Levi

Expert
Reactions
It looks really very good, more mature. On the road it will be a head turner. Again, it makes every other car in class bland and boring. The interior is not enough, but the rivals in class, I don't like any better, still prefer the amazing IS layout. Unfortunately we in Europe will never see it, not even rarely.

joepac

Fan
Reactions
Take the time to read about the specifics. I really think we're doing ourselves a disservice not considering the sound system improvements, potential material improvements, safety systems, infotainment, driving dynamics, engine tuning, etc.

Let's give it more than 24 hours before declaring it DOA.
I've been watching videos (like Kris Kreifel's) and reading a bunch of articles on it and I am really loving the exterior. I never had a problem with the 3is interior (but I'm coming from a 2is) and think it still looks good. The power deficit is the one stickler, while 311hp is "enough" for 8/10, 9/10 driving I have to think if it's worth shelling out 55-60k for it. But man it looks soooo good to me! Even more good looking today than yesterday... So you may be on to something!

joepac

Fan
Reactions
... but an extra lb of boost for the 2.0T (275hp?) and a slightly highter redline on the V6 (350hp?) + a restyled dash would have made a lot of people very happy, and extended the life of this car in a meaningful way.

This! Exactly! 👏

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
Looking across social media, review sites and videos, I think this reveal can best be summed up as:

"The exterior redesign is so good looking that people are bittersweet and deeply upset about (1) the lack of engine updates and (2) the 90% carryover interior."

This is the massive disconnect between enthusiast and actual mass market consumers, which ultimately make up the overwhelming majority of buyers/owners.

General buyers don't care if there is a new engine, they care if the numbers match up generally with whatever else they're cross shopping with. The same buyers won't know the interior difference between the last IS and this new IS unless they are returning buyers.

Just looking on social media is not necessarily enough but it will set a tone. The only people who are even paying attention right now are so called enthusiasts. Those are the ones that will take the time to follow whats going on and exert the energy to publicly criticize. Because of course you're not a real enthusiast unless you're cool and bash the car on day 1, am I right?

For the Lexus community to completely sht on a car during the lead up and actual release of a new or refreshed model is entirely ordinary. All of this behavior is predictable and many of you guys are playing into your own stereotypes. Let's try to shake it up a little bit, people!

That being said, the car looks great! I never considered the IS but just based on looks alone, I want one. The future of Lexus design is exciting, can't wait to see more.

Let's give it more than 24 hours before declaring it DOA.

You give the community too much credit. Lol....

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
What was the reason they decided not to sell it in Europe? Without the IS the sedan line up for Lexus is pretty lame for a luxury brand, ES and LS (not counting the RC) so unless the SUV can make up for that gap the IS left (which I am not sure as I don’t think the IS is a cross shopping exercise for SUV)

assumption is that engines are effectively too dirty and volume too low for new European regulations.

When it comes to sales, Lexus is enjoying record sales worldwide and record sales in Europe, little of that is due to IS... it is based on UX, NX, RX sales.

Jezza819

Follower
Reactions
If I understand it right the only way to get an IS in F Sport trim is in the V6 now. To me that's a mistake because I think some people wanted the show more than the go even with it just being the 4 cylinder turbo. I've seen quite a few IS200t and IS300 turbos in F sport trim out on the road.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
This is the massive disconnect between enthusiast and actual mass market consumers, which ultimately make up the overwhelming majority of buyers/owners.

General buyers don't care if there is a new engine, they care if the numbers match up generally with whatever else they're cross shopping with. The same buyers won't know the interior difference between the last IS and this new IS unless they are returning buyers.

Just looking on social media is not necessarily enough. The only people who are even paying attention right now are so called enthusiasts. Those are the ones that will take the time to follow whats going on and exert the energy to publicly criticize. Because of course you're not a real enthusiast unless you're cool and bash the car on day 1, am I right?

For the Lexus community to completely sht on a car during the lead up and actual release of a new or refreshed model is entirely ordinary. All of this behavior is predictable and many of you guys are playing into your own stereotypes. Let's try to shake it up a little bit, people!

That being said, the car looks great! I never considered the IS but just based on looks alone, I want one. The future of Lexus design is exciting, can't wait to see more.
As long as we are not Octagenarians yet, we should have time to wait Lexus out.

Toyota discovered CP and AA and touchscreen sell.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

additionally, Lexus community is very hard to please - for instance i bet when LC-F, LS-F, etc, comes with 670hp engine, people will complain about MB having 673hp engine, Audi having torque vectoring, BMW having something else... then someone will also mention Hyundai, Acura or whatever else.

Best example how forum enthusiast is very different from actual buyers is GS. It was rated as best model in many comparos, it had GS-F, and yet it sold poorly. You can blame it for whatever else you want, reality is that german car buyers will not buy Lexus. Lexus needs to attract its own buyers and not build cars for german car enthusiasts.

Reason I mention forum enthusiasts is because people buying Lexus are certainly enthusiasts, but they dont have to be focused on same things as forum enthusiasts.

mikeavelli

Reactions
What was the reason they decided not to sell it in Europe? Without the IS the sedan line up for Lexus is pretty lame for a luxury brand, ES and LS (not counting the RC) so unless the SUV can make up for that gap the IS left (which I am not sure as I don’t think the IS is a cross shopping exercise for SUV)

It is a bit perplexing but seems the SUV and hybrid route with the new ES is what they figure they need. Its crazy to think IS stands for "International Sedan" and debuted in Europe in 1997 with its on I-6 (we got a bigger 2JZ in the USA in 2001).

I don't quite understand it since Europe still loves smaller vehicles and the ES is over ten inches longer than the IS. And they have an IS hybrid already.

momers

Fan
Reactions
Where are the leather seats, power folding mirrors and rear LED turn signals? What is Nu Luxe?

You will find the leather seats in the non-F-Sport in the US i guess. Many other markets like the GCC usually get the option to get an F-Sport in leather, as well as power folding mirrors, memory seats etc. in the F-sport trim.

NuLuxe is Lexus's synthetic leather aka leatherette.

Reactions
You will find the leather seats in the non-F-Sport in the US i guess. Many other markets like the GCC usually get the option to get an F-Sport in leather, as well as power folding mirrors, memory seats etc. in the F-sport trim.

NuLuxe is Lexus's synthetic leather aka leatherette.
Thanks! I could not find leather as an option anywhere when I built and priced a 2020 at least. Same with the power folding mirrors.

mikeavelli

Reactions

Just looking on social media is not necessarily enough but it will set a tone. The only people who are even paying attention right now are so called enthusiasts. Those are the ones that will take the time to follow whats going on and exert the energy to publicly criticize. Because of course you're not a real enthusiast unless you're cool and bash the car on day 1, am I right?

You give the community too much credit. Lol....

additionally, Lexus community is very hard to please - for instance i bet when LC-F, LS-F, etc, comes with 670hp engine, people will complain about MB having 673hp engine, Audi having torque vectoring, BMW having something else... then someone will also mention Hyundai, Acura or whatever else.

Best example how forum enthusiast is very different from actual buyers is GS. It was rated as best model in many comparos, it had GS-F, and yet it sold poorly. You can blame it for whatever else you want, reality is that german car buyers will not buy Lexus. Lexus needs to attract its own buyers and not build cars for german car enthusiasts.

Reason I mention forum enthusiasts is because people buying Lexus are certainly enthusiasts, but they dont have to be focused on same things as forum enthusiasts.

I don't think anyone here is being any worse than the majority of the commentary. Take 5 minutes to go over the Lexus channels, then go to Motor Trend etc. Even my personal FB page has people in utter disbelief the interior is basically unchanged and the engines are again the same. The styling seems to be going over well with most people, ignoring the usual Camry/Corolla knocks.

As a Lexus ENTHUSIAST, my expectations are not to be average, but to meet and beat the competition. In the past I had good arguments for that. Today I struggle. Obviously reliability is still a key selling point. I will try my best to see the good in the new IS and do my best to promote it. I am excited to see how well it drives. I am NOT excited it is down 50-90hp to the competition with worse MPG and arguably the worst interior in class.

And let us not forget the IS 250/300 F-Sport is dead. It is now only with the 350.

asoksevil

Fan
Reactions
assumption is that engines are effectively too dirty and volume too low for new European regulations.

When it comes to sales, Lexus is enjoying record sales worldwide and record sales in Europe, little of that is due to IS... it is based on UX, NX, RX sales.

There's the IS300h which they'll launch in other markets (that should help with emissions?)

And while Lexus does have a strong record sales across Europe in 2019, the IS Hybrid sold 3,475, ES hybrid 4,292 (roughly 3/4 of the ES) GS hybrid 35 and LS hybrid 200 so a total of 8,002 hybrid sedans which the IS is around 43% of those. That's a huge chunk of the sedans...

However, compared to SUV, sedans are really behind:

UX Hybrid 19,056

NX hybrid 17,391

RX Hybrid 6,948

Total of 43,395 hybrid SUVs.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
To be honest, maybe this IS is just a guinea pig (like others have said, a refreshed exterior and some changes in dimensions to keep cost to a minimum) and a showcase of what is to come. I still think torque vectoring (like in the RCF or GSF) is something many enthusiasts would want and Toyota is trailing Honda's SH-AWD, at least from the impression I gathered.

Can't wait for what's to come after this 3.3IS, it better not be a 3.4IS haha.

Sorry for the high school student-like highlights lol.

The Lexus Driving Signature Lives at Shimoyama

From day one, the IS has left a lasting impression in the luxury sports sedan segment, where dynamic capability and driving performance are mandatory attributes. The 2021 IS looks to further cement the bond between driver and vehicle by providing an enhanced linear driving characteristic that provides clear and direct feedback to the driver. In order to achieve this objective, Lexus engineers needed the proper tool with which to hone the vehicle’s skills.

Enter the Toyota Technical Centre Shimoyama. More than merely a new test facility, this asphalt track signals a change in Lexus’ product development course and speaks to the brand’s commitment to its human-centred nature.

Since Lexus launched, the tactile feel, behavior, and execution for each model has been driven by the vision and efforts of the Chief Engineer. Moving forward, the efforts of the CE will be focused on elevating the vehicles to a new standard of performance and handling as developed by Lexus International President Koji Sato and Chief Branding officer Akio Toyoda. The ultimate goal is to deliver a new generation of Lexus vehicles that is more balanced, refined in control, and confident than ever before. Linear steering, brake responses, and optimized handling with exceptional ride quality is the result of heightened focus on tuning of the chassis and its interactions with the control surfaces through diligent evaluation at a test facility unlike any other.

By establishing a uniform Lexus Driving Signature across the entire lineup, the hope is to continue propelling the brand’s evolution and reinforce its identity in the luxury space. This cultural shift within Lexus product development builds on the learnings and improvements seen on the F brand cars, and the latest models of the flagship vehicles (LC, LS, LX) that involve an “Always On” philosophy for continual, running enhancement. Over the past 30 years, Lexus has been defined by the detail-oriented and thoughtful nature of its products. The latest IS represents the first step down a path that has evolved into a uniquely Lexus tarmac testbed that will affect the trajectory of every Lexus product that comes next.

“What we had foremost in mind in developing the new IS was to make it a car that excelled in communicating with the driver regardless of the road conditions or driving situation,” said Chief Engineer Naoki Kobayashi of Lexus International. “We aimed to make the new IS a Lexus luxury sports sedan that provides high-quality riding comfort while offering a high level of vehicle control.”

Opened in 2019, the Toyota Technical Centre Shimoyama in Japan’s Aichi Prefecture is near Lexus’s global headquarters. Its country road test course is inspired by Lexus’s many years of experience driving on Germany’s Nürburgring Nordschleife, famous throughout the world for its grueling driving conditions. Much like the IS itself, Nürburgring is near and dear to Akio Toyoda’s heart since it played a key role in his quest to become a master driver. The approximate 5.3-kilometer test course at Shimoyama is designed to take advantage of the local topography, and it features a nearly 75-meter change in elevation, a wide range of curves and corners, and multiple types of road surfaces. Developing the new IS in such a severe driving environment made it possible to infuse an ever-higher dimension of vehicle performance.

Will1991

Reactions
The more I look at the interior... It's not really all that new...

2020 Lexus IS interior:
006.jpg

2021 Lexus IS interior:
005.jpg

It does seems very different, the infotainment trackpad, elbow couching, front air vents...

But then we can look at the 2020 RC:
09e73058ae028f4262808d575f1c7bed.jpeg

Looking at the 2020 RC and the 2021 IS I see a different airbag, a new screen and new side air vents.

I'm not saying this as a bad thing as I still love the RC and IS, but clearly this was made on a really tight budget.

The only thing I would complain is Europe not getting one of the best looking sedans ever!!

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
If I understand it right the only way to get an IS in F Sport trim is in the V6 now. To me that's a mistake because I think some people wanted the show more than the go even with it just being the 4 cylinder turbo. I've seen quite a few IS200t and IS300 turbos in F sport trim out on the road.

I thought V6 needs f sport, but f sport is available across models.

Reactions
Not a fan of the cruise control "stalk" that has been around forever on Lexus automobiles. shame they could not have relocated to the steering wheel.

Last edited: