automatic and not sequential.

I'm assuming the AWD system will be accomplished with an e-axle in front of the engine instead of a physical link between the transaxle and front axle

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I'm assuming the AWD system will be accomplished with an e-axle in front of the engine instead of a physical link between the transaxle and front axle
If they do it so, respect. Ferrari Purosangue will also be so.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The I6 vs. V6 debate is always something hard to swallow. I6 is superior to V6 in every aspect, but its one weakness (length) is just too strong. So when a manufacturer doesn't develop a new V6 and their I6 doesn't fit the next 'best' thing would be I4...

The front-mounted through-the-road AWD system is so awkward to implement as there's all that weight hanging in front of the front axle. To get 100kW out of it requires at minimum 50kg of added weight for just the motor and reduction gear, not to mention the packaging nightmare (I doubt it's even feasible with a V6, with V4 or Boxer-4 it's quite doable). It's just a lot of engineering for a simple problem. The GT-R solution is quite mature, and the electric motor can just be integrated into the transaxle as a P2 or P3 soluion which further helps weight distribution.

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
From the side it looks like a Miata with a body kit, especially towards the rear. Hopefully these renders aren't totally accurate.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
If you remove the emblem and the vents.... it's pretty generic.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Looks decent. Mercedes' design is starting to become sort of basic and predictable again...

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
So it's the same everything with from mechanics to chassis to interior and exterior design

NEXT