1st Generation Lexus RC 300, 350, F and Track Edition Megathread

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
It was significantly slower than the C63s Coupe though 😬

Read the fine print in the C63 S AMG lap time. The C63 S coupe was provided with Michelin Pilot Cup 2 tires, which are barely street legal competition slick tires. The RCF was on MPS4S street tires. Michein itself advertises a 3% average improvement per lap using Cup 2 tires over street summer performance tires. Bottom line, if the RCF was running Cup 2 tires like the AMG was, it would have been significantly below 3:00 using the standard 3% improvement benchmark in lap times. The Giulia Quadrafolio was the same story as it came with the optional Pirelli Corsa slick racing tires.

Last edited:

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
I am glad he prefers the TVD in the carbon fiber RCF over the LSD in the track edition RCF despite the lighter front end of the track edition. I absolutely cannot praise the TVD enough especially driving on slow speed and tight turns in slalom mode. It makes the front end moves so quickly with minimal steering inputs. The difference in normal mode vs slalom mode is like night/day.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
I think the biggest change would be departure of the high-revving V8 and being replaced by a low-end torque focused twin turbo V6. It will up the game as far as numbers go. I will keep my RCF for that masterpiece engine for its revs/sound/response.

Having driven the RCF for two years and also having read up technical documents, the chassis/suspension is absolutely brilliant for a premium compact sport coupe. Lexus essentially first started with building a convertible chassis by adding all of the reinforcements and braces (in trunk, underbody, doors, door sils, engine compartment) and then welded a roof on top of it. It ended up giving an exceptionally rigid platform. Yaguchi san wanted to remove the roof for a convertible without any added weight penalty (Lexus dropped the idea later on). Lexus initial documents said, it was 40% more rigid than the IS350 F-Sport and 60% more than the GS350.

The extra torsional rigidity is felt everywhere. It gives a very solid and coherent feel to the whole car. Tight turns, high speed stability, angled entry, bumpy roads etc. The downside was of course, all of that extra bracing adds weight, which contributed to much criticized 3950 lbs weight. Also, the sense of speed is masked because of the exceptional stability. On highways, you need to look at the speedo to see how fast you are accelerating. Opening the doors and the weight of the door is felt. I mean, the doors are heavy as hell. Tthe penalty of those big beams running through the sils and door panels becomes apparent.

Hopefully makes a next gen RC or entry level coupe on Tnga platform.

Last edited:
Reactions
I think the biggest change would be departure of the high-revving V8 and being replaced by a low-end torque focused twin turbo V6. It will up the game as far as numbers go. I will keep my RCF for that masterpiece engine for its revs/sound/response.

Having driven the RCF for two years and also having read up technical documents, the chassis/suspension is absolutely brilliant for a premium compact sport coupe. Lexus essentially first started with building a convertible chassis by adding all of the reinforcements and braces (in trunk, underbody, doors, door sils, engine compartment) and then welded a roof on top of it. It ended up giving an exceptionally rigid platform. Yaguchi san wanted to remove the roof for a convertible without any added weight penalty (Lexus dropped the idea later on). Lexus initial documents said, it was 40% more rigid than the IS350 F-Sport and 60% more than the GS350.

The extra torsional rigidity is felt everywhere. It gives a very solid and coherent feel to the whole car. Tight turns, high speed stability, angled entry, bumpy roads etc. The downside was of course, all of that extra bracing adds weight, which contributed to much criticized 3950 lbs weight. Also, the sense of speed is masked because of the exceptional stability. On highways, you need to look at the speedo to see how fast you are accelerating. Opening the doors and the weight of the door is felt. I mean, the doors are heavy as hell. Tthe penalty of those big beams running through the sils and door panels becomes apparent.
I hope Lexus keeps a V8 for the RCF replacement. A detuned twin turbo V8 from the LCF with 500 plus hp. Will make it stand out from the competitors in the future.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Even twin turbo V8s seem to be on the chopping block due to stringent Euro emissions standards. I have heard, AMG might be chopping their twin turbo V8s from the C63 in the next gen. I heard it will be similar to the E53 turbo inline-6 with hybrid electric motor.

I hope Lexus keeps a V8 for the RCF replacement. A detuned twin turbo V8 from the LCF with 500 plus hp. Will make it stand out from the competitors in the future.

Reactions
Even twin turbo V8s seem to be on the chopping block due to stringent Euro emissions standards. I have heard, AMG might be chopping their twin turbo V8s from the C63 in the next gen. I heard it will be similar to the E53 turbo inline-6 with hybrid electric motor.
It’s a shame really. When do you think the Lexus LCF debuts? I can’t wait to see it. I was hoping that they debut it this year at Tokyo auto show.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Yeah, did not know that. I think the debut will definitely be next year in 2020. Could it be Detroit auto show? Very possible. Keep in mind, LFA (concept v2), ISF, RCF all debuted in Detroit at NAIA show.

Did you mean Tokyo Auto Salon 2020, Japan's version of the SEMA or Essen "tuner" shows? The Tokyo Motor Show is every other year, and there won't be another one until 2021.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Yeah, did not know that. I think the debut will definitely be next year in 2020. Could it be Detroit auto show? Very possible. Keep in mind, LFA (concept v2), ISF, RCF all debuted in Detroit at NAIA show.
Yes, but 2020 is the first year that the Detroit Auto Show will move from its traditional January slot to June. Will that work for or against it? Hard to say at this point...

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Objectively, RCF performed well. Here are the lap times. I have not read the full detail subjective opinions, but they did not place both the Supra or RCF high. They did not feel Supra was a rewarding car at the limit. They said RCF was overly stiff and not refined enough. It exhibits some on-limit understeer despite the lightened front end. I guess, they should have kept the TVD.

I believe, Supra was eliminated first, M2 Competition next and then the RCF was third to be eliminated.

Veloster won the overall performance car of the year.

Mazda Miata RF 1:34.64

Hyundai Veloster N 1:31.44

Toyota Supra 1:28.93

Lexus RC F Track 1:27.56

BMW M2 Competition 1:26.91

Lotus Evora GT 1:25.35

Nissan GT-R Nismo 1:23.80

Porsche 911 Carrera S 1:23.08

Chevrolet Corvette 1:22.83

McLaren 600LT 1:20.42

Lamborghini Huracán Evo 1:20.00

Motor

Expert
Reactions
The 2020 Lexus RC F Track Edition Is More Cruise Than Missile
But if you decide all that carbon fiber is something you can’t live without, I think you’ll find ways to overlook the RC F Track Edition’s flaws and learn to embrace what it does well. Who needs turbos anyway?

+
Good NA V8, unique character, great ride

-
Not mind-blowing for the price

TL;DR
Not a track weapon, but pretty special anyway

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Considering they called LFA the worst halo car a few years back, I knew as soon as I saw Jalopnik.

They claim RCF is not a track weapon yet, they have no objective data to back it up. 0-60 mph in 3.9 seconds is not that quick according to them. They hate its styling and claim women look in disdain LOL They criticize the RCF weight compared to AMG and M, yet the C63 S AMG is significantly heavier than any RCF variant. The RCF track edition is not a M4 CS rival, but an M4 competition rival (pricing wise). Also, the Supra was never designed to be a pure track car either (Randy Pobst said it), yet they claim it is.

Last edited:
Reactions
Considering they called LFA the worst halo car a few years back, I knew as soon as I saw Jalopnik.

They claim RCF is not a track weapon yet, they have no objective data to back it up. 0-60 mph in 3.9 seconds is not that quick according to them. They hate its styling and claim women look in disdain LOL They criticize the RCF weight compared to AMG and M, yet the C63 S AMG is significantly heavier than any RCF variant. The RCF track edition is not a M4 CS rival, but an M4 competition rival (pricing wise). Also, the Supra was never designed to be a pure track car either (Randy Pobst said it), yet they claim it is.

I'll give you that Jalopnik are the sh*ttiest form of media ever, however, the C63S spanked the RC F Track Edition at Lightning Lap this year. C&D have been extremely unbiased over the past year or so. The other thing is, this review seemed to be generally chilled.

And the Supra was designed to be made as a pure sports car (not a GT) that's meant to rip around the track while being a good car overall.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
I wrote earlier about the lightning lap. The C63S was on Cup 2 R compound tires white the RCF was on PS4S Street tires. Big difference. Michelin itself advertised a 3% per lap difference. Case in point, RCF would have been much quicker with the same tires everything else remaining the same.

Regarding the Supra, to give credit it is no doubt small, lighter and agile, but Randy Post said it does not have the balance and dynamics of a pure sports car regardless.

I'll give you that Jalopnik are the sh*ttiest form of media ever, however, the C63S spanked the RC F Track Edition at Lightning Lap this year. C&D have been extremely unbiased over the past year or so. The other thing is, this review seemed to be generally chilled.

And the Supra was designed to be made as a pure sports car (not a GT) that's meant to rip around the track while being a good car overall.

Last edited: