1st Generation Lexus RC 300, 350, F and Track Edition Megathread

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Besides cornering, won't TV actual help with just about any maneuvering that requires non-straightline movements as long as we are stepping on the accelerator pedal?

I'm talking about responsible driving but close encounters such as:
  1. lane changes because someone decided to cut you off
  2. hydroplanning when only two or three wheels have good grip

Any other situations where TV will kick in besides cornering/turns at fast enough speed?

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
That is correct. It really does. You can feel it compared to say, normal mode in terms of steering input response as long as you have slightly are feeding in some power. Also, if you hard brake and turn, the TVD will also rotate the car more aggressively even when you don't have foot on the throttle.

TVD will start to step the tail out in high G sustained turns as well. Your nose will start to tuck in harder as the tail slightly starts to step out. If you take off in 1st gear followed by do a 90 degree turn taking the turn at around 4500 - 5000 rpm and stab the throttle mid-corner, the tail will kick out pretty easily.

Besides cornering, won't TV actual help with just about any maneuvering that requires non-straightline movements as long as we are stepping on the accelerator pedal?

I'm talking about responsible driving but close encounters such as:
  1. lane changes because someone decided to cut you off
  2. hydroplanning when only two or three wheels have good grip

Any other situations where TV will kick in besides cornering/turns at fast enough speed?

mikeavelli

Reactions
Now that initial hype has passed, it seems mark ups are going away on the Track Edition and now its at MSRP.... there are still a few around....

The more I read and look at it the more I like it, especially the only 50 part...

Reactions
Now that initial hype has passed, it seems mark ups are going away on the Track Edition and now its at MSRP.... there are still a few around....

The more I read and look at it the more I like it, especially the only 50 part...
And Supras still have markups, go figure

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
The BMW recall for weld flaws did not help either.

So the new Supra already has a recall? Or the Z4 does and people are assuming it affects both?

Maybe next time Toyota won't rebadge a competitor (with fundamentally different company culture and priorities) and call it a day with one of their most iconic nameplates.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
BMW is recalling Supras. It is because of shoddy welds making structure prone to failure. The inspection will be done by Toyota, but the recall is issued by BMW as BMW in Austria build the Supras. Now here is the interesting thing, the issue cannot be fixed as they are frame welds. Essentially, someone with a Supra with weld issues will get a brand new replacement Supra.

So the new Supra already has a recall? Or the Z4 does and people are assuming it affects both?

Maybe next time Toyota won't rebadge a competitor (with fundamentally different company culture and priorities) and call it a day with one of their most iconic nameplates.

mikeavelli

Reactions
That's true, but you expect unfixable frame weld problems to be from boutique manufacturers and one-offs, not BMW.

I seems to be something with the seatbelt harness correct? Not like the entire frame is shifting. We all probably expected some issues but this is IMO very minor being 7 cars.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
My RCF has had zero problems in over 2 years of ownership. The HPFP recall was a simple ECU reflash and the other was a 1 hour replacement. Structural flaw in the frame (the welds were not done correctly) is a totally different story.

I seems to be something with the seatbelt harness correct? Not like the entire frame is shifting. We all probably expected some issues but this is IMO very minor being 7 cars.

It is only 7 Supras thus far and they are checking the rest. But the internet made it seem like its all Supras. And the RC F has had recalls too.

Part of the game.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
The more time I spend here on Lexus Enthusiast and some time on Acurazine, the more I know I want torque vectoring in my next car.

When Alex on Autos reviewed the 2017 GS-F, he mentioned that he can feel the torque vectoring when driving around corners or on windy roads, even when not driving at crazy speed. He says torque vectoring is more pronounced on Lexus with TVD (and he likes it) than even the previous gen M5 I believe.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
TVD is amazing. It was originally developed for the RCF and with a shorter wheelbase and a bit more rigidity, it really makes it hyper responsive even at slow speeds on city roads especially in 'slalom' mode. It makes driving a lot more fun than 'normal' mode where it splits 50/50 at times.

The track edition only comes with the LSD, but Lexus reasoning for that is that a lot of the weight reduction was on the front of the car so it is closer to 50/50 front/rear balance than the carbon/TVD RCF so it does not need it. Although, I personally think it would have been better.

The more time I spend here on Lexus Enthusiast and some time on Acurazine, the more I know I want torque vectoring in my next car.

When Alex on Autos reviewed the 2017 GS-F, he mentioned that he can feel the torque vectoring when driving around corners or on windy roads, even when not driving at crazy speed. He says torque vectoring is more pronounced on Lexus with TVD (and he likes it) than even the previous gen M5 I believe.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Thanks for posting. Good lap time, but was expecting a 3:00 - 3:01 for the RCF track edition. 3:02 is still not bad especially with the normal PS4S tires. With sticky Cup 2 tires, it could have dipped below 3:00 easily.
It was significantly slower than the C63s Coupe though 😬