4th Generation Toyota Highlander (and Grand Highlander) Thread

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
A Grand Highlander, a stretched Highlander with more room in the 3rd-row, makes a lot of sense to me. Toyota would finally have a true, 3-row crossover to go against the Subaru Ascent, Honda Pilot, Ford Explorer, Hyundai Palisade and Kia Telluride. (I never believed that Toyota would expect 3-row crossover buyers to buy the new Sienna minivan, despite its more aggressive styling.)

When this generation of the Highlander was introduced, I was surprised that it was neither a replacement for the 1st-generation, 2-row Venza (I believe that the 2nd-generation Venza is too small to be a direct replacement for the 1st-generation Venza), nor was it a true competitor against crossovers with larger 3rd rows, like the Subaru Ascent, Honda Pilot and Ford Explorer.

The Grand Highlander could also serve as the base for the expected 3-row Lexus TX.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I actually got curious last weekend and test drove a Highlander Hybrid Limited... potentially to replace my 4Runner. The +20MPG difference and new tech were really appealing.

Pretty quickly, I realized that the Highlander was not for me. I forget that crossovers are literally the in-between when comparing true SUVs and passenger cars... with a driving position that's between the two and driving dynamics that are neither as quick as a sedan or as substantial feeling as a true SUV. Overall, it's really nice though, and perfect for someone looking for extra space, new features and great MPG. It was incredibly solid and planted on the road, and I liked how it handled. The difference in TNGA products compared to their predecessors is immediately noticeable, and the Highlander was really impressive... but just not for me.

With that said, our Camry XSE V6 came in yesterday and we're picking it up (and trading in the IS) on Saturday. Driving the HH made me excited to drive GA-K in a sportier execution with more power. More to come.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
Reactions

They like it.
It looks like Toyota Indiana is supplying the world with Highlanders/Klugers...thought Japan would be building them again but nah. I think China was building the last generation, not sure if their plant has switched over yet, or they are just supplying Chinese market orders only.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
^^FAW has set up the line for new gen and will launch by the end of the year. Their capacity couldn't match local demands so they wouldn't be able to export anyway.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
If it were our money, we'd probably go with the XSE, as we prefer its handling on the road and its stickier tires. We'd rather have the XLE's exterior design, but we'd get the red leatherette seats if we were buying the XSE. We can't have the best of both worlds here, but we're glad Toyota is giving customers more options to choose from.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Highlander to Western Europe was already a very late move
Glad Toyota finally did it
Even more Glad with the car amazing feedback in the homeland of GLE / E / Q7 !

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Now we are waiting the real crown that a lot of Toyota top guys said that it's not like anything!

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
"Crown" will become the premium line for FAW-Toyota. They just rebadged the Vellfire to "Crown Vellfire".

Also Innova is trademarked in China as well.
WEF.jpegHG.jpg

shizhi

Follower
Reactions
So is "Crown" like "Limited" here in the States? Or is Crown going to be an entire premium line of vehicles specifically, vs. just a trim level?
Crown will be a premiun line, not a trim level.
However, the use of the name "Crown" is more of a publicity function, because in China, Highlander and Alaphard have been sold for many years. As twin models, they are also direct competitors. Kluger and Vellfire use "crown" as a prefix, which is nothing but to leave consumers a more advanced feeling in the first impression.