Reactions
Sounds like from the press, Mark Levinson is NOT standard as previously reported. Another option that will be nearly non-existent on dealer lots here in SoCal. Great progress.

I've said this 1000x times now, but the exterior is great. The interior....such such a let-down.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Was the IS 300h announced for any markets today...?
Yes. Even though the Lexus Global Newsroom release doesn't delve into powertrain details the way the USA one does, it does include this passage:

In the hybrid version, control of the generation of driving force in relation to accelerator input has been updated in pursuit of even-sportier driving.

The Lexus Australia Pressroom release is even clearer:

A focus on imaginative technology continues in the hybrid IS 300h with improved throttle response delivering more immediate acceleration from the 2.5-litre normally aspirated four-cylinder engine and electric motor pairing.

This advanced powertrain now combines greater driver engagement with incredibly low fuel consumption and emissions.

And here's another picture of the 2021 Lexus IS 300h engine via NetCarShow.com:

Speaking of markets, while the Lexus USA Newsroom only speaks vaguely of the newish IS being sold in "approximately 40 countries around the world, including the US, Japan, and other countries in Asia", the Global Newsroom release is far more specific:

The new IS will be available for sale in global markets including North America, Japan, the Middle East, and specific countries in South America, Oceania, and Asia.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
The exterior is so good looking that it makes the interior and lack of engines even harder to swallow. Kinda bittersweet really.

This thing is going to look so menacing once people get their hands on it, it's almost a shame that Lexus doesnt lean in with some real mean splitters and diffusers and side skirts with the TTV6 from the LS with an aggressive tune.

It would be so so compelling. Or even just a 500 model. The design deserves it.

joepac

Fan
Reactions
This is the SINGLE MOST EMBARRASSING thing Lexus has ever done.
Very Poor form.
This will signal the demise of the IS LINE. Sad.
Especially days/weeks after the great reception the Acura TLX got! Lexus is waaaay behind the curve and needed a hit. Seems like Toyota is getting all the good stuff lately.

Judging by the comments on Lexus' YouTube channel, IG and FB the overall majority of comments are negative and the most read comment is the powertrain for the top line and the interior.

Their response to this will, to me anyway, show their genuineness about appreciating their customers.

I'm sure this refresh will sell a few units (more than the last year's model? Who knows) since they will likely incentivize it with lease deals and rebates etc. But they will lose the enthusiast buyer especially since their lead up to the reveal stated this would be the most "thrilling" IS ever...

Lexucator

Fan
Reactions
Beautiful automobile. I love how the designers married the new Lexus design language with some existing IS styling cues.

I would love for Lexus to update the powertrain options for the new IS and even would like to see the IS progress to a new platform, but it appears that there are enough changes to lure many existing IS buyers and possibly convert a few consumers of German makes.

I feel there are enough updates to the tech to keep the IS current. I look forward to learning more about Lexus Safety Sense 2.5.

Overall, nice job, Lexus.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
At least Lexus got the exterior design language right for the next gen LS, ES and IS.

The spindle grill is one of the best I've seen.

Toyota's get ACA (cornering assist) mild torque vectoring but a sports sedan gets a LSD at most.

The left and right hand aren't communicating.

Hopefully Lexus gets its BEVs right. If the next gen BEV IS looks anything like this, I will be almost sold.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
This is more of a launch of their test track than a new car because there is no new car 🤣

The real news here is that Toyota development programs will be increasingly secretive now that everything is tested at the new facility. Expect much fewer spy shots and reliable leaks.

This is the SINGLE MOST EMBARRASSING thing Lexus has ever done.
Very Poor form.
This will signal the demise of the IS LINE. Sad.
Indeed, this is the lowest day of Lexus since the sticky throttle days.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
More than anything I desperately want to see what the NX, RX, LS, etc with this design language looks like. I think that's part of why i'm not so down on this. I see things in the promotional video that shows they're at least giving lip service in the right direction. If this was a half-baked product to hold things over until we get something real, i'm still going to keep an eye on Lexus.

This is more of a launch of their test track than a new car because there is no new car 🤣

The real news here is that Toyota development programs will be increasingly secretive now that everything is tested at the new facility. Expect much fewer spy shots and reliable leaks.

This is where any other F cars will probably be tested/fine tuned too, right?

EDIT:

High resolution photos.

View attachment 4106

Get the full sized ones, zoom in, check the details. This bodes well for their design language. I've getting very porsche-y vibes from the fine detail work, but it's a more emotional design to me than the hard edged Audi futurism.

As much as I love the current LC, i really want to see a refresh like this for it.

Does anyone else get 4-door Supra vibes from certain angles? I think it's the "shoulders" of the car. Big rear haunches.

