MichaelL

Follower
Reactions
I’m sure their accountants looked at the costs and felt it wasn’t worth it in a shrinking market segment. That’s all I’m saying. Can’t imagine bmw ever getting rid of their 3 series since it’s a part of their DNA.
I hear you. It just isn't BMW, it is MB, Audi, Volvo, Genesis, etc.... all of them have newer small sedans than Lexus. This "refresh" doesn't count. Unconscionable.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
I’m sure their accountants looked at the costs and felt it wasn’t worth it in a shrinking market segment. That’s all I’m saying. Can’t imagine bmw ever getting rid of their 3 series since it’s a part of their DNA.
It is a small market segment and is owned by the Germans. Even a totally new car would probably not gain much more sales.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Biggest problem though with Lexus on this "market/segment" is (I know GS was bigger) but without the GS now and not totally redoing the IS just seems like a failure. I mean you just cut costs by no more GS which means you should of been able to put budget towards the IS to make it really a kick ass car. This thing is such a beauty outside but the same inside and engine just seems like they've given up on this entire sedan market which is sad.

Reactions
Wasn’t the whole point of platform sharing to reduce costs? I’m not sure how it’s too expensive still to produce a new competitive product that can actually keep up with the competition. Could they just make tnga better so Lexus can use it too?(make everything AWD) Even though some could argue that the platform isn’t the issue bc it handles good enough and is safe in crash testing. The problem is the drive trains like jeez!!! we can boast about how thermally efficient it is until the polar ice caps melt but most people could careless about thermal efficiency bc they can‘t feel the difference. All this money in R&R they could have invested in a motor that gave us more power and better mpg till we transition into alternative fuel/ electric. then idk shove that in every other vehicle that’s had the same motor for the past decade to reduce costs.

Reactions
On the face of it, I'm not sure the 2021 IS won't sell well. Majority of compact sports sedan buyers aren't car enthusiasts and IMHO, the 2021 IS is the best looking car in the segment. The looks alone will sell the car.

Now looking at it from the middle class car enthusiast standpoint, the pricing of the IS350 F-Sport is competitive : it's priced similar to the 330i/C300/A4s of the world and is very competitive in terms of hp, speed and handling. Interior user interface? With the touchscreen, Apple Carplay and Android Auto, it doesn't lack any of the modern day functionality. In fact, I'd argue that with the improvements in chassis and suspension from the Shimoyama track tuning, the 2021 IS350 might have the edge in handling and driver enjoyment.

I also don't understand the obsession of some posters regarding "newer must be better". The downside of a brand new powertrain,chassis or interior user interface will invariably be more short term and long term defects, engineering design mistakes and electrical gremlins.

If an older platform IS350 still outhandles and gives better driver engagement than a spanking brand new chassis 330i/C300/A4,then who cares if the platform or powertrain is older? And for similar price and with far more reliability and less maintenance headaches than a highly strung small capacity turbo 4 banger to boot.

The IS350 F-Sport is perfectly fine. It's only problem is that there is no IS500 F-Sport above it to compete in the significantly more expensive M340i/S4/C43AMG segment. Then again these cars are essentially unicorns since the Internet drools over the CONCEPT of these cars but hardly anyone actually forks over their hard earned cash to buy a single unit of these cars. These cars only exist in car magazines shootouts and reviews but never on real world streets.

At least Lexus priced the IS350 F-Sport as more attainable by middle class driving enthusiasts.

Last edited:
Reactions
On the face of it, I'm not sure the 2021 IS won't sell well. Majority of compact sports sedan buyers aren't car enthusiasts and IMHO, the 2021 IS is the best looking car in the segment. The looks alone will sell the car.
While the looks can sell some, those enthusiasts not interested in the Germans still have the Stinger, G70, Q50 and the all new TLX to contend with, and all these have more power than the IS350. But IMO, many buyers in this segment have gone with the Model 3 over everything else. It will be a matter of how much incentives are available.

Reactions
Arizona Deal - Lexus is offering buyers in western states 0% financing for 60 months on the 2021 IS. That's unusual considering the car was substantially updated and only recently arrived on dealer lots. There's also a $1,500 loyalty discount, and leases now qualify for a complimentary first payment (ends Nov. 30).

Levi

Expert
Reactions
While the looks can sell some, those enthusiasts not interested in the Germans still have the Stinger, G70, Q50 and the all new TLX to contend with, and all these have more power than the IS350. But IMO, many buyers in this segment have gone with the Model 3 over everything else. It will be a matter of how much incentives are available.
I saw the Jaguar XE is no more sold. In Europe slightly used XE, XF are the best bang for buck (if reliability is fine, but that is valid for Germans too).

supra93

Expert
Reactions
TRD And Modellista Have Their Way With The 2021 Lexus IS

The facelifted 2021 Lexus IS was unveiled in June and already TRD and Modellista are offering styling upgrades.

Starting with TRD, it has launched a new front splitter that can be finished in black or painted body color. As standard, we think the updated IS looks pretty aggressive, but this new splitter makes it even more striking.

Elsewhere, TRD has designed aerodynamic wing mirror covers, new side skirts, a sports muffler and a custom rear diffuser.

TRD is also offering unique 20-inch forged aluminum wheels alongside a performance damper and new bracing. Those interested in the TRD parts can check them out in the online configurator.

As for Modellista, its parts are a little more subtle. At the front, there are new splitter add-ons that give the car some added style without being as eye-catching as the TRD splitter. Other parts include extended side skirts, a custom body-colored diffuser, a rear lip spoiler and a distinctive set of wheels.

In late September, Lexus confirmed that the 2021 IS will start at $39,000 in the U.S. The rear-wheel drive IS 300 is powered by a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder with 241 hp, whereas the all-wheel drive version gets a 260 hp 3.5-liter V6 and the range-topping IS 350 a 3.5-liter V6 pumping out 311 hp.

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/11/trd-and-modellista-have-their-way-with-the-2021-lexus-is/

Lexus-IS-6.jpg

Lexus-IS-7.jpg

Lexus-IS-10.jpg

Lexus-IS-9.jpg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Anyone notice the TRD Car has "F Sport Parts" on the license plates? I can't keep the relationship between TRD, F Sport, GR, etc. straight, but I have to wonder if some of this might actually make it to market as F Sport accessories like when Lexus launched them ~10 years ago.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I drove to Miami a couple of weeks ago working with Lexus on the new IS and my clients like ADV.1... hope you enjoy... I can't begin to explain the day it was due to a monsoon for one thing.... Not much could change and there isn't much for the vehicle. I was first to modify it partnering with Lexus Southern. I listened to feedback from Youtube and Lexus and basically blacked it out, lowered it about 1.2" on a prototype RS-R suspesnsion and added 20x9 and 20x10.5 ADV.1 FLOWspec ADV5.0 Wheels in Satin Black. Buckhead Imports in Atlanta worked with me to complete it.

Reactions
Anyone notice the TRD Car has "F Sport Parts" on the license plates? I can't keep the relationship between TRD, F Sport, GR, etc. straight, but I have to wonder if some of this might actually make it to market as F Sport accessories like when Lexus launched them ~10 years ago.

On the Lexus Japan website, you can add the TRD and Modellista parts as dealer options and buy the car as modified straight from the Lexus dealer.