Reactions
The configurator is live on the website, as many may know. No memory seats at all on the IS. Note it is available in Canada as an option, but somehow did not get carried over to the U.S. market. I know this will disappoint a lot of people.

Packages are a little weird too. Auto braking, rear-pedestrian detection, and the panoramic-view monitor are in one package. I would've thought the first two features would be a part of this whole new standard safety thing that Lexus tooted, but I guess not. And I'll bet money now that like with the NX here on the West Coast, this Panoramic-View Monitor Package will not be found on any dealer lot and will have to be a "special order." 🙄

I hope for 2022 Lexus gets its act together. This car is nice, but they dropped the ball on little features. I just want 'effin power-folding for the side mirrors. The good thing is that historically, luxury car makers make a lot of stuff standard and tweak stuff the second year of a redesign. Granted this isn't a formal redesign, I believe it's drastic enough so hopefully Lexus follows suit for 2022 and tweaks its packages and features. Otherwise..it'll be German again for me.

Last edited:

James

Founding Member
Reactions
THE 2021 IS
ALL-IN ENGINEERING. ALL-OUT PERFORMANCE

Ha that's the slogan...what performance do you have?? 0-60 in 5.7 seconds or whatever the hell it is. Now I do have to say those black matte rims or whatever look crazy good!

jelly1928

Fan
Reactions
THE 2021 IS
ALL-IN ENGINEERING. ALL-OUT PERFORMANCE

Ha that's the slogan...what performance do you have?? 0-60 in 5.7 seconds or whatever the hell it is. Now I do have to say those black matte rims or whatever look crazy good!

"Slightly faster than than a base 320i" lol

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
So the straight line performance has been steadily declining since the original IS350?

Yes. The 2006 IS 350 was originally clocked at 5.0 or 5.1 seconds 0-60, with an official quoted time of 5.6 seconds. As the years went on and they softened the engine and transmission tuning, the car has gotten slower.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
2006 IS 350 (NA) was as fast as 2007 335i (FI). As the years went on, not only did the BMW just get faster, but the Lexus got slower, widening the gap even more.

Reactions
Yes. The 2006 IS 350 was originally clocked at 5.0 or 5.1 seconds 0-60, with an official quoted time of 5.6 seconds. As the years went on and they softened the engine and transmission tuning, the car has gotten slower.

5.0?! Hell no dude those things ran at 4.7. They were f*cking QUICK.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
See and to me this is the problem! The 2021 IS looks great but when you step on the gas and no extra power I truly think people are just going to go elsewhere. I hope I'm wrong but lack of power is an issue with Lexus and it doesn't seem like they truly care.

jelly1928

Fan
Reactions
See and to me this is the problem! The 2021 IS looks great but when you step on the gas and no extra power I truly think people are just going to go elsewhere. I hope I'm wrong but lack of power is an issue with Lexus and it doesn't seem like they truly care.

Exactly. They're so far behind competition that it's literally sad. How can you charge upwards of 50k for just "a change of clothes" on the 2014 model. What makes it worse is that the mid-size v6 camry performs the same as this and is bigger

Reactions
Exactly. They're so far behind competition that it's literally sad. How can you charge upwards of 50k for just "a change of clothes" on the 2014 model. What makes it worse is that the mid-size v6 camry performs the same as this and is bigger
I think the MSRP will be meaningless when actual prices are being transacted. Even if an IS350 F with the DHC comes in around $52-55K MSRP, I expect some good incentives to bring that price down, probably under $50K perhaps...and will be watching for how much they will lease for as well. I know Infiniti was very aggressive with the Q50 RS400, with some $400/month deals.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Also the ES350 already hit traction limit in 2006 with the 270hp 2GR-FE doing 0-100km/h in less than 6 seconds. In fact it was the first FWD vehicle to hit the upper limit of how quickly a regular FWD vehicle can accelerate. 14 years later ES350 is still at that limit basically wasting the extra 30hp. If only there was some miracle technology that doesn't cause wheel spin 🤣

(A little bit of background: in early 2000s it was assumed in the industry that a road legal FWD vehicle cannot handle more than 220PS and do 0-100km/h in less than 7 seconds. A lot of hot hatch of that time were thus limited to about 200PS. Then the 2005 Avalon 3.5 came and smashed that barrier. With a closer ratio 6AT the 2006 ES350 set what is thought to be the new barrier of 5.9s. I remember quite clearly the top Chinese car magazine retested the ES350 many times because they thought the timing device was broken. It was not until the 2018 Civic Type-R FK8 that this "impossible barrier" was broken again).

5.0?! Hell no dude those things ran at 4.7. They were f*cking QUICK.
That's what I remember as well. The 2GR-FSE was designed to match the performance of the 3UZ-FE V8. And I recall the IS350 outperformed the GS430 which was the benchmark for sport sedans in early 2000s.

While many remember the IS250 as a underpowered trim level. It was also the fastest sedan with a sub-3.0L engine of its time until Infiniti came with the very high-revving VQ25HR. BBA had to use detuned 3.0L engines to compete against these two (and had worse fuel economy).

Last edited: