The 3rd-gen Toyota Tacoma thread (mid-cycle refresh)

Motor

Expert
Reactions
2020 Toyota Tacoma Storms into the Windy City
https://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/2020+toyota+tacoma+storms+windy+city.htm
Tacom-ing soon!

For more information on the 2020 Toyota Tacoma, be sure to tune in to the Toyota Press Conference at the Chicago Auto Show at 10:00 a.m. CST, Thursday, February 7, 2019.

Get your front row access here:
#tacoma
2020-Toyota-Tacoma-Teaser-0008.jpg

Can't wait.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
a mid cycle refresh already?

Cant they just do the 4runner/lancruiser/Tundra/sequoia first?
To my knowledge, Toyota 4Runner and Lexus GX join Tacoma in receiving a mid-cycle refresh later this year. Land Cruiser and Tundra should be all-new for 2020 (2021 model year), followed by all-new Sequoia a year after that.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
It appears the grill is gonna be bigger and the side mirrors will get turn signal lights. Can't wait. Hopefully this Tacoma will surpass the Chevy Colorado and Ford Ranger in quality and ride handling, the Tacoma already surpasses the Colorado and Ranger in sales.

Last edited:

Motor

Expert
Reactions
the Tacoma already surpasses the Colorado and Ranger in sales.

And resale.

2019 Best Resale Value Awards: Top Ten Cars
https://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resale-value-awards/best-resale-top-10-cars/
1. 2019 Toyota Tacoma — 62.2 percent resale value at 60 months

2. 2019 Jeep Wrangler — 58.3 percent resale value at 60 months

3. 2019 Toyota Tundra — 56.9 percent resale value at 60 months

4. 2019 GMC Sierra — 56.7 percent resale value at 60 months

5. 2019 Toyota 4Runner — 56.3 percent resale value at 60 months

6. 2019 Chevrolet Silverado — 53.7 percent resale value at 60 months

7. 2019 Honda Ridgeline — 51.3 percent resale value at 60 months

8. 2019 Chevrolet Colorado — 50.9 percent resale value at 60 months

9. 2019 Ford F-Series — 50.6 percent resale value at 60 months

10. 2019 Porsche Macan — 50.0 percent resale value at 60 months

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Having spent a good bit of time driving the Tacoma and it's competition (except for the ranger), I can't stress how badly this refresh is needed. An updated 2GR-FKS with 8AT (even if the same as the Camry) would be a welcome addition. Interior needs some love too, as does the driving dynamics.

Powertrain is the biggest sore spot, IMO.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Didn't the 4Runner already get a mid-cycle refresh in 2013?
Yes.

As Toyota and Lexus alike lengthen the lifespan of numerous models (car, SUV and truck alike), however, the "2 mid-cycle refreshes/facelifts" tactic becomes more and more common. This trend was arguably kicked off by the 3rd-gen (XX30) Toyota Avalon, followed by the 2nd-gen (XE20) Lexus IS. Other models following this pattern include the 4th-gen (XF40) Lexus LS, 3rd-gen (T270) Toyota Avensis and current (3rd-gen/XL30) Toyota Sienna. I'm sure there are others that don't immediately come to mind.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Everyone keeps asking but I think it's safe to assume that what goes under the hood of the 2020 Tacoma will also be what's going under the hood of the 2020 4Runner. TBD.

i dont think there could be large differences, maybe 8AT? But then everyone will hate it :)

They fixed 6AT issues with TSB recently.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Meanwhile...

Ford Ranger demand is through the roof; 'massive overtime' shifts planned to keep up
Even Ford is surprised by how many people want a Ranger

The 2019 Ford Ranger has only been on sale for about a month, but sales are already beyond what Ford expected. Demand is so high that Ford is planning to run overtime shifts at the plant, according to an Automotive News report.

Kumar Galhotra, Ford president of North America said this to media yesterday concerning the Ranger: "Based on the orders coming in, and based on the hand-raisers, we think the demand's going to be so strong, that starting in February our assembly plant will be going into massive overtime."

The Michigan plant Galhotra is referring to, previously built the Ford Focus, but was renovated to build body-on-frame vehicles like this Ranger and potentially the 2020 Bronco. Exact details for how much overtime "massive" means, wasn't given to media.

