2020 off-road package

Reactions
Hi everyone. This is my first post.

I’ve been anxiously waiting for the 2020 GX configurator to go live, and it finally did today. Man, am I disappointed to find out that Lexus forces you into the Luxury trim to access the off-road package. I was hoping that it would be an option on at least the Premium trim. Previously, if you wanted CRAWL, you had to get the driver support package, which also got you the safety features. My hope was that with safety now standard, we would see CRAWL on the lower trims. But no...

I’m sorry but this just does not make sense to me. I specifically want the GX460 for its capability and (smaller) size vs a Land Cruiser 200 series. It’s going to get dirty! Therefore I don’t want all the ultra luxury wood grain and blah blah blah. And I especially don’t want 19” wheels! Taking 19’s off-road is ridiculous.

So I have a question for the group. Do you think it’s possible to special order a 2020 GX from the factory, perhaps a base or prem with the off-road package?

Alternately, would it be possible for me to purchase a new or CPO second gen GX and have a dealer install the multi terrain monitor? That new under carriage camera system is really to biggest advancement as far as the 2020 model year. I’ve read that adding CRAWL and MTS is possible DIY.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
From the resources I have seen, the offroad package for MY20 is only available on Luxury and beyond.

MY19 and before have the DIY Crawl and MTS system retrofittable, but camera systems seem are only on the Luxury and that too specifcially if you have the pre-wired harnesses.

If you live in certain markets, they come standard with the 360 camera.

What specific parts of the offroad package do you need exactly?

Camera=You can add additional 3p cameras with higher resolution on a seperate screen if you need
Skid plates offroad hardware=soo many vendors exist for this

Reactions
2020 crawl and MTS retrofit is still up in the air. Prior MTS module is not in the 2020 and crawl switch is different. All functions may be handled by one specific ECU this go around.