1st Generation Lexus RC 300, 350, F and Track Edition Megathread

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I am glad they're not giving up on this car. But when you think about all the spy shots for the XC10 facelift coupe facelift since August, it shows you this has been in development for a very long time and signed off in early 2017, give or take.

The URS10 GS-F was first spotted testing in early 2013, then we saw more shots of it in late summer 2013. It wasn't until fall 2014, they were seen testing with the final design (using old headlights). It went on sale around November 2015. So it took from February 2012 launch to November 2015, to offer an F model and facelift the GS line.

Why are 10th anniversary edition RCF being called 2019MY, when it is relatively unchanged? Is this planned for MY 2020 now or what?

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
I am glad they're not giving up on this car. But when you think about all the spy shots for the XC10 facelift coupe facelift since August, it shows you this has been in development for a very long time and signed off in early 2017, give or take.

The URS10 GS-F was first spotted testing in early 2013, then we saw more shots of it in late summer 2013. It wasn't until fall 2014, they were seen testing with the final design (using old headlights). It went on sale around November 2015. So it took from February 2012 launch to November 2015, to offer an F model and facelift the GS line.

Why are 10th anniversary edition RCF being called 2019MY, when it is relatively unchanged? Is this planned for MY 2020 now or what?

Ofcourse, this is staying for a very very long time. It is an incredible masterpiece. That is why I purchased it. It has to be understood and learned over time to be truly appreciated. No complaints. It is faster than what I could ever use on city streets. I get complements everywhere all the time where people come up to me to talk about the car.

There are a limited number of 2019 anniversary editions. They have some exterior changes, a special color and some interior treatments. Mechanically, it is the same. It has special design wheels etc. Aesthetic stuff and a special matte color.

Airplane

Fan
Reactions
Anyone notice the subtle differences of the headlights and taillights between this and the other RC spyshots?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Anyone notice the subtle differences of the headlights and taillights between this and the other RC spyshots?

I assume this is because one is an RC and one is an RC F, though it's possible the RC F GT will styled differently than the standard RC F as well.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Ofcourse, this is staying for a very very long time. It is an incredible masterpiece. That is why I purchased it. It has to be understood and learned over time to be truly appreciated. No complaints. It is faster than what I could ever use on city streets. I get complements everywhere all the time where people come up to me to talk about the car.

This is exactly my experience -- for all its power, there's a lot of subtlety to the RC F. I still believe the weight that everyone complains about is one of the reasons I felt so comfortable being more aggressive on the track. In ways I don't quite understand, it smoothes out my inputs and makes corners more predictable.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
This is exactly my experience -- for all its power, there's a lot of subtlety to the RC F. I still believe the weight that everyone complains about is one of the reasons I felt so comfortable being more aggressive on the track. In ways I don't quite understand, it smoothes out my inputs and makes corners more predictable.

Very true. I have learned to expect it has two different personalities. I am perfectly fine with it feeling sort of "muted" when I drive in traffic or while staying under 60 km/h etc. knowing that it has a completely different side, which I can enjoy anytime at the right place. Once you push it over 5500 rpm in sport+/manual mode and track TVD mode, everything including steering speed and direct feel, throttle response, transmission shifts etc. change. The chassis/suspension are well tuned for a balance between street and track. It shrinks around the driver when you push it hard through a series of esses at high revs. Especially with the TVD in track mode, it is hyper-responsive when it engine is kept in high revs through tight turns.

I also enjoy coasting in it with wife and daughter since it still reminds you all the time (especially with the engine noise) that there is another side to it.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
I don't think anyone is saying that. It will be more of a black series or the GTS equivalent of F sports cars. For the RCF, the racing slick available is Michelin Pilot Cup 2 tires. This RCF is wearing Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, which are more aggressive than the stock Super Sport my RCF came with, but less so than the Cup series tires. Overall, the stickiest barely street legal slick tires are Michelin Pilot Cup 2 R or Pirelli Corsa Trofeo R.

this makes sense. I think I jumped to conclusions without thinking that the concept would be a production car. That lightening lap was in 2016. Nevertheless, the RCF GT looks great and I think its a fantastic idea. Any idea when it might get to production?

BTW: I think you mean Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, rather than Pilot Cup 2.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Any idea when it might get to production?

This doesn't answer your question, but I would expect it to debut alongside the updated RC. Would imagine it some time in the upcoming auto show season.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions

In the Garage section I posted an article explaining how weight affects handling and ride quality. It kind of explains why the RC-F and R35 GT-R can be so competitive on tracks despite their weight.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/forums/...ehicle-weight-ride-quality-and-handling.4393/

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
A lot of people don't realize, some of the extra weight is to achieve more chassis rigidity as it came from the IS-C middle section, which had additional reinforcements for the convertible. Almost all of the mass is close to the middle of the car because the roof line is very low, which gives it a near perfectly chassis balanced 53/47 weight balance.

Besides, almost all of the cars besides the M4, weigh between 3880 - 4000 lbs. RS5, C63, Giulia, Mustang GT and even cars in a different class like the Q60 red sport, C43 AMG or the Stinger GT2 both weigh similar to RCF.

In the Garage section I posted an article explaining how weight affects handling and ride quality. It kind of explains why the RC-F and R35 GT-R can be so competitive on tracks despite their weight.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/forums/...ehicle-weight-ride-quality-and-handling.4393/

Last edited:

Airplane

Fan
Reactions
A lot of people don't realize, some of the extra weight is to achieve more chassis rigidity as it came from the IS-C middle section, which had additional reinforcements for the convertible. Almost all of the mass is close to the middle of the car because the roof line is very low, which gives it a near perfectly chassis balanced 53/47 weight balance.

Besides, almost all of the cars besides the M4, weigh between 3880 - 4000 lbs. RS5, C63, Giulia, Mustang GT and even cars in a different class like the Q60 red sport, C43 AMG or the Stinger GT2 both weigh similar to RCF.
Yes, but TMC should give consumers more choices as well, and this GT is a sign they are on the right track.
Regarding weight balance, a 47/53 ratio would be better than 53/47 for the RCF, but for a frankenstein of a car the RCF is well engineered.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Yes, but TMC should give consumers more choices as well, and this GT is a sign they are on the right track.
Regarding weight balance, a 47/53 ratio would be better than 53/47 for the RCF, but for a frankenstein of a car the RCF is well engineered.

Yes, I stated above, having a track-oriented hardcore RCF keeps the RCF relevant. BTW, 53/47 is pretty close to perfect balance as much as an FR car with big V8 can get. 52/48 probably might the closest. You would either need front or rear mid-engine layout to get a more rear-bias like a 47/53.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew

Rendered: The Production Lexus RC F GT Coupe
18-07-31-lexus-rc-f-gt-rendering-hero.jpg

New headlights, new bumper, cool grille.
View the original article post

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Probably accurate for the most part based on the spy shots, at least in terms of the shapes of the lighting. The front vents seem to be way to small, making it look awkward...

zeusus

Follower
Reactions

I hope that render doesnt make the showrooms, its not nearly as aggressive as the market expects it to be.

The name likely won't change but I wish it were more sinister, RCF GTR, or maybe GR for Gazoo Racing.

And those headlights, I don't know its a step down from standard RCF, I was instantly reminded of the FRS headlights.

Fingers crossed for better execution.

scion-frs-1.jpg

Last edited:

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I see that just about everyone here is less than thrilled with this rendering of the RC midlife facelift/refresh. I'll stick my neck out and be the contrarian that thinks it's an improvement over the pre-refresh LC. I've never been a fan of the separate DRL Nikeesque swoosh, and I'm hoping this rendering is accurate as far as incorporating the DRLs into the main headlight unit. I also feel that the side vents on the front bumper fascia are appropriately-sized and not oversized as on the post-facelift 3IS.

Of course, at this point we don't know how accurate that rendering is...

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
Some thoughts for LEXUS about the planned RCF GT.
1. please don't have Centerlock wheels like the 911 GT3. Some who regularly track their car want to be able to have a spare set of wheels (tires) and replace them on their own. You can't with centerlock wheels
2. don't make carbon ceramic brakes standard. they cost a lot and, while they will last a long time with regular road driving, they won't if you track your car and this will be very expensive (too expensive)
3. go with a TT V8, or at least get 55oHP and 500 TQ
4. if you have a TT (8 or 6) have a Sport Exhaust
5. Rear axle steering should be standard
6. make all of the safety items options; you don't need LKA or adaptive cruise control if you want have a lighter car to track. Do away with all that will make the car heavy
7. make the car lower to the ground, substantially lower, include front axle lift
8. I assume that a number of people will buy the car and just drive it on the street, which is fine, but have an option to do away with the excessive Lexus comfy material. The car can be comfortable without all the extra stuff that just adds weight
9. Have a sport seat option, with a carbon fiber frame if possible

make the car a lot lighter., a lot lighter. maybe do away with the rear seat (you really can't put anyone back there anyway)

I drive my 911 at many track events and the RCF is virtually nonexistent (I've seen one once). It would be nice to see Lexus produce a car that people are going to want to drive at track events. If it performs very well (i.e, as good if not better than a 911 GT3, or even a 911 GTS), then people will take notice

Just sayin!

I'm looking forward to reading about the stats for the new RCF GT. I am very curious about track performance. Heh. contact me if you want me to take it out on the track for a test drive :) :p:joy: