bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
So this is what I'm thinking is going on:

The RC just got refreshed, instead of an all new IS, let's just refresh the IS again. That way we can re-design both IS and RC together and bring them both to the same platform and it will be a proper 2 and 4 door versions of each other. With that being said, I don't think the IS is going away soon.

Technically lexus have time to catch up with the competition I'm saying this because they already have the engines to compete for another 7years if they want. They are not just putting it in the cars that need it YET. Because old platform.

My view of the future

LS currently as the V6 that I feel will be discontinued for the LS and passed on to the IS/RC when they get redesigned.

The LS will go back to the V8 and the LC will remain V8. They will step up the hybrid in both while the RC/IS will use the current multistage.

The ES might get an awd version, but IMO the next IS redesign is the car that will fill the GS gap.

This IS and RC refresh is to better align all lexus cars to a closer redesign/major refresh year IMO.

Toyota is making bread for the company like crazy right now that I don't think lexus flopping is a big concern to them. So they are willing to go slow and steady. When toyota start getting a refresh Lexus will start dropping their new models.

Also we watch Akio Toyoda's break down of what's going on

I sound like a broken record with my hope in this freaking brand lol.

Last edited:

CT200h

Fan
Reactions
At least Lexus got the exterior design language right for the next gen LS, ES and IS.

The spindle grill is one of the best I've seen.

Toyota's get ACA (cornering assist) mild torque vectoring but a sports sedan gets a LSD at most.

The left and right hand aren't communicating.

Hopefully Lexus gets its BEVs right. If the next gen BEV IS looks anything like this, I will be almost sold.
Sorry to say but there is no EV coming from Lexus any time soon , years , years before North American market gets an EV Lexus , oh and no torque vectoring for you either ....

CT200h

Fan
Reactions
PHEV systems are going to be stronger propositions in winter countries. Same reason we get so many AWD models, even in places you might not need it really. It helps resale, and it's a nice to have "just in case".

I think the same feeling with apply to PHEVs vs pure BEVs. Nobody is going to risk getting stuck on the road in winter without the option of a gas engine to give you a range boost, or let you idle for heat/recharge.

It'll also be more attractive for people in rural areas who would appreciate the extended range without needing to haul nasty fuel. and better fuel mileage. Combine it with Toyota reliability and service and it's going to sell like crazy.

I really want to see how many Rav 4 Prime vehicles they could move with less bottlenecks.
They have little battery production capacity , therefore ther won’t be many Rav 4 primes built , simple as that .
No battery production capacity , no EVs and very few phevs

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Sorry to say but there is no EV coming from Lexus any time soon , years , years before North American market gets an EV Lexus , oh and no torque vectoring for you either ....
I am open to other brands, even German as long as they're BEVs. No costly engine repairs and likely fewer electric gremlins thanks to higher voltage systems. Also rooting for Honda too since it already has a good implementation of electric torque vectoring in its Sport Hybrid line up.

Toyota can bide its time.

I am not rushing until such time BEVs come with SSB (or competiting chemistry) and rear wheel electric torque vectoring.

Instant torque and fuel savings alone just don't cut it for me. Don't want clutch pack based TV as much as possible as it's another complex component that can go wrong.

I don't mind a used 5 to 7 y.o. Taycan 4S though even if both of my requirements aren't met as long as they're 50-60% off MSRP. I have already made a copy of the 2020 configurations available just in case.

I don't see myself getting a BEV until 2024 at the earliest.

Last edited:

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
They have little battery production capacity , therefore ther won’t be many Rav 4 primes built , simple as that .

How do you know this?

Is it by choice that they are delaying this? What's with the no rush, when Audi and VW promised 20 BEVs each by 2025?

mikeavelli

Reactions
I woke up this morning and between messages I'm getting and reading on social, it is a commentary bloodbath. And all I can say is "it looks great though". Forget the TLX, the current Infiniti Q50 offers a 400hp Red Sport. Kia/Hyundai offer much more power and performance. Caddy too.

Wow......

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

And you're a Toyota insider then?

There's nothing worse in the world that overconfident, uninformed people.

This thread has become a dumpster fire. There is plenty of good to be taken from this announcement, if all you want to do is lie, make baseless conjecture, and spout poorly thought out arguments the rest of the internet would love to have you.

Sorry, don't want to be harsh, but this is getting ridiculous. We dont even have hands on impressions and we are acting like comment sections on the internet arent people who never in a million years would want or be able to buy these cars, and just moaning and criticizing to feel important.

Reactions
The reveal seems to be about what I expected and admittedly I have not read the entire press release in full because honestly I don't really care to read what Lexus is trying to hype justifying boring cars in general. The lead designer for this 3.5 and 1/3 IS is clearly the same person who did the redesign for the RC refresh (Which I didn't like there, and still don't like on the IS) needs to be demoted. He disconnected the body line that goes into the rear light assembly and that was one of the design elements I loved the most on the 3IS. Though powerplants are being re-used, I'm not bothered by it, this IS just really shows Lexus is uncertain about whether to ditch the sedan segment or not. I am glad to see F Sport will mean more than cosmetics moving forward, something I have been asking for, for several years now, so I am glad. I am assuming the massive press release Lexus put out there is probably stating F Sports are now relatively performance oriented, glad to hear. Overall going to just be neutral and not go too negative and give it a 5/10. I'll read it and maybe change my mind.

More importantly, I hope every member of my Lexus Enthusiast family is doing well in these times. Cheers!

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Take the time to read about the specifics. I really think we're doing ourselves a disservice not considering the sound system improvements, potential material improvements, safety systems, infotainment, driving dynamics, engine tuning, etc.

Let's give it more than 24 hours before declaring it DOA.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Take the time to read about the specifics. I really think we're doing ourselves a disservice not considering the sound system improvements, potential material improvements, safety systems, infotainment, driving dynamics, engine tuning, etc.

I do appreciate and admire the optimism, but in a week, you've gone from, "It's definitely going to be all-new and come with a '500' engine option!!" to "At least the sound system was upgraded."

200.gif

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Looking across social media, review sites and videos, I think this reveal can best be summed up as:

"The exterior redesign is so good looking that people are bittersweet and deeply upset about (1) the lack of engine updates and (2) the 90% carryover interior."

I know there's always a cost-profit analysis for these things, but an extra lb of boost for the 2.0T (275hp?) and a slightly highter redline on the V6 (350hp?) + a restyled dash would have made a lot of people very happy, and extended the life of this car in a meaningful way.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I do appreciate and admire the optimism, but in a week, you've gone from, "It's definitely going to be all-new and come with a '500' engine option!!" to "At least the sound system was upgraded."

200.gif

Not sure where I said itll come with a 500 model, aside from saying i would like that.

I also took time to listen to what the company had to say, and I considered what most people I know shopping for something like this might care about, and I realized that itll do fine for most. It's obvious Lexus has different plans longer term, nothing to be done about that, but at least I can see that the messaging and product is more in the direction I'd prefer than it was before. That to me is progress.

I personally will be reaching out to express interest in a higher powered model. If nothing comes of it there are other options.

asoksevil

Fan
Reactions
What was the reason they decided not to sell it in Europe? Without the IS the sedan line up for Lexus is pretty lame for a luxury brand, ES and LS (not counting the RC) so unless the SUV can make up for that gap the IS left (which I am not sure as I don’t think the IS is a cross shopping exercise for SUV)

super51fan

Follower
Reactions

24 hours? I have had 7 years to think these things over. I didn’t want a N/a V6 then and I don’t want one now.