1st Generation Lexus RC 300, 350, F and Track Edition Megathread

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Lexus RC F GT Spied With An Assortment Of Carbon Fiber Components

Lexus RC sales are trickling off, but the company is hoping to renew interest in the model by developing a range-topping RC F GT.

Previewed by the RC F GT concept, the production model will be a track-oriented coupe that is designed to slot between the standard RC F and the RC F GT3 race car. Given this mission, the car has been equipped with an assortment of carbon fiber components including a ventilated hood, roof and side skirt extensions.

Besides the carbon fiber goodies, the RC F GT has a revised grille with updated air ducts. Other notable changes include the addition of a large rear wing, a new rear bumper and a small diffuser.

Interestingly, the car has also been equipped with a modified front bumper and new headlights. We can also see restyled mirrors which echo those used on the LC 500. These changes suggest Lexus isn’t just working on the RC F GT, but a facelift for the entire RC lineup.

Lexus hasn’t said much about the RC F GT lately, but the concept competed at the 2015 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb and weighed 800 lbs (362 kg) less than the standard model. This, unsurprisingly, was due to the extensive use of composite materials such as carbon fiber.

The familiar 5.0-liter V8 engine carried over, but it was outfitted with a high-performance exhaust system as well as improved cooling and lubrication systems. These changes allowed the engine to produce more than 467 hp (348 kW / 473 PS) and 390 lb-ft (528 Nm) of torque.

The RC F GT should also have additional changes including a retuned suspension with a sharper focus on handling. Likewise, the model could have a modified vehicle dynamics system.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/07/lexus-rc-f-gt-spied-assortment-carbon-fiber-components/

e5395500-lexus-rc-f-gt-spy-1.jpg

4f2a19e2-lexus-rc-f-gt-spy-4.jpg

788c1a38-lexus-rc-f-gt-spy-6.jpg

0c7b9fa0-lexus-rc-f-gt-spy-7.jpg

00b39540-lexus-rc-f-gt-spy-8.jpg

65628f76-lexus-rc-f-gt-spy-10.jpg

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
#waitforit :)

You've been following this car for a while!

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2016/04...ept-debuts-at-toyota-grand-prix-this-weekend/

The car appearing at Long Beach is a further development of the RC F GT Concept that Justin Bell drove to 5th place in the Time Attack class at the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb in June 2015.

Lexus Enthusiast forum administrator Mike Forsythe attended this weekend’s events, and snapped some photos of the RC F GT Concept.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
2:43.2 is incredibly fast! just the Ford GT and Porsche 918 spider are faster, and only by .2 and .1 secs. I am really impressed. The estimated price tag is high ($250,000), but actually is very very competitive (cheaper) than the top competition. Lexus will have to overcome the negative biases, but the data speak for themselves. WOW!!!!

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
It was not street legal so it did not have much of the safety equipment on it. The spyshot RCF I think, is a standard RCF (has full interior) with some suspension mods and from pictures it is clear, it has more aggressive MPS4S tires (than the stock MPSS tires my RCF has). It could possibly have more power up to 490 - 500 HP since it can be extracted very easily from this engine while complying with the emissions etc.

2:43.2 is incredibly fast! just the Ford GT and Porsche 918 spider are faster, and only by .2 and .1 secs. I am really impressed. The estimated price tag is high ($250,000), but actually is very very competitive (cheaper) than the top competition. Lexus will have to overcome the negative biases, but the data speak for themselves. WOW!!!!

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
Is it my imagination? Or can I already hear the haters;

- Doesn't matter how much it weighs or how well it handles, the v8 is still over 10 years old!
- Lexus is too fast and too performance oriented! Should stick to what they do best.
- Stop trying to copy the sporty germans!
- We don't need track focused cars, we need bigger back seats and trunk space!
- Spindle is fugly, fix that before losing 800lbs!

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
Very exciting times at lexus!!!! Things are definitely on the up and up. Better engines and engineering!!! Everybody been making a noise about the the LS and stuff and while some may be true I feel it’s better than the old.

mikeavelli

Reactions

KREW I'm really excited for this one. I think it's going to really nail the handling bit that some reviews complain about, add a coolness factor and have some surprising hardware. What is fantastic is to also see the progress the Lexus Racing USA team is making and the RC F GT3 being raced overseas. With wins in SuperGT and Toyota in Lemans this is some great momentum!

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Don't really expect it to be at supercar level performance. The weight reduction and grip gains should be much more modest than the concept.

BTW what is the best road-legal semi slicks today?

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Don't really expect it to be at supercar level performance. The weight reduction and grip gains should be much more modest than the concept.

BTW what is the best road-legal semi slicks today?

I don't think anyone is saying that. It will be more of a black series or the GTS equivalent of F sports cars. For the RCF, the racing slick available is Michelin Pilot Cup 2 tires. This RCF is wearing Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, which are more aggressive than the stock Super Sport my RCF came with, but less so than the Cup series tires. Overall, the stickiest barely street legal slick tires are Michelin Pilot Cup 2 R or Pirelli Corsa Trofeo R.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
I don't think anyone is saying that. It will be more of a black series or the GTS equivalent of F sports cars. For the RCF, the racing slick available is Michelin Pilot Cup 2 tires. This RCF is wearing Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, which are more aggressive than the stock Super Sport my RCF came with, but less so than the Cup series tires. Overall, the stickiest barely street legal slick tires are Michelin Pilot Cup 2 R or Pirelli Corsa Trofeo R.

Yeah... you do not want Trofeos on your car unless you have the trailer waiting for you to take the car back home once it starts raining. You really have to nurse the throttle once road becomes wet, I've ended up in another lane by just pressing the throttle like if it was dry pavement and I was uphill to make matters even worse. I've craped my pants cause I've never thought something like this could happen.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Yeah... you do not want Trofeos on your car unless you have the trailer waiting for you to take the car back home once it starts raining. You really have to nurse the throttle once road becomes wet, I've ended up in another lane by just pressing the throttle like if it was dry pavement and I was uphill to make matters even worse. I've craped my pants cause I've never thought something like this could happen.

I won't get the Pilot Cup 2 on my RCF since they are too extreme for mostly street driving. I have seen amazing reviews of the Pilot Sport 4S. They are the best street tires. I hate my stock RCF Super Sport as Lexus fitted it with touring version (softer version for daily drivability). Pilot Sport 4S only are available in XL version with reinforced sidewalls so cannot wait to put those on.