Now just super power it to fit the looks.

EDIT: Good lord, i assumed some compression on that image. Let me delete.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
To be fair, it's not wrong to admit defeat and give up an effort that leads to a dead end. Trying to compete with BBA will no longer work out when TM3 is ruining everybody's day.

The problem is, their competitors are moving quicker in addressing the TM3 problem too. At this rate TM3 would have crossed 1 million cumulative sales when some distant IS BEV lands.

They wouldn't be the laughing stock of the entire industry if they do this cosmetic upgrade and follow up with a BEV in 2021. But that's not the case.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
PHEV systems are going to be stronger propositions in winter countries. Same reason we get so many AWD models, even in places you might not need it really. It helps resale, and it's a nice to have "just in case".

I think the same feeling with apply to PHEVs vs pure BEVs. Nobody is going to risk getting stuck on the road in winter without the option of a gas engine to give you a range boost, or let you idle for heat/recharge.

It'll also be more attractive for people in rural areas who would appreciate the extended range without needing to haul nasty fuel. and better fuel mileage. Combine it with Toyota reliability and service and it's going to sell like crazy.

I really want to see how many Rav 4 Prime vehicles they could move with less bottlenecks.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
After reading over the Lexus USA, Global, Canada and Australia news releases for the 2021 IS, here are some totally random detail thoughts and comments:

- When I read the USA Newsroom passage that "there are five new exterior colors available on the 2021 IS, including Iridium, Cloudburst Gray, Matador Red Mica, Infrared, and Grecian Water", my reaction was, "What's up with that? Matador Red has been around since the 2IS launch for 2006." What slipped under my radar is that Matador Red was discontinued as an IS option after the 2015 model year, went on a 5-year hiatus and now returns for 2021. Infrared makes its way from the RC and LC color palette to its first 4-door application, albeit only for IS 350 F Sport in the U.S. That leaves 3 actual new hues for 2021 in the U.S.: Iridium, Cloudburst Gray and Grecian Water.

- Yet, the Global Newsroom only mentions 2 new exterior colors: Sonic Iridium and Sonic Chrome. Those would be Iridium (duh) and, probably, Cloudburst Gray.

- It's nice that Apple CarPlay and Android Auto finally made their way to the IS, but couldn't they have made it wireless like in the lowly 2021 Hyundai Elantra? And couldn't they have squeezed in a Qi wireless charging pad in that area in the console between the seat heater and cooling fan controls?

- It's good that they're talking about how much lighter the suspension and the BBS wheels in the Dynamic Handling Package are, but no mention of an overall curb weight savings. Could the 2021 IS have gotten heavier overall?

- Only the Australian newsroom states that "with available 18-inch wheels (comparable to the previous IS F Sport) the latest Lexus sports sedan rides on a 45mm (1.77") wider front track and 50mm (2"") wider rear track". But 18" wheels are standard in North America. Does that mean that 17" wheels remain standard in some markets?

- In spite of the above, I see no evidence that they grafted on the wider GS/RC front sub-frame to allow for the 2UR V8 to fit.

- The Lexus Safety System+ in its Japanese iteration includes a couple of additional exclusive features: Low Speed Acceleration Control (which supports the prevention of collisions caused by pedal misapplication at times of reduced speed) and Driver Emergency Stop Assist. The latter coordinates with Lane Tracing Assist to support the driver through audio and visual alerts and gentle deceleration. It then activates the vehicle's hazard lamps and horn to alert those outside the vehicle to help prevent or reduce damage to the vehicle or to others, while slowing and eventually stopping the vehicle within its lane. After stopping the vehicle, it unlocks the doors and activates an automatic HELPNET connection for a rescue request, contributing to early driver rescue.

- According to the Global and Australian news releases, approximately 1.09 million Lexus ISs have been sold worldwide from its launch over 20 years ago until 30 April 2020.

- Still no word of an IS 500 trademark registered in the U.S.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
Does it bother anyone else with mild OCD that the touch screen does not center with the clock and AC vents below, and the clock and AC vents don't center with the temperature sliders/NuLuxe trim under?

It’s always been like that and yes it’s a bit odd... RC is the same...

Levi

Expert
Reactions
in the long interview that is on Lexus global, they did hint about possibility of more high powered engine. It might be coming in winter as supposed to be announced now (and on sale in fall).

However, unless there is some crazy good price on it, It feels to me that I have to repeat this often - it is base engines that sell in this market
Everyone talks about M340i and similar, but people dont buy these. Here is current stock of new 3 series in USA:
View attachment 4097

You are not wrong about sales, the same goes for 5 Series and 8 Series vs X6.

But do not forget, the 4 cyl. 3 Series would not sellif there was no 6 cyl. version (now M340i and M3).