1st Generation Lexus RC 300, 350, F and Track Edition Megathread

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Guy gets the numbers wrong saying 12.8 in 1/4 mile. RCF TE should easily be a 12.2 - 12.3 secs with a good launch as a standard RCF is around 12.5.

Last edited:

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Just curious, what do you guys think about the RCF going forward? You think it’ll get discontinued, updated, etc?

It will continue for another couple of years from what I have heard. I read 2023 would be the last year (maybe, model year).

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Where did you read that at? I want to read up on it.

Someone on a forum who said RCF will continue for another couple of years. Considering 2022 is coming up and Lexus already talked about RCF's product positioning relative to the IS500 in 2022. So, I would give it another final year after that for 2023. That is why I think there is some truth to that.

Jeonsa

Fan
Reactions
Someone on a forum who said RCF will continue for another couple of years. Considering 2022 is coming up and Lexus already talked about RCF's product positioning relative to the IS500 in 2022. So, I would give it another final year after that for 2023. That is why I think there is some truth to that.
Look like I’m gonna have to grab one soon. Was hoping they would find some way of continuing the line. We’ll have to wait and see but until then I need to grab a Blue Mica. Haha

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
I was expecting to have 1.00+ g grip on the skidpad considering carbon/TVD RCF had a 0.98g lateral grip avg on the skidpad. For some odd reason, track edition got 0.94g with the same PS4S. It might be TVD enhancing the grip. Definitely, needs slick racing tires for proper mechanical grip.

Tested: 2021 Lexus RC F Fuji Lacks the Punch to Match Its Price (caranddriver.com)

Lexus knows the Fuji is a hard sell. It's offering only 60 examples in the United States for the 2021 model year, so exclusivity is a given. There's also an extra enticement to buy in the form of a special MSTR Fuji Speedway Edition watch that comes with each car. But rarity and cool watches can't change the RC F Fuji's cost-benefit imbalance. For those who are thoroughly smitten with its aggressive good looks, we recommend saving a bundle and going for a standard RC F, which performed virtually as well in our testing and carries a far more palatable $67,000 base price. For anyone else looking for a ground-based two-door missile, there are other, far worthier choices—for a hundred grand and a lot less.

1621808753620.png
The Lexus RC F Fuji Speedway Edition looks like a race car stripped of its numbers and sponsorship decals. It's powered by a 472-hp V-8 that rumbles under a vented hood made of exposed carbon fiber. It has a carbon-fiber wing stuck to its rear deck, fat tires inside its flared fenders, and big carbon-ceramic brakes behind its forged 19-inch alloy wheels. It drives with sweet, balanced precision and roars to a 7300-rpm redline. Did we mention it's named for a famous Japanese racing circuit? What's not to love?

For one thing, the price.

This version of Lexus's muscle coupe costs a hundred grand. Technically, its base price is $98,225. But add a few options like our test car had —navigation, LED headlamps, Mark Levinson audio system, parking assist, and illuminated door sills—and the as-tested sticker comes to $103,350. Hundred-grand cars, such as other premium-priced consumer goods, take us to a psychological tipping point of elevated expectations. The Fuji ultimately can't meet them because its price-value equation is upside down. It costs almost as much as a base Porsche 911 ($100,550) but performs like a Chevrolet Camaro SS ($38,695).

VIEW PHOTOS

The Fuji Speedway Edition is a new name in the RC lineup for 2021, but it's not a new model. Its setup was introduced in 2020 as the Track Edition variant of the V-8-powered, rear-wheel-drive RC F, the performance version of the standard RC coupe. The Track's upgrades carry over into the Fuji unchanged, including its carbon-fiber hood, roof, and rear wing; carbon-ceramic brakes; and 19-inch BBS wheels—all of which contribute to the Fuji weighing 178 pounds less than the last standard RC F we tested. In addition, the valving of its adaptive dampers is firmed up, and the Fuji forgoes the optional torque-vectoring differential of regular RC Fs and instead uses a Torsen limited-slip unit.

