internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I think I shared that chart first here (or maybe not lol) but always a good discussion for Lexus' BEV strategy (or lack thereof) Will1991 did post it a little more recently.

2020 is the UX.

2022 likely the NX BEV and the 2024 the ES BEV? haha. If that 2024 is the 4IS BEV (or whatever BEV that is), timing would be great to coincide with better battery chemistry/technology. That might be the last car I will have to purchase before I see my Maker (not Carmaker).

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I just wish they thought to add more power to this IS and maybe they will (doubtful). I always thought the IS looked so sporty but in the engine department lacked that extra HP. I'm sure this "New" IS will look the part but will it be the part? We'll see soon I guess. Hey at least we are getting some news from Lexus!
The most power update you can expect is from 311hp to 318hp. The ChDM LS350 uses the 8GR-FKS with a slightly higher tune (for 2018 and 2019 models). It makes 7hp more than the USDM 2GR-FKS but at a higher 6800rpm with a 7000rpm redline (for 2020 is detuned for emissions). 7 more hp doesn't really make a difference though...

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
@internalaudit , honestly bro all what I saw is just the current back with a whole strip in-between, in same manner as the current Avalon, it just reflect light but actually not even led strip

Sorry, look at the images again and the positioning if the taillights relative to the sides of the car.

It's not even close. The old IS (which I had one of), has taillights that sit on the corners and wrap around. This doesnt look that way.

Look at how high up the haunches/rear fender flares are compared to the current one.

This thing looks like a four door coupe. I am getting flashbacks to the LFX and LFS concepts.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
This will definitely sell if they can lower the pricing on the base hybrid ( like they did on the NX300h here in Canada by removing some of the standard features from the 2019 MY and beyond and offered them in the packaged upgrades). Good thing there is no Toyota equivalent for the IS so it's not like frugal buyers can cross-shop like some do between the 5RAV (TNGA) and the NX300 (older platform).

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
This will definitely sell if they can lower the pricing on the base hybrid ( like they did on the NX300h here in Canada by removing some of the standard features). Good thing there is no Toyota equivalent for the IS so it's not like frugal buyers can cross-shop like some do between the 5RAV (TNGA) and the NX300 (older platform).

I am getting the feeling that Lexus is going the "luxury sedans are not entry level vehicles" route.

The 3 series went upmarket a little bit, I wouldnt be surprised if the IS goes further upmarket, even if only for where pricing ends.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I am getting the feeling that Lexus is going the "luxury sedans are not entry level vehicles" route.

The 3 series went upmarket a little bit, I wouldnt be surprised if the IS goes further upmarket, even if only for where pricing ends.

The 3 Series went upmark by removing the 320i/xi here in Canada. So now the entry point is $49k but there's the 330e for $45k with a $2,500 Federal government rebate haha.

With the recently announced Acura TLX that will start in the low $40's here in Canada (with SH-AWD standard), they will have to price this 3.3IS right. I know Lexus usually commands a premium, like the Germans, over Acura, but in the 90's, I recall the Lexus products were priced much lower. The 2020 base IS here starts at $42k so very close to where the base 2021 SH-AWD TLX will start.

If you are right with Lexus going upmarket, they should just provide better lease and finance rates. Most buyers care more about the monthly payments and interest cost over the life of the loan anyway. Just look at Apple and Samsung selling $1,500-3,000 phones at no interest over 24 months.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
The 3 Series went upmark by removing the 320i/xi here in Canada. So now the entry point is $49k but there's the 330e for $45k with a $2,500 Federal government rebate haha.

With the recently announced Acura TLX that will start in the low $40's here in Canada (with SH-AWD standard), they will have to price this 3.3IS right. I know Lexus usually commands a premium, like the Germans, over Acura, but in the 90's, I recall the Lexus products were priced much lower. The 2020 base IS here starts at $42k so very close to where the base 2021 SH-AWD TLX will start.

If you are right with Lexus going upmarket, they should just provide better lease and finance rates. Most buyers care more about the monthly payments and interest cost over the life of the loan anyway. Just look at Apple and Samsung selling $1,500-3,000 phones at no interest over 24 months.

Focusing on that is a mixed bag. Especially in current market conditions, driving growth entirely through that sort of thing might not serve them well in the longer run.

Regarding the 3 series, I meant more quality and finishings than just the pricing. It was apparent to me that the new 3 is meant to be a slightly higher class of vehicle than the old one.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Focusing on that is a mixed bag. Especially in current market conditions, driving growth entirely through that sort of thing might not serve them well in the longer run.

