1st Generation Lexus RC 300, 350, F and Track Edition Megathread

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
The RCF definitely has a lot of room to grow and I’m glad they hinted at that. Just drove one last week and loved it’s Jekyll/Hyde like personality.

Yep. Sport+/manual (TVD in slalom, if applicable) are the best modes I use. Everything changes when you select those modes. Steering, brakes, transmission speed, throttle response and AVS (for 2017+).

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
So there is a high likelihood of next gen IS and RC?

Lexus USA is very committed to the product, and for a lot of reasons. I think the catch point will be how they can position both globally to expand the appeal and business case for future generations. IS and RC would both need to be all-new models with new platforms and new powertrains, which is a huge investment for two cars that could end up being very low volume.

However, the reception to the 2021+ IS in this country has been absolutely wild, it has the lowest average customer age in the segment and the lowest customer age for Lexus. There is a lot of reason to keep it. IS 500 Launch Editions are all spoken for and many of the standard builds are as well. The hype is real!

This is me speaking - not in any official capacity or relaying any discussions I had - but I have to wonder how Lexus can make that case without transitioning the IS, or both, over to something like a FWD/AWD or an eTNGA platform. With so many of the JDM RWD models going away, GS gone and Crown allegedly moving to an SUV, the development cost for an IS or RC becomes very high unless it can somehow be tied to the LS and LC, and/or some sort of CUV.

So, I don't know how the IS and RC will live on, but I can promise you that Lexus USA is very enthusiastic about the product and sees tons of potential in both.

Reactions
https://racer.com/2021/03/16/insight-lexus-racing-following-a-carefully-crafted-story-arc/amp/

Lexus Racing chief said he has seen the next-gen RC-F and is very excited about it. The racing car will launch in 2024 and according to him the new car will be much more suited for GT3 Racing than current RC-F, which I think means more compact and light sportscar instead of GT. He even said It's a clean-sheet design optimized for motorsport from conception.

I think this could be related to the new small-size optimized FR platform that will replace the overweight GA-N platform. The production car could arrive in 2023 with F-sport/FSP options and full F a year later with the race car.
Hmmm. That article sounds like whatever new performance model Lexus is developing is going to replace the RC F in GT3 racing and not necessarily be a next-gen RC F. There were rumors of the off-then-on-again LC F being developed into a proper sports car and not just a LC500 with a powerful motor. I wouldn't be surpised to see the LC F or whatever they call it take the mantle for Lexus GT3 racing. It would make a ton of sense for the halo sports car be the face of Lexus racing imo

Jeonsa

Fan
Reactions
Lexus USA is very committed to the product, and for a lot of reasons. I think the catch point will be how they can position both globally to expand the appeal and business case for future generations. IS and RC would both need to be all-new models with new platforms and new powertrains, which is a huge investment for two cars that could end up being very low volume.

However, the reception to the 2021+ IS in this country has been absolutely wild, it has the lowest average customer age in the segment and the lowest customer age for Lexus. There is a lot of reason to keep it. IS 500 Launch Editions are all spoken for and many of the standard builds are as well. The hype is real!

This is me speaking - not in any official capacity or relaying any discussions I had - but I have to wonder how Lexus can make that case without transitioning the IS, or both, over to something like a FWD/AWD or an eTNGA platform. With so many of the JDM RWD models going away, GS gone and Crown allegedly moving to an SUV, the development cost for an IS or RC becomes very high unless it can somehow be tied to the LS and LC, and/or some sort of CUV.

So, I don't know how the IS and RC will live on, but I can promise you that Lexus USA is very enthusiastic about the product and sees tons of potential in both.
I mean after reading your point of view and your insight, I would agree they would need to share a RWD TNGA platform with more cars in the Toyota lineup going forward. Maybe the RC and IS share a platform with a A100 Supra and maybe a all electric Celica as well? I’m just spitballing but that seems like a logical step.
Isn't there a rumor going around about a smaller GA-L platform being made possibly?

Jeonsa

Fan
Reactions
Yep. Sport+/manual (TVD in slalom, if applicable) are the best modes I use. Everything changes when you select those modes. Steering, brakes, transmission speed, throttle response and AVS (for 2017+).
Yeah, it didn’t disappoint. After watching Mike’s videos on the Track edition and constantly seeing your profile picture, I had to go drive one lol.

Reactions

and Crown allegedly moving to an SUV

This was actually debunked by BestCar. The SUV was a China-only model and the Crown nameplate was just used to introduce a trim level for the Chinese market. Thank god it's not going to affect any other markets.

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions

Sport S+ doesn't do anything to the brakes. Only shock dampening, throttle sensitivity, transmission shift and steering.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
That is not accurate.

This is how Lexus put Sport+. Not sure why it highlights the brakes as well.

2015-lexus-rcf-gauge-cluster-sport-s-plus-mode.jpg