A car pumped up with this kind of top-shelf equipment ought to deliver good straight-line performance, and the Fuji Speedway Edition does. It launches to 60 mph in 4.0 seconds flat and discharges the quarter-mile in 12.4 seconds at 115 mph. It stops from 70 mph in a reasonable, if not stellar, 162 feet. Its skidpad grip, however, isn't remotely up to track-car expectations. At 0.94 g it barely out-stuck our long-term Nissan Altima, which pulled 0.93 g on its all-season tires. As we said of the Track Edition, the Fuji would benefit from even-stickier shoes than its Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, tires that we generally think highly of.
VIEW PHOTOS

Rubber aside, good performance isn't enough in this price class. Compare the Fuji's test results to those of both the aforementioned base 911 and the Camaro SS, the sticker-price bookends in this discussion. The similarly priced Porsche puts the Fuji away with a 60-mph time of 3.2 seconds, a quarter-mile blast of 11.5 seconds at 120 mph, and 1.08 g of skidpad adhesion. The Camaro with its 10-speed automatic transmission bests the Fuji's 60-mph dash by a tenth of a second, beats it in the quarter-mile with a 12.2 second, 118-mph pass, and puts a 0.96-g hold on the tarmac. What's more, there is a host of muscle coupes, sports sedans, and sports cars priced halfway between the low-end Camaro SS and the $100K Lexus that trounce the Fuji's performance, a list that includes the Ford Mustang GT500, Toyota Supra 3.0, Mercedes-AMG C63, and Chevy's Camaro ZL1 1LE and Corvette Stingray Z51, among others.

If it were somehow possible to overlook the RC F Fuji's price-value problem, it would be easy to rank the racy-looking Lexus highly among performance coupes. Its personality translates to aggression tempered with refinement. Pedal it softly around town and the naturally aspirated 5.0-liter V-8 whispers like a luxury car's engine should. Stand on the throttle and it's a lion roaring in your ear. The eight-speed automatic always shifts smoothly, though never race-car quick. The Fuji's steering is both precise and reassuringly progressive. Its handling is sure-footed; when sweeping around on-ramps it's as stable and balanced as a ballerina. Switch off the stability control and it'll dance on its rear tires, allowing you to exit slow corners in easily controlled tail-out slides. And we wish all cars this track capable rode with such suppleness and finesse. In daily use it feels not at all like a track-attack weapon but rather a sweetly responsive, high-performance luxury sports coupe.
VIEW PHOTOS

That sense is reinforced by its posh interior, which is stitched in leather and Alcantara and trimmed in red-accented carbon fiber. The handsome gauge cluster features a large, centrally located tachometer. Deeply pocketed front buckets strike a near-perfect balance between superb lateral support and road-trip comfort. There's even enough room in back to fit two average-size adults for short trips.

Lexus knows the Fuji is a hard sell. It's offering only 60 examples in the United States for the 2021 model year, so exclusivity is a given. There's also an extra enticement to buy in the form of a special MSTR Fuji Speedway Edition watch that comes with each car. But rarity and cool watches can't change the RC F Fuji's cost-benefit imbalance. For those who are thoroughly smitten with its aggressive good looks, we recommend saving a bundle and going for a standard RC F, which performed virtually as well in our testing and carries a far more palatable $67,000 base price. For anyone else looking for a ground-based two-door missile, there are other, far worthier choices—for a hundred grand and a lot less.

Specifications

2021 Lexus RC F Fuji
Vehicle Type: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 2+2-passenger, 2-door coupe

PRICE
Base/As Tested: $98,225/$103,250
Options: navigation and Mark Levinson audio, $2725; LED headlights, $1160; parking assist, $500; illuminated door sills, $450; all-weather floor mats, $170; carpet trunk mat, $120

ENGINE
DOHC 32-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, port and direct fuel injection
Displacement: 303 in3, 4969 cm3
Power: 472 hp @ 7100 rpm
Torque: 395 lb-ft @ 4800 rpm

Transmission: 8-speed automatic

CHASSIS
Suspension, F/R: control arms/multilink
Brakes, F/R: 15.0-in vented, cross-drilled, carbon-ceramic disc/13.6-in vented, cross-drilled, carbon-ceramic disc
Tires: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
F: 255/35R-19 (92Y)
R: 275/35R-19 (96Y)

DIMENSIONS
Wheelbase: 107.5 in
Length: 185.4 in
Width: 72.6 in
Height: 54.7 in
Passenger Volume: 74 ft3
Trunk Volume: 10 ft3
Curb Weight: 3839 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS
60 mph: 4.0 sec
100 mph: 9.5 sec
1/4-Mile: 12.4 sec @ 115 mph
130 mph: 16.2 sec
150 mph: 23.2 sec
Results above omit 1-ft rollout of 0.2 sec.
Rolling Start, 5–60 mph: 4.3 sec
Top Gear, 30–50 mph: 2.9 sec
Top Gear, 50–70 mph: 3.1 sec
Top Speed (mfr's claim): 168 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 162 ft
Braking, 100–0 mph: 320 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft Skidpad: 0.94 g

C/D FUEL ECONOMY
Observed: 18 mpg
75-mph Highway Driving: 26 mpg
Highway Range: 450 mi

EPA FUEL ECONOMY
Combined/City/Highway: 19/16/24 mpg

Last edited:

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
Just curious, what do you guys think about the RCF going forward? You think it’ll get discontinued, updated, etc?

I feel like with the small allocation of "Track Edition" models and very minor updates, the RC will eventually sunset.

Jeonsa

Fan
Reactions
I feel like with the small allocation of "Track Edition" models and very minor updates, the RC will eventually sunset.
Yeah I was thinking the same. With the success of the RCF GT3 I’d hope for a follow up with a better chassis but the way the landscape is looking, that’s probably not going to happen

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Yeah I was thinking the same. With the success of the RCF GT3 I’d hope for a follow up with a better chassis but the way the landscape is looking, that’s probably not going to happen
https://racer.com/2021/03/16/insight-lexus-racing-following-a-carefully-crafted-story-arc/amp/

Lexus Racing chief said he has seen the next-gen RC-F and is very excited about it. The racing car will launch in 2024 and according to him the new car will be much more suited for GT3 Racing than current RC-F, which I think means more compact and light sportscar instead of GT. He even said It's a clean-sheet design optimized for motorsport from conception.

I think this could be related to the new small-size optimized FR platform that will replace the overweight GA-N platform. The production car could arrive in 2023 with F-sport/FSP options and full F a year later with the race car.

Jeonsa

Fan
Reactions
https://racer.com/2021/03/16/insight-lexus-racing-following-a-carefully-crafted-story-arc/amp/

Lexus Racing chief said he has seen the next-gen RC-F and is very excited about it. The racing car will launch in 2024 and according to him the new car will be much more suited for GT3 Racing than current RC-F, which I think means more compact and light sportscar instead of GT. He even said It's a clean-sheet design optimized for motorsport from conception.

I think this could be related to the new small-size optimized FR platform that will replace the overweight GA-N platform. The production car could arrive in 2023 with F-sport/FSP options and full F a year later with the race car.
Now this is amazing. I appreciate the read!!

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
I am glad RCF brand will hopefully continue into the next generation especially considering how well RCF has been doing in the GT3 racing. I hope it is a TMC 100% effort and not the rumored Mazda collaboration.

Last edited:

Jeonsa

Fan
Reactions
I am glad RCF brand will hopefully continue into the next generation especially considering how well RCF has been doing in the GT3 racing. I hope it is a TMC 100% effort and not the rumored Mazda collaboration.
I agree. I’m expecting a “RC 500” of course but a F model built in house still would definitely be a must.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Lexus Enthusiast video of ride with Scott Pruett. He talks quite a bit about what he likes in the RCF. I love how Scott gets on the power so early in the turn so that the rear end rotate through the turn.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

This echos some conversations I had last week at HQ Confidential. The quote was something like, "We are always watching the market, but our goal is for IS and RC to be four-door and two-door flavors of the same formula in the future."

Jeonsa

Fan
Reactions
This echos some conversations I had last week at HQ Confidential. The quote was something like, "We are always watching the market, but our goal is for IS and RC to be four-door and two-door flavors of the same formula in the future."
The RCF definitely has a lot of room to grow and I’m glad they hinted at that. Just drove one last week and loved it’s Jekyll/Hyde like personality.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
So there is a high likelihood of next gen IS and RC?