2020 Subaru Outback

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I know a lot of people love Subaru - there's something of a cult following - but I just don't understand this in terms of market positioning. I feel like the people who would want something with more off road capability would go to a 4Runner or Wrangler, especially because this Outback looks like a hand-me-down wagon some kid put off road tires on after his parents gifted it to him.

The reveal video calls out the RAV4 and CR-V... those would be competitors to the Forrester, not the Outback, right?

Forrester and Ascent "Wilderness" would make more sense to me as they are more upright and SUV-forward, but I guess the Outback is their core model.

Oh well. What do I know?

mikeavelli

Reactions
I know a lot of people love Subaru - there's something of a cult following - but I just don't understand this in terms of market positioning. I feel like the people who would want something with more off road capability would go to a 4Runner or Wrangler, especially because this Outback looks like a hand-me-down wagon some kid put off road tires on after his parents gifted it to him.

The reveal video calls out the RAV4 and CR-V... those would be competitors to the Forrester, not the Outback, right?

Forrester and Ascent "Wilderness" would make more sense to me as they are more upright and SUV-forward, but I guess the Outback is their core model.

Oh well. What do I know?
How about I don’t understand the entire brand outside of they go 30mph in the fast lane lol

Levi

Expert
Reactions
That is Subaru trying to get aftermarket customers. Google "lifted subaru". It is huge business for Subaru given the niche.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Can't say anything bad about it. Subaru are already very good for the beaten path. Most SUVs/UTEs are to much for most and almost never used to their full potential. This Outback turns out to be more than just some lifted springs and plastic, as the Toyota TRD models: improved bumper angles, underbody plates, revised X-mode, everything updated to new ride height, 6 lug wheels (they did a conversion!!!!!!, never seen that before!!!!), revised gear ratios!!!!!!

This is serious stuff. It is equivalent (or at least closer) to F, M, AMG, RS in terms of development. Toyota better take note for their TRD models. This Outback will be more agile than any off road SUV/CUV, being lighter and lower.

Edit: some illusion when I watched the vid, 5 lugs, no 6.

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I agree with what most people are saying here, and there's no way I can take this Wilderness Edition seriously given it has a CVT. However, I totally understand why this exists. The most enthusiastic Subaru owners take their vehicles to their limits. This vehicle exists for those that want to take their Subaru to higher limits, but those who do not want to buy a body-on-frame off-road vehicle.

9.5 inches of ground clearance is really good for a unibody. Are you paying attention Toyota? This is noticeably more ground clearance than even a Rav4 TRD Off-Road. This is also almost the same ground clearance as a stock 4Runner. While I wouldn't buy one of these, it's great that this competition exists. Hopefully it will push Toyota to increase ground clearance on the Rav4 and 4Runner.

Will1991

Reactions
You’re all forgetting the most important thing about Subaru:

Love, is what makes Subaru, a Subaru 😜

And I love that boxer rumble!

For NA they’ve some incredible adverts, the love campaign, dog tested, etc... They do know how to sell it!

I will be honest, I have a soft spot for Subaru, it’s my third Japanese brand right after Lexus and Toyota.

Reactions: RAL

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I hope Subaru will continue making the same trail capable cars (with fat tires and off-road specific electronic calibration) for their BEVs, it will give them a USP over the other "suved" MPVs.

Levi

Expert
Reactions

The car is really capable, more capable than every CUV/SUV out there. I wish CUVs/SUVs were more trail capable if they try to look like that.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
independent suspensions always have more ground clearance than solid axle with same suspension height because their diff housing are mounted higher. But independent suspension naturally have less wheel travel for the same ride height. So Outback with 245mm ground clearance is not comparable to 4Runner with same ground clearance, and 4Runner is also not comparable to J70 with 245mm ride height. It won't even be comparable to J150 prado that is 30mm lower.
In general Toyota is very conservative with ride height settings. Their trucks always ride slightly lower than competition for better on-road stability. Even the supposedly offroad-dedicated J300 GR-S only has 230mm (lower than stock J70/Bronco/Wrangler). They know their aftermarket is very strong so they let 3rd party do the big lifts. But this generally means consumers will have to make do with the lower truck if they want full stock experience.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
independent suspensions always have more ground clearance than solid axle with same suspension height because their diff housing are mounted higher. But independent suspension naturally have less wheel travel for the same ride height. So Outback with 245mm ground clearance is not comparable to 4Runner with same ground clearance, and 4Runner is also not comparable to J70 with 245mm ride height. It won't even be comparable to J150 prado that is 30mm lower.
In general Toyota is very conservative with ride height settings. Their trucks always ride slightly lower than competition for better on-road stability. Even the supposedly offroad-dedicated J300 GR-S only has 230mm (lower than stock J70/Bronco/Wrangler). They know their aftermarket is very strong so they let 3rd party do the big lifts. But this generally means consumers will have to make do with the lower truck if they want full stock experience.
obviously. of course the Subaru will never match a 4x4. what i am continually pointing out is how capable subaru is, most 4x4 not using theirs to full potential, a Subaru would be enough. but even then i do not criticize people that have a "tool" they don't use. the big offenders are CUVs/SUVs, that prentend to be a "tool" by looking as one, but can't even do what Subaru does. i doubt the NX will be able to do what the Subaru does. wish it could, otherwise i see no reason for it over a hypothetical IS wagon.

ps: if the wagon is tiny it is primarily because CUVs replaced them.