1st Generation Lexus RC 300, 350, F and Track Edition Megathread

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I used to believe the TVD is a rarely used gimmick that only adds dead weight.

Now I won't buy a F-brand car without one. The "shrink the car" effect is literally magic.

I would say (at least on the GS-F) "Slalom" mode is a bit too responsive. "Normal" is already good enough to rotate the car extremely well. In "Slalom" mode the car is too sharp for the stock tyres to handle, which I think pairs perfectly with a RC-F with very sticky tyres.

Last edited:

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
I have to say F brand is probably the poorest managed Lexus product since HS or a pure fluke like last minute decision to introduce the performance brand thanks to IS V8 and LFA experiment. They had LFA to help and spread the launch the F models across the brand and they did very little with it. If I was to guess its the engine where they failed by completely missing the prediction of turbo trend. By the time they developed V8TT the whole decade has passed by. In comparison BMW had V8 twin turbo back in 2008, one year after first ever Lexus F car has been put up on sale. But honestly I could be all wrong about F mismanagement as well. Maybe enthusiast IS-F project was never meant to spin F into anything in Lexus but they just went with it. And LFA becoming a reality at the time just gave them confidence they can do something to boost the brand and get some more cash. I guess only upper management would know such thing.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
I used to believe the TVD is a rarely used gimmick that only adds dead weight.

Now I won't buy a F-brand car without one. The "shrink the car" effect is literally magic.

I would say (at least on the GS-F) "Slalom" mode is a bit too responsive. "Normal" is already good enough to rotate the car extremely well. In "Slalom" mode the car is too sharp for the stock tyres to handle, which I think pairs perfectly with a RC-F with very sticky tyres.

TVD is definitely an engineering marvel. The steering feels a lot faster especially in SLALOM mode with so much nose response right off-center in the steering. I believe Lexus put a TVD-only on GSF for that reason given the 193.5 inches length, it would not turn well with a Torsen LSD inherently due to nature of long wheelbase. TVD makes GSF feel much shorter and smaller than it actually is. RCF on the other hand, is already 1 foot shorter and officially with a 50% stiffer chassis so it really snaps the nose in very hard in SLALOM if one does not "finger-tip" through the initial turn.

Also, the way I could balance the car taking long sweeping turns using throttle/steering with the car pivoting somewhere in the middle while the front/back gently sliding side to side with my throttle/steering inputs, is just MAGIC! No way else to describe that. The type of speeds I can carry by constantly feeding in more power through the turn without ever going anywhere near the brakes by using that technique of managing understeer/oversteer balance, is just surreal.

Last edited:

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I legit kinda wish Toyota would have stuff the TVD into the GR Yaris and GR Corolla, make them into like the AYC in certain Mitsubishi Evos.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Before I put the car away for the winter, I made quite a lot of videos over the summer months. I edited together some acceleration, fly-bys, downshifts on my RCF with Invidia full exhaust + other bolt-on mods to give an idea of how it sounds from the outside under load. Thought I would share it for anyone interested.

I also have Dragy timed GPS run videos as well of 0-60 mph, 1/4 mile and 60 - 130 mph sitting in the can I need to find time to edit together.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I believe that is @mikeavelli at 1:08.

Yes. On my end I helped get Lexus enthusiasts there to be part of the commercial. They shot the racing sequence earlier on the track. I was honored to be featured and glad I was able to include my son.

We were out there till after 1am at Michelin Raceway….

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
In case anyone is interested, here are best runs of my 60 - 130 mph (96 - 210 km/h). I will publish the 1/4 mile before/after once I have the harmonic damper pulley installed when I get the car out of storage so stay tuned. 60 - 130 mph is a good measure since it is all about pure horsepower and top end acceleration.

I would have been able to get into the 10s comfortably if I had been at sea level density altitude. For comparison, a stock C8 500 HP Corvette was consistently testing at 10.6 seconds at sea level. Not bad for an RCF with a couple of bolt-ons.

Cracking 11s in the 60 - 130 mph (96 - 210 km/h) at a challenging 3600+ feet density altitude

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
RCF returns potentially (and hopefully) for its last year. The RCF GT3 racing will be retired after the 2023 season so RCF being a homologation requirement will no longer be the case so I can see RCF sunsetting this year.

mikeavelli

Reactions

Incognito is the color and note it’s Track Edition again.

dylanfoos

Follower
Reactions

Looks good 👍🏽

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions

No more TVD.