mikeavelli

Reactions
I think Lexus is playing the pricing right... by condensing the lineup and options, they've also been able to lower the price on the most desirable model... which is still going to be a bit cheaper than something like a 330i. Even as old as it is, IS 350 F Sport is an attractive car for $45k.

Indeed. I was shocked at pricing and how good it was. I also now don't mind the 350 F-Sport only strategy. It makes better sense now.

Reactions

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
20-09-30-lexus-is-2021-hero.jpg

The updated 2021 Lexus IS will start at $39,000 USD when it reaches dealerships in October, as a new press release details all the changes to the sports sedan.
The third IS refresh features a “driving signature” developed at the new Toyota test track in Japan, with a extensive exterior redesign and an updated multimedia system featuring Apple Carplay & Android Auto.

20-09-30-lexus-is-side-blue.jpg

2021 IS developed using the new Lexus Driving Signature
Tested and developed at new technical center in Shimoyama, Japan
Driving performance enhanced through rigidity, chassis and suspension enhancements
New Lexus Safety System+ 2.5 offers enhanced standard safety features
New multimedia system with available 10.3-inch touchscreen
Starting MSRP of $39,000

PLANO, Texas (September 30, 2020) – Finding the perfect balance of sportiness and sophistication...

Continue reading...

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I am liking this latest Lexus design language. Not so much the rear but it's still okay.

I wonder what hybrid variants are going to be offered in North America.

Reactions
Were Power folding mirrors and a power tilt telescoping steering wheel too hard for Lexus to do? The GS is dead. Stop skimping on features

100% agreed on the power-folding mirrors. It's a small feature, but it peeves me so much cuz I've always wanted it on a car. Every current Lexus model has it as part of a package, yet the IS is the only model without it. The current Lexus design language has side mirrors that are more angular and stick out much more than the previous design. I have a tight-ass garage and would probably struggle to park this thing in (my 328i barely fits in; I do not have the Premium Package, and my side mirrors are always like 3mm from hitting the sides of the garage door). Woulda been nice. Don't know how and why Lexus skimped over that.

The steering wheel tilt thing I guess is fine since it's just something you do behind the wheel and won't need to do often if you're the only driver of the car. The mirrors though, you'll have to go out and physically push them in depending and where you park.

Kennyth

Fan
Reactions
100% agreed on the power-folding mirrors. It's a small feature, but it peeves me so much cuz I've always wanted it on a car. Every current Lexus model has it as part of a package, yet the IS is the only model without it. The current Lexus design language has side mirrors that are more angular and stick out much more than the previous design. I have a tight-ass garage and would probably struggle to park this thing in (my 328i barely fits in; I do not have the Premium Package, and my side mirrors are always like 3mm from hitting the sides of the garage door). Woulda been nice. Don't know how and why Lexus skimped over that.

The steering wheel tilt thing I guess is fine since it's just something you do behind the wheel and won't need to do often if you're the only driver of the car. The mirrors though, you'll have to go out and physically push them in depending and where you park.
Also looks like LED signal isnt standard or available. The front LED signal is equipped if you get the triple beam, and the rear signal likes looks like the ones on the RC which isnt LED signal.

Reactions
Also looks like LED signal isnt standard or available. The front LED signal is equipped if you get the triple beam, and the rear signal likes looks like the ones on the RC which isnt LED signal.

Didn't notice this stuff (I personally don't care too much for these and find it minor, but I know some people will care a lot), but this just further goes to show that full thought wasn't given to this car. They did a great job on the exterior overall in terms of changes, but given what we know about how little the interior has changed, coupled onto the fact that the 2021 models are notably cheaper than the outgoing 2020 model (despite having a refresh) -- Lexus didn't give the 2021 IS their all, and probably for a reason (price) and the fact that this model has not been a top performer for them. The compact sedan market has also been dying. I feel a designer or engineer stood with a checklist of features and compared against the ES and RC and executives made a decision to not include these things we are griping about for a reason: the 2021 is just a heavier refresh, and not an entire redesign. They probably gave in to the most pressing complaint of Apple/Android CarPlay not being available and the screen being kind of far for the driver and focused on that, then cared less about everything else.

Guess I'm gonna have to consider going German again (probably Audi since I want all my side mirrors to auto-dim). Yes, miss me with the power-folding and I'm done. Zero excuses when every effin' model in the car make has it as an option.

I can't tell from the Japanese track test-run vids, but I wonder if the Japan build of the 2021 has power-folding side mirrors because I know in Asia, the previous XE20 generation had it (at least in Taiwan, where I have seen it).

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions

Actually for myself, the power tilt steering with memory is crucial to me because the Lexus version is auto retracting when you turn off the engine. Reason is for a tighter parking spot where there is a wall on the driver side, some extra room will be created when the steering wheel retracts.

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
Indeed. I was shocked at pricing and how good it was. I also now don't mind the 350 F-Sport only strategy. It makes better sense now.
This is valid for US market. For Canadian market, Lexus Canada has a different approach. F-Sport is available for IS300 AWD & RWD. But you can't get DHP that includes AVS on IS300 as they package it in F-Sport 3 pkg. F-Sport 3 is only available for IS350 AWD.

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
Looking at Lexus Canada web site, I think Lexus Canada once again looks at the market differently from some potential buyers and existing IS owners.

For the fully-loaded model which is IS350 AWD with F-Sport 3 pkg, Mark Levinson is absent. They put it in Ultra Luxury package for IS300 AWD non-sport version. Just have no idea why any existing IS350 owner would get the new one. Lack of powertrain and falling behind its direct competitors are already a disadvantage. At least Lexus Canada could have made a better effort in packaging this already niche product.

The only surprises when looking at Lexus Canada offering are panoramic view monitor (360" camera) and heated gear shifter which were not mentioned in the press. Again, they put the panoramic view monitor in ultra luxury package for IS300 AWD non-sport version only.

Reactions
Looking at Lexus Canada web site, I think Lexus Canada once again looks at the market differently from some potential buyers and existing IS owners.

For the fully-loaded model which is IS350 AWD with F-Sport 3 pkg, Mark Levinson is absent. They put it in Ultra Luxury package for IS300 AWD non-sport version. Just have no idea why any existing IS350 owner would get the new one. Lack of powertrain and falling behind its direct competitors are already a disadvantage. At least Lexus Canada could have made a better effort in packaging this already niche product.

The only surprises when looking at Lexus Canada offering are panoramic view monitor (360" camera) and heated gear shifter which were not mentioned in the press. Again, they put the panoramic view monitor in ultra luxury package for IS300 AWD non-sport version only.

Oh man, 360 panoramic reminds me of when I was looking at NXs here in Los Angeles, and like with Mark Levinson, could not find a single model with this option built in. Dealers told me it was a "special order" option. Also in Canada, NXs have an optional heads-up display for the windshield, which is phenomenal, yet we don't get that in the US.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Bad trim options have always been a big problem for Lexus. It's something you have to live with as a Lexus buyer. Their trim options are always intentionally annoying to force you to pay more. I don't know about other brands.

Reactions
Im entertaining the idea of getting this then having it supercharged. To echo some of the pervious posts the lack of power folding mirrors is annoying, don't get me started on the lack of led turn signals! It seems like the rumor mill is eluding to a higher performance model coming out but I feel like its unlikely potentially getting the new turbo 4 but only after it debuts in the new NX. Its such a shame that such a beautiful car doesn't have the power to back up the looks.