MKV Toyota Supra Master Thread

Reactions
Yup, they said they "could've" engineered their own i6 but that would've delayed the Supra by 2-3 years and pushed the price up to 100k. They did this partnership with BMW to bring down the costs so the Supra would be attainable for enthusiasts, which has sort of been Toyota/Lexus's MO as of late.

Can't wait for the uber track edition Supra that'll most likely come in a few years. Wonder what they'll call it since this one already has the gazoo nameplate.

Btw that Yellow looks great, does anybody know if its the same flare yellow on the LC500?

GRMN. And regarding your final question. No. It uses BMW's Atacama Yellow. Which is a gorgeous yellow. :)

Just like most luxury brands with an enthusiast performance bent have several "steps" in their performance vehicle "ladders" (F- Sport/F for Lexus, S-Line, S and RS for Audi and so forth), Gazoo works in a similar manner.

At the bottom is GR Sport, consisting of body kits and minor interior and suspension tweaks. Next comes GR (where the MkV Supra is launching) with more extensive cosmetic, suspension and brake upgrades but the powertrain remains untouched. Finally, the most performance-oriented Gazoo models bear the GRMN moniker, and those add powertrain upgrades to the GR menu. I think it's just a matter of time before we see a GRMN Supra bearing the higher-tuned 382 hp B58B30O1 version of the BMW B58 3-liter inline 6, as opposed to the 335 hp B58B30M1 in the GR Supra.

Highly unlikely, but we'll know for sure when Toyota gets around to releasing the 3-character paint code for the Supra's Nitro Yellow. For the record, the Lexus Flare Yellow is 5C1.

If past history is anything to go by, Toyota's joint-venture sports cars have deferred to paint colors from the partner's exterior color palette, given that the vehicles have been built in the partner's factory. In other words, since Toyota 86/Scion FR-S are built in Subaru's Gunma Main Plant, they use Subaru paint colors and codes, even if the color names are different. For example, the shade of silver bearing the G1U color code bears the Steel name at Toyota but the Ice Silver Metallic name at Subaru. Two different names, same identical exterior color. This is the case with most FR-S/86/BRZ exterior colors, with a few exceptions and the oddball case if you own a Hot Lava-colored Scion. There are two distinct hues sharing that color name with 2 different color codes: H8R if you own a Subaru-built Scion FR-S or Toyota 86, and 4R8 for the other 100% Toyota Scion models. (For more on this admittedly nerdy subject, check out the Toyotareference.com FR-S/86/BRZ color code page and my Kaizen Factor article on the subject from April 2012).

Although both the MkV Supra and the BMW Z4 are built in the same "neutral" Magna-Steyr facility in Austria, I suspect that Toyota will defer to BMW on the issue of paint colors, just as they have on so many aspects of the latest Supra. Noteworthy here is a thread on the SupraMkV.com forums suggesting that the Supra's Nitro Yellow is BMW's Atacama Yellow renamed. I strongly agree.

That's correct. And undoubtedly the best color on the MkV Supra. The downshift blue is a close second then others come after that. Also it's suggesting that the higher "track edition" will take the 385 horsepower engine OR, they will give all GR Supra's that 385 horsepower tune. The GRMN will be a different beast altogether. Expect it to come 3 years from now.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
https://bestcarweb.jp/news/70964

Toyota Supra GRMN Appeares in 2021

Supra "Pra GRMN" expected to appear in 2021. It is a full-fledged tuning model equipped with a 400ps over straight 6 and 3L turbo

Normally, the 340ps / 51.0kgm 3L turbo is sure to be over 400ps, and it is rumored that there is also information that a manual for GRMN will be prepared.

The main concept of a normal Supra is a sports car that can be run on public roads in a fun way, but the GRM is a specification that can also be used for full-scale circuit driving, and will be a completely different type of ride. The debut is expected to be 2021.

20190426_NEW77_GRMN_01.jpg

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I guess someone complained enough for toyota to make subliminal changes.
With that much torque, I wonder if toyota will reinforce their rear subframe. BMW's, especially the M5, suffer from this.

Someone put both cars up on a lift and found that the Supra does have differently tuned steering and a different steering rack than the BMW, although the overall suspension architecture is the same. Not sure if any rear suspension differences were noted.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Then why wouldnt you compare this to the inline 4 toyota will sell globally (besides the US)? The supra, as of the moment, is mid tier.

So far the I4 is only on sale in Japan. The US, Canada, Europe, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand are I6 only.

Notice how almost nobody pays any significant attention to the 4-cylinder Supra (even countries that impose taxes) and all eyes are on the inline-six Supra.

Yup, and over in Japan the I6 Supra soldout just like that. The only ones that haven't been called for are the I4 SZ and SZ-R.

Last edited: