Toyota Yaris Master Thread (Sedan & Hatch Discontinued for USA)

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
We kind of already know it will have 240-260hp 1.6l 3cl turbo engine, rumors have been strong for a long time.
That sounds more like a full-fledged Yaris GRMN. I don't see a Yaris GR or even GR Sport being that powerful.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
For GR look at what they do currently with Corolla - appearance and suspension mods, not a new engine.
My point exactly. That's why I suggested that the 240-260 hp 1.6-liter turbo would be a GRMN. GR would, as you suggest, be appearance and suspension mods but using the regular naturally-aspirated Dynamic Force 1.5-liter 3-cylinder engine.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
My point exactly. That's why I suggested that the 240-260 hp 1.6-liter turbo would be a GRMN. GR would, as you suggest, be appearance and suspension mods but using the regular naturally-aspirated Dynamic Force 1.5-liter 3-cylinder engine.

Yeah... probably hybrid though, well likely both... Corolla GR Sport will actually remove current "Sport" version.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I hope it does come eventually. Current Mazda 2 generation is getting up there in age. Toyota probably has contract with Mazda for production of units for amount of years.

Ford eventually got the message about only giving Europe the good versions of compacts, we can hope Toyota does too. It's not like pre-Internet where nobody knew there was a much superior version being sold overseas.

Reactions
Ford eventually got the message about only giving Europe the good versions of compacts, we can hope Toyota does too. It's not like pre-Internet where nobody knew there was a much superior version being sold overseas.
That new Yaris will be a better product than the Mazda Yaris. It will be no brainer to bring it over. I hope they do.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Yaris GR-4 to debut at Rally Australia on Nov 17

I can't believe they are actually doing this. No car maker would build an AWD WRC homologation special today, and one would think Toyota will never even toy with this idea.

While the GR-'4' could just mean 4 cylinders, the name reminds me of the Celica GT-Four homologation specials they made in the Group A days, so I believe this is going to be AWD.

BTW they just won the Driver's Championship this year with Ott Tanak, and their team boss is Tommi Makinen, so the launch event will be that much more prestigious.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

e-four in Yaris should be a 6hp motor at the back, like in UX. I dont think that would be called GR-4.

I do wish they do a rear motor with maximum battery output, so >40hp but still putting that into a what should be a sport hatch - not so sure.

Then again, their previous GR Sports have same engine as rest of the lineup.

Reactions
Yaris GR-4 to debut at Rally Australia on Nov 17

I can't believe they are actually doing this. No car maker would build an AWD WRC homologation special today, and one would think Toyota will never even toy with this idea.

While the GR-'4' could just mean 4 cylinders, the name reminds me of the Celica GT-Four homologation specials they made in the Group A days, so I believe this is going to be AWD.

BTW they just won the Driver's Championship this year with Ott Tanak, and their team boss is Tommi Makinen, so the launch event will be that much more prestigious.

Then Tanak chooses to leave Toyota for Hyundai. -______-

People blasted him for this decision. Look at his instagram page and the majority of people are either pissed or flat out angry. Some are just wishing him to get wiped by Toyota.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions

People blasted him for this decision. Look at his instagram page and the majority of people are either pissed or flat out angry. Some are just wishing him to get wiped by Toyota.
Hope Neuville and Rovanperä get signed by Toyota

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

I like that their is still sportsmanship among people, but in the end it is likely a money decision, nothing wrong with that.

Reactions
Hope Neuville and Rovanperä get signed by Toyota

As much as I am sick of "Sebastiens" winning titles back to back, I honestly hope Ogier and Neuville move to Toyota. They need some good drivers there and will wipe the floor with the competition, even Tanak. I immediately stopped being a fan of him once he left the team that made him a World Champion.

I like that their is still sportsmanship among people, but in the end it is likely a money decision, nothing wrong with that.

Tanak is trying to prove that he can lift the Hyundai to a world title but he's f*cked. Hyundai is desperate LMAO. If you're trying to outspend TOYOTA (i.e. the biggest automotive company in the world), then something is up. Hyundai will go to sh*t if they facilitate a battle between Neuville and Tanak.

Will1991

Reactions
@F1 Silver Arrows , a lot of money doesn't translate in victories.... Just look to Toyota's F1 effort...

I don't know how, but Akio really managed to turn the biggest car brand upside down... Toyota started to excel in everything, just look:
-> Motosport wins WEC/WRC/DAKAR;
-> Great looking cars like the Corolla/Camry/Yaris
-> Managed to bring excitement to Lexus with RCF/LFA/LC/ISF/GSF
-> They just give a gigantic leap forward technology wise (the best thermal efficiency engines, massively improved hybrid powertrain)
-> Two purpose built sports coupe (GT86/Supra)

All of this in what, 10 years?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions

Tanak might have believed his dominating pace this year is mainly from his driving not the car, which could be partially true. However the consensus among people is that the top 3 are evenly matched and whoever gets the best car (and luck) wins. We will only know next year when he is pitted against Neuville. I don't blame Tanak for going for the money, plus it's always an extra honor for a driver to win multiple championships in different cars to prove they earned them from better driving.

Makinen might wanted to save a few millions but it may backfire in the end. If he ended up having to scramble a deal with Ogier he would have to pay much more (don't know how much Ogier's Red Bull sponsor money could offset). There is no way Toyota would allow Makinen to only have an unproven Rovanpera as the title contender.

The only question remaining is whether Ogier has a performance clause with Citroen which allows him to leave if the car underperforms. I know Red Bull definitely doesn't want their logo on an uncompetitive car. Seeing how Ogier almost won the championship in a car he called 'undrivable', I'm pretty sure Ogier could win another driver's title for Toyota (which I personally don't want to see). He is still the master of damage control for maximizing points when the rally doesn't go his way.