2020 Toyota Tacoma

Gecko

Expert
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Knowing both that Toyota dealers have received a high number of complaints about the transmission, and how unpopular the powertrain has been with enthusiasts/buyers, I am surprised that there were no revisions to the powertrain. I suppose it's possible that Toyota could have revised and updated the shift logic within the existing 6AT and they wouldn't be reflected in any press materials. However, they have tried to issue several TSiBs to fix it with no real solution, so that makes me think the problem is more widespread.

Toyota is lucky that gas prices are so low right now - it's effectively the one thing that's allowing them to continue selling 10-15 year old hardware without consequence. MPG in Toyota trucks and SUVs is so far below competitors that it is a noticeable difference in real world application. No biggie when gas is $2.20 a gallon. As you start crossing $3/gal, people pay more attention IMO.

I hope TNGA-F is as much of a leap forward as they need.

ssun30

Expert
Reaction score
Knowing both that Toyota dealers have received a high number of complaints about the transmission, and how unpopular the powertrain has been with enthusiasts/buyers, I am surprised that there were no revisions to the powertrain. I suppose it's possible that Toyota could have revised and updated the shift logic within the existing 6AT and they wouldn't be reflected in any press materials. However, they have tried to issue several TSiBs to fix it with no real solution, so that makes me think the problem is more widespread.

Toyota is lucky that gas prices are so low right now - it's effectively the one thing that's allowing them to continue selling 10-15 year old hardware without consequence. MPG in Toyota trucks and SUVs is so far below competitors that it is a noticeable difference in real world application. No biggie when gas is $2.20 a gallon. As you start crossing $3/gal, people pay more attention IMO.

I hope TNGA-F is as much of a leap forward as they need.
OVTune's 2GR-FKS/6AT fix is almost complete. I am genuinely surprised Toyota is too cheap to fix their issues because they can get away with it. They are literally outdone by a third-party tuner shop.

Three years ago Toyota pulled the Land Cruiser out of the chinese market because they were too cheap to re-certify the drivetrain for emissions (the excuse they gave was, you guessed it, 'poor demand'). The grey importers ended up flashing new engine software themselves and now these guys sell 30k LC200s at 25% markup (so much for the 'poor demand' part). In fact they even contracted third-party tuners to develop upgrades to make the LC200 comply with the upcoming 2021 emission standards.

Motor

Follower
Reaction score
The 2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro Goes Where Few Trucks Can
While Toyota’s intention on this trip was to highlight the changes to the 2020 Tacoma, what really struck home was what hasn’t changed—the fact that the Tacoma is still a rock-solid truck, tough as nails and engineered to crawl with the best off-roaders. While we’d like to see some more investment in the truck’s off-road electronics, overall we’re glad the engineers and product planning gave it a light touch.
2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro Has a Rugged, Split Personality
If there's a 2019 TRD Pro sitting next to the 2020 model at a dealership, go for the one that sells without a premium. But the new seats and the multi-terrain monitor built into the new center screen make the newer example just better enough to merit paying a few more bucks for. Toyota will likely sell a quarter-million Tacomas this year, and the biggest reason for that is its reputation for quality. But this is an old truck facing competition that often works better in the situations in which most buyers operate their trucks. If Toyota is going to keep an advantage in this market, it's time for a newer truck that does more things well—even if few compact trucks work better in the dirt than the Tacoma TRD Pro.
Happy Taco Tuesday! 🌮