Regarding the 3 series, I meant more quality and finishings than just the pricing. It was apparent to me that the new 3 is meant to be a slightly higher class of vehicle than the old one.

Coming up with a better 3 Series was a very low bar to set. The last one was the worse in handling/dynamics, or so I read. The new instrument cluster looks cool but I would take the older one (still available in the 3 Series) any day if it provided the same types of information the new one does. RPM going counterclockwise is weird.

I was reading on the taycanforums last night, and you wouldn't believe someone asking about interest rates on an 84-month loan. Others did suggest that 12-60 months interest rates were very favorable, like 1.95% and slightly the longer the term it gets. This rate is for the US market and it's easy for them to get loans from credit unions too. In Canada, car loan rates from banks or CU's will be at least 5%/year, which doesn't make sense during this decade long low interest-rate regime.

Not everyone who wants a nice car will want to pay for everything upfront because there are other financial commitments. But subsidize new buyers to the brand and it can make wonders when they want move up to a more expensive model. It's better than deep discounting like Korean makers, which is not as transparent.

Once one commits to a car purchase, if need be (heaven-forbid), one's household will have to curtail spending in other non-essentials like travel and eating out. Unless, of course, one is the type who trades underwater vehicles for the latest and greatest three to five years later, which is a really not a good financial move anyway.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
This is exactly my thought as well. I think GA-N and GA-L were created at and for a different time, and are probably not very relevant for Toyota going forward with market shifts and economic pressures. It's either that or there will be new products on those platforms that we don't know about yet. Longer term, I'd love to see RX, ES and RC on either of the RWD platforms, but not sure that's realistic.

GA-N for Crown and Mirai, and GA-L for LC, LS and LF-1 just doesn't seem feasible as a long term investment, IMO. Especially in the era where AWD and batteries become the great equalizers.

Maybe, just Maybe with my usual crazy hopes

The next RX & NX will turn to GA-N instead of GA-K, let's face it the NX current or the new if it will be GA-K, can't hold a candle in comparison to the RAV4 prime, even if it come with the same exact engine, due to the amazing low pricing, unless the NX will be totally different than the RAV4, that's the only logic to make the RAV4 and Venza so good

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Maybe, just Maybe with my usual crazy hopes

The next RX & NX will turn to GA-N instead of GA-K, let's face it the NX current or the new if it will be GA-K, can't hold a candle in comparison to the RAV4 prime, even if it come with the same exact engine, due to the amazing low pricing, unless the NX will be totally different than the RAV4, that's the only logic to make the RAV4 and Venza so good

When we were shopping back in 2016, I priced (without discounts) top of the line RAV4H and NX300h here in Canada and with extended warranty, it was a whopping $20,000 difference. Even then, the cargo volume for RAV4H was slightly better and I don't the NX300h even had high speed ACC in 2016.

And like you said, the new RAV4 and Venza are probably superior in many ways by now.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
He said, with literally nothing concrete to go on.

TMCs entire Lexus business development team is crushed to learn this.
Just about every contribution to this discussion thread is a comment based on unsubstantiated rumours.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
84mo financing on a car, good lord.

If you get the best price negotiating and 1.99% or below and you can truly afford the vehicle based on household income, I don't think it's that bad as long as all your requirements for the next seven years are met by the vehicle so you don't have to change cars midpoint.

I don't mind moving up to a smaller LS if a Lexus BEV offered electric torque vectoring and state of the art batteries say by 2024. I know it will last two decades, at least. :)

joepac

Fan
Reactions
When we were shopping back in 2016, I priced (without discounts) top of the line RAV4H and NX300h here in Canada and with extended warranty, it was a whopping $20,000 difference. Even then, the cargo volume for RAV4H was slightly better and I don't the NX300h even had high speed ACC in 2016.

And like you said, the new RAV4 and Venza are probably superior in many ways by now.
A little off topic but the current rav4 hybrid is superior to the nx300h (we just bought a 2020 RAV4 hybrid, we initially wanted the nx300h but rav4 was much better even before taking price into account) and the RAV4 prime being vastly superior to the NX. I think lexus will eventually get the RAV4 Hybrid powertrain but at a premium of 5-8k US it might not be worth it.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
Nice light strip design. Look forward to it. Who knows maybe this "not a redesign but heavy refresh" is just what the doctor ordered

EDIT: with those vortex generators or whatever those triangle pieces are the lower end of the bumper...maybe its the so called IS-F (dreaming of course)

Will1991

Reactions
I’m just curious to see if it will have the new rumored Lexus infotainment with 14” touch screen...

Other than that, unless it’s coming with a plug, RAV4 Prime pricing will dominate the media. At least should be a clear indication of where the market is going.