1st Generation Lexus RC 300, 350, F and Track Edition Megathread

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
Well I’ve really fallen for the Track Edition/Fuji Speedway Edition. Now that I’ve driven them pretty extensively it has that soul and flavor sorely missing from many cars. I fail to understand how the media and internet fans love to give props to euro cars for their flaws yet bash anything from Lexus or USA with them.
It feels lighter on its feet, the brakes are amazing, the different interior touches are nice and the car’s exterior is just dope (to me).

After meeting with some Lexus executives, valet pulls the car up and says “I love what you did with the car”. I explained it’s stock and the guy was floored.

Then knowing there is only 50 or 60 of them just adds to the flavor.

So I gotta figure this out because I want one lol.
View attachment 4795

I like the idea of the Track Edition/Fuji Edition and the exclusivity...but it should have had a power upgrade and different tranny logic to differentiate it from my 2020 RC F. $25k worth of carbon fiber, carbon ceramic brakes and some decontenting to make it lighter isn't worth it to me. If i'm going to spend 100k on a coupe, i'll look at the LC 500...or even a Porsche. :) But that just me.

Jeonsa

Fan
Reactions
Well I’ve really fallen for the Track Edition/Fuji Speedway Edition. Now that I’ve driven them pretty extensively it has that soul and flavor sorely missing from many cars. I fail to understand how the media and internet fans love to give props to euro cars for their flaws yet bash anything from Lexus or USA with them.
It feels lighter on its feet, the brakes are amazing, the different interior touches are nice and the car’s exterior is just dope (to me).

After meeting with some Lexus executives, valet pulls the car up and says “I love what you did with the car”. I explained it’s stock and the guy was floored.

Then knowing there is only 50 or 60 of them just adds to the flavor.

So I gotta figure this out because I want one lol.
View attachment 4795
I didn’t think much about the Track Edition until I saw your video. Made me fall in love with the car all over again.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Not a good review, but oh well. Looks like with that stiffer rebound in sport+, Lexus made the TE for smooth tracks. That Toronto Motorsport track is old and bumpy, Still, not bad as it ran basically the same as the M2 comp.

Last edited:

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
It’s weird how some reviewers can see the charm in it and others just look at the numbers aspect. I see a lot of “who would get this over the M2/M4 for the money?” Not everyone wants to buy an expensive car that breaks.

I think Lexus made the RCF for a very specific type of customer (like myself) rather than for people who let numbers guide their decisions, People who want the unique formula in its class. Typical high quality/reliability + that masterpiece high-revving V8 + luxury/4 seats + capable track/sporty performance. TE builds on the same formula.

Last edited:
Reactions
It’s weird how some reviewers can see the charm in it and others just look at the numbers aspect. I see a lot of “who would get this over the M2/M4 for the money?” Not everyone wants to buy an expensive car that breaks.
At this price point, enthusiast buyers here in this segment put a premium on a car's performance more than reliability. I wouldn't assume that every M2-3-4 sold will spend most of their time in the service bay nowadays. Again, the TE is for an even more niche buyer than the regular RC F that has no qualms paying the extra $30K.

Jeonsa

Fan
Reactions
At this price point, enthusiast buyers here in this segment put a premium on a car's performance more than reliability. I wouldn't assume that every M2-3-4 sold will spend most of their time in the service bay nowadays. Again, the TE is for an even more niche buyer than the regular RC F that has no qualms paying the extra $30K.
Yeah that’s true, just interesting to watch the community react to things. I’ve always looked at the TE as a limited edition version of a Seiko. You could easily buy the regular model but with the LE comes with uniqueness and limited availability in a way. The F weave on the wing is art in itself. Haha

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions

It matters to people who don't lease/return after the term and want to keep their cars longer term. Another thing that never gets talked about, it feeds in the resale value of the car. For example, repair is very expensive outside of warranty. For example, if my TVD malfunctions and needs to be replaced, it is extremely expensive, but it is a Lexus after all. Here where I live, RCFs have been holding their values very well in the used market especially the low mileage, mint condition ones. Both rarity and the reliability/quality factors into that.

Reactions
Yeah that’s true, just interesting to watch the community react to things. I’ve always looked at the TE as a limited edition version of a Seiko. You could easily buy the regular model but with the LE comes with uniqueness and limited availability in a way. The F weave on the wing is art in itself. Haha
Definitely it all comes down to the buyer and what they value...like it has been mentioned by others, spending $100K I'd be looking at LCs and other cars like Cayman GT4s.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Definitely it all comes down to the buyer and what they value...like it has been mentioned by others, spending $100K I'd be looking at LCs and other cars like Cayman GT4s.

LC500, RCF and GT4 all don't compete in the same space. There are some big differences in these three examples. For example, GT4 is a far more hardcore 2-seater purpose-built track car than the TE etc. Again, I speak as an owner. It will depend on what the buyer is willing to give up for what that buyer gets for $100K.

Last edited:
Reactions
LC500, RCF and GT4 all don't compete in the same space. There are some big differences in these three examples. Again, I speak as an owner. It will depend on what the buyer is willing to give up for what that buyer gets for $100K.
Obviously they don't but at that price point, I've always felt that selling a luxury performance vehicle with the virtues of a Camry or Corolla is a harder sell to a buyer base that values performance and isn't trying to be frugal with their wealth and/or emotionally attached to the car for a long time. The RC F doesn't have a Roundel, and sadly badges do matter to certain but shallow buyers. But like other F cars, they get better as they age.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
The RC F doesn't have a Roundel, and sadly badges do matter to certain but shallow buyers. But like other F cars, they get better as they age.

True. It does have the presence, though. Attracts attention and praises everywhere on the streets. Looks like an ISF is also coming with the 2UR (rumor has it).

Jeonsa

Fan
Reactions
Obviously they don't but at that price point, I've always felt that selling a luxury performance vehicle with the virtues of a Camry or Corolla is a harder sell to a buyer base that values performance and isn't trying to be frugal with their wealth and/or emotionally attached to the car for a long time. The RC F doesn't have a Roundel, and sadly badges do matter to certain but shallow buyers. But like other F cars, they get better as they age.
The point you made about badges is something that I never really thought of. It’s true though. If you were to ask any non car person what a luxury car is you would probably get the German big 3 for the most part.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Not a good review, but oh well. Looks like with that stiffer rebound in sport+, Lexus made the TE for smooth tracks. That Toronto Motorsport track is old and bumpy, Still, not bad as it ran basically the same as the M2 comp.

They don’t get it. I actually watched and they missed a giant point, This is not a M4 competitor the normal RC F is. This is a M4 GTS competitor and it’s much cheaper than that was.

I do wish the car came with sport cups. I think it would help tighten things up. I’m also unsure what mode it was in when he was complaining about sliding the car.

It is so funny to see European reviews, the standard, love the RC F yet the USA and Canadian press does not.
Oh well. I still want it.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
They don’t get it. I actually watched and they missed a giant point, This is not a M4 competitor the normal RC F is. This is a M4 GTS competitor and it’s much cheaper than that was.

I do wish the car came with sport cups. I think it would help tighten things up. I’m also unsure what mode it was in when he was complaining about sliding the car.

It is so funny to see European reviews, the standard, love the RC F yet the USA and Canadian press does not.
Oh well. I still want it.

Agreed. not sure why they kept comparing it to the tiny M2 CS and M2 competition. It has basically no trunk and tiny back seats. Definitely TE needed to have Cup 2 tires on it to put the power down properly. Also, that Toronto race track is very old and bumpy so it needs softer suspension setup, which the other cars they drove seem to have.

The 'Straight Pipes' review was quite good. I think those guys were more fair in their assessment vs the M3 than these guys. The hot lap driver in 'Throttle House' is an M3 owner so maybe, that might have something to do with it.

It did not sit well with me when he says "RCF is slower than the M2 competition and slower than the A91 Supra, but only a tiny bit quicker than the Model 3 Performance". Look at the difference in their lap times. RCF was almost identical to M2 competition only 1/10th apart while the Model 3 Performance was several tenths slower. So it is only tiny bit quicker than something by several tenths, but slower than something that was only 1/10th quicker? It sounded very skewed.