Ford says about 300,000 people have already indicated plans to purchase the Ranger, a high amount for the current mid-size truck market. The Toyota Tacoma (mid-size leader) came close to hitting 250,000 last year, followed by the combined sales of the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon at a little shy of 170,000. Sales aren't nearly on pace to overtake the Tacoma, yet, but Ford does expect January sales to total 1,200 for the just-released Ranger. There's historical precedent for the Ranger to hit 300,000 sales per year, though. It regularly crested that mark throughout the 1990s before dropping off a cliff in the mid 2000s. With gas cheap and truck buyers aplenty, there's no reason to doubt the Ranger will be a sales success, but only time will tell if it hits the 300,000 mark this year.

Source: https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/31/ford-ranger-demand-high-more-production-coming/

Reactions: RAL

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
do you think Ranger will overtake Tacoma?

Overtake, no. I think it would take another generation of truck to do that. But I do think it will be interesting to see if the Ranger takes share/sales from the Tacoma, or just increases the size of the midsize truck market by bringing in net-new buyers. I personally think it will be both.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Overtake, no. I think it would take another generation of truck to do that. But I do think it will be interesting to see if the Ranger takes share/sales from the Tacoma, or just increases the size of the midsize truck market by bringing in net-new buyers. I personally think it will be both.

it should take sales from Tacoma, but Toyota is still expanding Tacoma production, they are still under-delivering, so its sales will actually grow.
I doubt Ranger will do even half of Tacoma sales this year though, they started really small.

Ranger is serious competitor to Hilux/Tacoma worldwide, however it is still way, way below Hilux alone, let alone Tacoma+Hilux.
Toyota sold 551k Hilux's last year (up 9.1%) and 265k Tacoma's (up 21.5%) while Ford sold 263k Rangers (+0.4%).

Ranger is actually way older, it is from 2011-2012 and it was facelifted in 2016 for European market with minor mods for US market in late 2018.

So all is not roses on the other side of the fence either :)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Ranger is actually way older, it is from 2011-2012 and it was facelifted in 2016 for European market with minor mods for US market in late 2018.

So all is not roses on the other side of the fence either :)

Thanks for always adding in the global perspective to my generally US-centric view :)

One thing though: you could make the case that Tacoma is actually much older than the Ranger. The Tacoma platform dates back to 2005 with only the rear frame modified for the "Redesigned 2016" Tacoma. Then they changed the sheet metal and interior, and added the 2GR-FKS. It is still a 15 year old platform at its roots.

With that said, I am not a person who thinks BOF platforms need to change as much as unibody vehicles, or as marketing would indicate. It is a very basic formula that doesn't change as much as unibody manufacturing techniques.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Thanks for always adding in the global perspective to my generally US-centric view :)

One thing though: you could make the case that Tacoma is actually much older than the Ranger. The Tacoma platform dates back to 2005 with only the rear frame modified for the "Redesigned 2016" Tacoma. Then they changed the sheet metal and interior, and added the 2GR-FKS. It is still a 15 year old platform at its roots.

With that said, I am not a person who thinks BOF platforms need to change as much as unibody vehicles, or as marketing would indicate. It is a very basic formula that doesn't change as much as unibody manufacturing techniques.

they changed interior, exterior, powertrain and suspension and every part :p.
Toyota's old platforms dont share much, so it is less important and two vehicles on same "platform" can be completely different like old GS for instance.

With TNGA that changes as more is shared of suspension especially, it will still last for 2 model cycles though and I guess it is important that the base is done right.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
2020 Toyota Tacoma Positioned to Continue Segment Leadership with Host of New Upgrades
https://pressroom.toyota.com/releas...ment+leadership+with+host+of+new+upgrades.htm

• Electronically Power Adjustable Driver Seat Added to Most Grades
  • Upgraded Multimedia with Android Auto, Apple Carplay, Amazon Alexa Compatibility, Available 8” Touchscreen
  • New Grille and Wheel Designs on Most Grades
  • TRD Pro Features Unique Sequential LED Headlight, New Wheel, Standard Panoramic View Monitor (PVM) and Multi Terrain Monitor (MTM)
  • Panoramic View Monitor (PVM) Standard on Limited

With competition in the midsize pickup segment heating up, the Toyota Tacoma says, “Bring it.” The Tacoma has been America’s best-selling midsize pickup for 14 years running, and the 2020 models introduced at the Chicago Auto Show are the best-equipped ever.

A perennial award winner for segment-leading value, the Tacoma line boosts its appeal for 2020 with revised styling, expanded multimedia tech, added comfort and convenience features and, for the TRD Pro, additional off-road tech.

The third-generation Tacoma pickup, with a design inspired by Toyota’s legendary desert race trucks, continues the model’s tradition of working hard and playing hard. With more than 30 configurations in six model grades available, there’s a Tacoma for every need: work-ready SR; high-style, high-value SR5; athletic TRD Sport; adventurous TRD Off-Road; ultimate off-road TRD Pro; and top-of-the-line Limited.

Nearly all 2020 Tacomas debut a new front grille design and new or updated wheel, each tailored to the specific grade. Inside, a new 10-way power adjustable driver seat with power lumbar support adds comfort on all grades SR5 and up. A new multimedia system now includes Android Auto, Apple CarPlay and Amazon Alexa compatibility. The SR will feature an upgraded 7-inch touchscreen, while SR5 grades and higher will feature a larger 8-inch touchscreen display. A new LED bed lamp is also available to brighten nighttime functionality while consuming less energy.

Changes Across the Board

While every Tacoma will receive the upgraded audio system and larger touchscreen display, specific changes unique to each grade are not to be overlooked.

The Tacoma SR workhorse gets its share of updates in 2020, including a new grille design and intermittent wiper. Out back, the taillights are revised with a new dark housing. The LED bed lamp is an available option. SR will feature a larger 7-inch touchscreen with new multimedia system that features Android Auto, Apple Carplay, Amazon Alexa and SiriusXM capability, and more.

Tacoma SR5 is fitted with a new grille design, a new 16-inch dark satin wheel color, darker taillight housings, and an updated fabric design on the seatback. SR5 will also offer an available LED bed lamp and DRL headlight option.

For Tacoma TRD Sport, a new grille and 17-inch wheel highlight the changes. It also adds Passenger Smart Key entry, chrome taillamp inserts, and new LED fog lamps. A new LED DRL and LED headlight is available, as is the new LED bed lamp. The new Panoramic View Monitor (PVM) is available on Sport grades, and it provides views around the truck for easier, safer maneuvering in tight situations.

Tacoma TRD Off-Road will feature a new front grille design, LED foglamp, chrome insert taillamp and Passenger Smart Key entry. To provide a better view of the terrain under the vehicle, Multi-Terrain Monitor (MTM) is available. A new LED DRL and LED headlight is an available upgrade, as is a LED bed lamp. TRD Off-Road also comes standard with TRD-tuned Bilstein shocks, locking rear differential, Hill Assist Control (HAC), Multi-Terrain Select and Crawl Control.

Tacoma Limited’s look is more premium than ever with a new grille design, 18-inch alloy wheels, standard LED DRL and LED headlamps, and chrome taillamp inserts. It also received the upgraded Smart Key operation on the passenger door. The new Panoramic View Monitor (PVM) is standard equipment on Limited-grade Tacomas.

Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P), standard on every Tacoma grade, includes Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert with Sway Warning System, Automatic High Beams and High-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC).

Tacoma by the Numbers

Tacoma Access Cab models ride on a 127.4-inch wheelbase and have a 73.7-inch-long bed. The Tacoma Double Cab style is offered as a 127.4-inch wheelbase with a 60.5-inch bed or 140.6-inch wheelbase with the 73.7-inch bed. All models use an inner bed made from a sheet-molded composite (SMC) deck and tough, durable walls that are 10-percent lighter than steel.

The 2020 Tacoma offers a choice of two tough powertrains. The 2.7-liter DOHC 4-cylinder with 159 horsepower and 180 lb-ft of torque, and an available 3.5-liter V6 with 278 horsepower and 265 lb-ft of torque. Both are teamed to a 6-speed Electronically Controlled Automatic Transmission with intelligence (ECT-i), and the V6 can also be paired with a 6-speed manual transmission.

V6-powered Tacomas come standard with the Tow Package – which includes Class IV receiver hitch, automatic transmission fluid cooler, engine oil cooler, power steering cooler, 130-amp alternator, 4 & 7-pin connector with converter, and Trailer-Sway Control. When properly equipped, the Tacoma can pull up to 6,800 lbs. (per the SAE J2807 tow standard).

The Tacoma is assembled at Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas (TMMTX), in San Antonio and Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Baja California (TMMBC), in Baja California, Mexico.