2021 Acura TLX Type S

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Acura's basically trying to do what GM is doing with the CT5. Size of a vehicle one segment higher and price of a segment lower. Except they've produced a car more compromised than the CT5 would ever be.

However, their update for the ILX had proven to be a massive hit.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
https://acuranews.com/en-US/release...21-tlx-type-s-kicks-off-acuras-year-of-type-s

2021 TLX Type S Kicks off Acura’s Year of Type S

March 17, 2021 — TORRANCE, CALIF.

• After a 13-year hiatus, 2021 marks the return of Acura’s storied performance nameplate
  • TLX Type S to arrive at dealers late May; prices starting in the low $50,000s

Acura today announced the on-sale timing for the highly anticipated 2021 TLX Type S, which returns the Type S performance brand to Acura showrooms for the first time in more than a decade. Building on the award-winning second-generation Acura TLX, which went on sale in September, the TLX Type S debuts a brand-exclusive turbocharged V6 engine, sport-tuned chassis with double wishbone front suspension and powerful Brembo® brakes to become the quickest and best-handling Type S in Acura history.

When it arrives at showrooms in late May, the well-equipped 2021 Acura TLX Type S will carry a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) starting in the low $50,000s1.

Powering the 2021 TLX Type S is an all-new 3.0-liter Type S Turbo V6 that builds upon decades of performance engine development experience and motorsports prowess to produce 355 horsepower and 354 lb.-ft. of torque – making it the most powerful Type S yet. A double-wishbone front suspension and Type S-exclusive Sport+ driving mode also have been specially engineered to provide additional performance and driver enjoyment and, for the first time in a Type S model, power is distributed through Acura’s Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®) system with true torque vectoring.

The 2021 TLX Type S is available in one of six exterior colors paired with three interior options, including an all-new Tiger Eye Pearl paint and Orchid leather interior – both exclusive to Type S. Numerous exterior signatures distinguish the TLX performance variant, including an open-surface diamond pentagon grille for increased airflow, large-quad exhaust outlets and two-wheel options including an NSX-inspired lightweight wheel wrapped in a 255-series Pirelli P-Zero summer tire.

Inside, Type S drivers are treated to Ultrasuede® trimmed 16-way power seats with adjustable side bolstering and Type S embossing on the headrests. Type S comes exceptionally well-equipped with several premium and sophisticated features from the TLX Advance Package, including the critically acclaimed and award-winning ELS STUDIO 3D® 17-speaker premium audio system. Detailed information about the 2021 TLX Type S will be available closer to its on-sale date this May.

Since its introduction, the second-generation Acura TLX has garnered numerous accolades for its style, driver-focused performance and technology. Following its launch last fall, TLX has been named a MotorWeek “Driver’s Choice”, is one of AutoTrader’s “Best New Cars for 2021”, and the ELS STUDIO 3D® premium audio system earned “Best Sound System” in the 2021 Esquire Car Awards. Additionally, the next-generation passenger-front airbag earned a Popular Science “Best of What’s New” award, and TLX has also received a TOP SAFETY PICK+ (TSP+) rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), the highest possible safety rating from the Institute.

About Acura
Acura is a leading automotive nameplate that delivers Precision Crafted Performance – a commitment to expressive styling, high performance and innovative engineering, all built on a foundation of quality and reliability. The Acura lineup features five distinctive models – the ILX and TLX sport sedans, the RDX and MDX sport-utility vehicles and the next-generation, electrified NSX supercar. All Acura models sold in North America for the 2021 model year are made in the U.S., using domestic and globally sourced parts.

Additional media information including pricing, features & specifications and high-resolution photography is available at AcuraNews.com. Consumer information is available at Acura.com.

tlx-type-s-front-34-1616012239.jpg

tlx-type-s-rear-34-1616010653.jpg

mikeavelli

Reactions
It’s literally the most overhyped thing that’s gonna fall flat on its face like the base tlx. The old RLX hybrid made more power. Everyone makes more power.
Imagine being excited for 355hp. That’s how far behind they are. Infiniti is laughing somewhere with their 400hp red sport.

But I will say it’s good they are at least trying something.

Reactions
It’s literally the most overhyped thing that’s gonna fall flat on its face like the rest of the lineup. Their old RLX hybrid made more power. Everyone makes more power.
Imagine being excited for 355hp. That’s how far behind they are. Infiniti is laughing somewhere with their 400hp rwd sport.

As much as it breaks my heart to say this, I'd pick this over the Infiniti though.

Reactions
Just in time!

Acura Offering Enhanced 0% APR Deal​

Acura has enhanced this month’s 0% APR deal on the 2021 ILX and TLX. Although it was previously only available to current Acura customers, a recent change means any well-qualified buyer is eligible for interest-free financing on the two sedans. Given that the best rate available to most shoppers was formerly 1.9% for 60 months, the lower rate can lead to some significant savings.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
It’s literally the most overhyped thing that’s gonna fall flat on its face like the base tlx. The old RLX hybrid made more power. Everyone makes more power.
Imagine being excited for 355hp. That’s how far behind they are. Infiniti is laughing somewhere with their 400hp red sport.

But I will say it’s good they are at least trying something.
I am not sure Infiniti is laughing. The Q50 ER has more power, but it is old and no one cares about it anymore. And in a world of CUVs, Infiniti killed the original one, the FX/QX70, even Genesis made two now, and Infiniti hopes to get something with the already old FWD QX55?

Reactions
So this will probably be ~$55k with destination?

What if the IS 500 comes in under $60k?

Yikes for Acura.
Perhaps Acura is underrating its output...of course with any Honda, you can void your warranty with a KTuner/Hondata tune lol.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Those quad exhaust pipes on the Type S are ridiculously large. I'm not sure Acura made them big enough.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Great video that shows disconnect between Honda Japan and Honda USA engineers. I applaud for autonomy of the brand management and all that but there has to be some backbone between Japan HQ and US HQ so Acura could strive and be competitive. This new 3.0 Turbo feel like a victory as it's the first exclusive motor for Acura if I'm not mistaken.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Great video that shows disconnect between Honda Japan and Honda USA engineers. I applaud for autonomy of the brand management and all that but there has to be some backbone between Japan HQ and US HQ so Acura could strive and be competitive. This new 3.0 Turbo feel like a victory as it's the first exclusive motor for Acura if I'm not mistaken.
The funny thing is Acura fans were in disbelief when it was initially advertised as the most powerful acura sedan. They forgot their own RLX. The irony. Note the new marketing has most powerful TLX now.

It’s been nearly a year since it’s been announced let’s see if it lives up to fanboy hype.

Reactions: CIF

supra93

Expert
Reactions

May 20, 2021 — TORRANCE, Calif.
  • Acura’s best-performing sedan yet goes on sale June 23 with a starting price of $52,3001
  • Pre-sale activities begin today with Type S microsite launch, Build & Price and dealer reservation process for prospective customers
  • Available in limited quantities, fewer than 2,000 model year 2021 TLX Type S to be built
  • Performance standard, Type S features a 355-horsepower Turbo V6, sport-tuned double wishbone front suspension, Brembo® brakes and Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
The all-new 2021 Acura TLX Type S, the first in a new generation of Type S performance variants, will begin arriving at Acura dealers nationwide next month with a manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) of $52,3001. Beginning today, prospective Type S buyers can learn more about the 2021 TLX Type S by visiting Acura.com/Type-S, build and price their desired configuration, and contact a local dealer to reserve their spot in line.

The 2021 TLX Type S is available in two well equipped variations. Starting at $52,300, the TLX Type S features 20-inch multi-spoke wheels with Pirelli Cinturato P7 all-Season tires. Buyers seeking even more performance can opt for the TLX Type S with High Performance Wheel and Tire Package for $53,100, which brings NSX-inspired split 5-spoke wheels, reducing unsprung mass by more than 21 lbs., and 255-series Pirelli P-Zero summer tires.

TLX Type S strengthens the fundamentals of Precision Crafted Performance with significant enhancements to all elements of the driving experience and a distinctive visual character inside and out. With performance validated on track, Type S models cater to spirited driving enthusiasts and the well-equipped TLX Type S features an impressive list of standard high-performance hardware.

The all-new 355-horsespower1, 3.0-liter Type S Turbo V6 engine was developed by some of the company’s most experienced powertrain engineers, including team members who developed the bespoke twin-turbocharged V6 hybrid power unit that powers NSX. A specially-tuned 10-speed automatic transmission also is standard, along with Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®) with true torque vectoring. The TLX Type S sport-tuned chassis features a double-wishbone front suspension, Adaptive Dampers, NSX-derived electro-servo braking system and Brembo™ 4-piston front calipers with larger front rotors and matching red calipers at the rear.

Acura engineers created the TLX Type S as an emotional and exciting premium performance sedan without sacrificing the everyday usability and comfort of the critically acclaimed second-generation TLX. The 2021 TLX Type S also comes with 16-way driver and front passenger sport seats with power adjustable bolsters, supple Milano leather with Ultrasuede® inserts, Type S embossing on the headrests, an ELS STUDIO 3D® 17-speaker premium audio system and a 10.2-inch audio and information display operated with Acura’s award-winning True Touch Interface™.

Standard safety and driver assistive equipment includes the AcuraWatch™ suite of safety and driver assistive technologies, and the world’s first front passenger airbag designed to reduce head rotation in a collision.

Model / Trim​
MSRP2​
MSRP
with Destination3​
EPA Mileage Rating4
City/Hwy/Combined​
2021 TLX Type S
$52,300​
$53,325​
19 / 25 / 21​
2021 TLX Type S
with High Performance Wheel & Tire Package
$53,100​
$54,125​
19 / 24 / 21​

1. SAE Net. Peak power arrives at 5,500 rpm
2. Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) excluding tax, license, registration, destination charge and options. Dealer prices may vary.
3. MSRP including $1,025 destination charge.
4. Based on 2021 EPA mileage ratings; Use for comparison purposes only; Your mileage will vary depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle, driving conditions, battery pack age/condition (hybrid models), and other factors.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I could sit here and link to all the reviews, but a few things and common themes:
  • I feel sort of bad for Acura that the press launch of the car has been completely overshadowed by the F-150 Lightning. I'm sure Acura didn't know that in advance, but damn... ouch.
  • However, why is it so overshadowed? Because the F-150 Lightning is a hugely impressive, game-changing product and the TLX Type S is not.
  • Reviews note: Car really isn't that sporty, but feels like a bump up over the A Spec. V6 is "OK" but not particularly powerful, especially with the extra 300lbs over the 4cyl version
  • Not any better than the aging/current S4. I read the term "paying less, but getting less" on Acurazine. Ouch.
  • At 19/24/21, the MPG is lackluster... and why, on a brand new V6 with 10AT?
    • The twin-turbo V6 LS 500 that weighs ~800 lbs more and has 61 more horsepower returns 18/29/22.
    • ES 350 returns 22/32/26... I know it's 50 less horsepower, but the ES also weighs NEARLY 600 LBS less.
    • IS 350 is 19/26/22
Read back through this thread - I was initially excited about this car because it felt to me like Acura was awake again and there was some promise of performance. There were rumors of 380-400hp from the new turbo V6 and then we were brought slowly back to reality. The 350hp turbo V6 became a big question mark with this car, not really providing a huge bump over the standard 4 cylinder and not getting close to the "400" number that has become standard for midsize performance vehicles. Now we see it isn't that powerful, fast or efficient.

The IS 500 weighs 360 lbs less and has 117 more horsepower, so the question becomes: "How much more will it cost?" If it comes in around $60k, I think that is a pretty dark day for Acura because WTF is the point of this car?

Last point: I saw this comment on Acurazine and it stuck with me: "This should have been the base car." Yeah... wow... that's true actually. I know we're living in a world of downsizing and turbocharged 4 cylinders, and we know Acura makes a great 2.0T, which made the stakes for this new V6 even higher... and this turned out to be a pretty pedestrian V6 engine that they marketed into something it isn't. This should have probably been the A Spec TLX, and if they put it in the MDX, I hope they don't call it "Type S" there either, because in an even heavier wrapper, it's going to make for an even less interesting package.