Last edited:

MichaelL

Follower
Reactions
Agreed. not sure why they kept comparing it to the tiny M2 CS and M2 competition. It has basically no trunk and tiny back seats. Definitely TE needed to have Cup 2 tires on it to put the power down properly. Also, that Toronto race track is very old and bumpy so it needs softer suspension setup, which the other cars they drove seem to have.

The 'Straight Pipes' review was quite good. I think those guys were more fair in their assessment vs the M3 than these guys. The hot lap driver in 'Throttle House' is an M3 owner so maybe, that might have something to do with it.

It did not sit well with me when he says "RCF is slower than the M2 competition and slower than the A91 Supra, but only a tiny bit quicker than the Model 3 Performance". Look at the difference in their lap times. RCF was almost identical to M2 competition only 1/10th apart while the Model 3 Performance was several tenths slower. So it is only tiny bit quicker than something by several tenths, but slower than something that was only 1/10th quicker? It sounded very skewed.

No trunk and tiny back seats in the M2? Have you sat in one? I get you are a big fan of the RCF, but don’t mislead people. I have a 228i, same car as the M2 minus the upgrades, the back seat has more space than the RC. How do I know? I sat in the back seat in the RC and my car many times, it is bigger and more comfortable in the 2 series. Trunk isn’t tiny either, I think it is 13 cubic feet. Tiny is sub 8 IMO. RC has 10 cubic feet....

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
No trunk and tiny back seats in the M2? Have you sat in one? I get you are a big fan of the RCF, but don’t mislead people. I have a 228i, same car as the M2 minus the upgrades, the back seat has more space than the RC. How do I know? I sat in the back seat in the RC and my car many times, it is bigger and more comfortable in the 2 series. Trunk isn’t tiny either, I think it is 13 cubic feet. Tiny is sub 8 IMO. RC has 10 cubic feet....

RCF trunk is huge for a coupe. I fit in a travel system big size stroller, diaper bags and a bunch of other bags all at the time same time and we have no split folding seat in the rear due to the 10-point chassis brace. You are calling me a fanboi, but I can back up everything I am saying. If you want proof, just let me know and I will put all of that on the weekend and show you a picture. You do the same. Are you up for it?

Let me see a picture of you fitting some big items like that in your 2 series. I know you are reciting the specs, but they sound very suspicious. I have seen it in real life and it looks small. Definitely, decent for the car's very small size. Regarding back seat, the front seat moves all the way back where there is no leg room. Case in point, it depends on how much the front is being moved back. For an average size guy like me, 5'10" and 175 lbs I can comfortably sit behind myself with about 2 - 3 inches of spare leg room.

This picture has me highly suspicious of how deep the M2 trunk is and it does not match up with the numbers.

Last edited:

MichaelL

Follower
Reactions
RCF trunk is huge for a coupe. I fit in a travel system big size stroller, diaper bags and a bunch of other bags all at the time same time and we have no split folding seat in the rear due to the 10-point chassis brace. You are calling me a fanboi, but I can back up everything I am saying. If you want proof, just let me know and I will put all of that on the weekend and show you a picture. You do the same. Are you up for it?

Let me see a picture of you fitting some big items like that in your 2 series. I know you are reciting the specs, but they sound very suspicious. I have seen it in real life and it looks tiny. Regarding back seat, the front seat moves all the way back where there is no leg room. Case in point, it depends on how much the front is being moved back. For an average size guy like me, 5'10" and 175 lbs I can comfortably sit behind myself with about 2 - 3 inches of spare leg room.

This picture has me highly suspicious of how deep the M2 trunk is and it does not match up with the numbers.

Up for what? I gave you facts, I am not here to argue. Look at the specs, you don’t like the specs so you chose not to believe them. That is fine. I have other things to do on the weekend... I don’t need to put items in and take a photo, that is what specs are for. I didn’t call you a Fanboi? I said I get you are a fan of the car, no problem, just don’t make things up. I am 6 feet, 180 pounds, I sat in both. Sounds like you haven’t....