2020 BMW 7 Series Gets Substantial Refresh, Power Bump, New PHEV model

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
DwWHDtwWkAAjcSj.jpg:large

DwQKqE6VAAA2Elu.jpg:large

I didn't mind the first pic, even though the new grill is definitely much larger. Moving onto the second, look how large the grill and headlights are in relation to what is probably at least a 19" wheel... It looks fairly cartoonish IMO.

Definitely a lot of similarity with the new X7 though, that's for sure.

New S class coming soon, A8 just launched and a heavily refreshed 7er... a good bit happening in the flagship class right now.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
The huge front end makes it look (probably intentionally) more like a lowered CUV than a big sedan. I guess that's one way to try and compete amidst the *UV craze.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
looks chinese, and I guess that is likely #1 market for them... those creases in the bottom bumper that are finished with chrome strip particularly show asian design... quite interesting, lets see the owner feedback.

Nice top pic with different bumper looks fine, as you can expect with new grille.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I never expected the BMW dual kidney grille to hit such monstrous proportions, nor to use such an elaborate combination of horizontal bars. I never thought I'd say this, but between this and the latest Audi crossover/SUV grilles, even the most overwrought of Lexus' predator spindle grilles look downright attractive!

Reactions
I was searching Jalopnik if they wrote an article based off the European reveal of the Supra and I saw the new 7 series. What I immediately did WAS SCREAM. And what is it with y'all beating me to articles. XD

Okay now its outta my being, what in the hell is with that design. Utter, utter sh*t!

I will literally fight every "car enthusiast" jerk who thinks ANY design language is worse than this monstrosity. Good god now something like the RX look genuinely beautiful (and the non-F-Sport RX is my least favourite of Lexus' design language).

^^ Watch the braindead Jalopnik fans still beat down Lexus.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
2020-bmw-7-series-1.jpg

2020-bmw-7-series-1.jpg

I still don't understand why unibrow tail lights are coming back, but the rear end looks nice overall.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Yeah, it's typically understated for the most part, and I see few bits lifted from the 5LS here and there, but it's definitely its own car. What on earth is going on with that gas filler door though?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
While the front end seems large - maybe too large - I do want to wait to see the final press pictures because I think this does give the 7er some of the presence it has lacked for a long time.

BMW hasn't really been able to get the 7er "right" since the late 90s and it has always lived in the shadow of the S Class. At the same time, Lexus has made some significant strategy changes to the direction of the LS, and the new A8 is just as bland as boring as ever. Then you have the Model S, though it's getting old now. There's a lot of change and it seems like everyone is fighting for the S Class's leftovers... it'll be interesting to see where the pieces fall over the next few years.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
2020-bmw-7-series-1.jpg

2020-bmw-7-series-1.jpg

2020-bmw-7-series-1.jpg

2020-bmw-7-series-1.jpg

2020-bmw-7-series-1.jpg

2020-bmw-7-series-1.jpg

2020-bmw-7-series-1.jpg

2020-bmw-7-series-1.jpg

Need another sign SUVs are calling the shots these days? BMW's 7 Series flagship sedan is adopting design cues from the brand-new X7, BMW's massive three-row sport utility vehicle. BMW unveiled the refreshed 2020 7 Series with numerous design changes, an upgraded V8 powertrain, and a new six-cylinder PHEV, among several upgrades throughout the car. And yes, it has a big nose.

The most notable and outward shift is the adoption of a larger kidney grille, 40 percent bigger to be exact, according to BMW. It strongly resembles the big-dog X7's front fascia, a design certain people thought was even too big for an SUV. Now it's on a sedan, although BMW does say the front end is two inches taller at its highest point compared to the 2019 model.

More important, the 7 Series receives major changes to its powertrain lineup. In addition to improvements to the eight-speed automatic transmission and the xDrive all-wheel-drive system, the 7 Series lineup becomes more powerful and more eco-friendly.

For 2020, BMW is ditching the turbocharged inline-four in its 740e xDrive PHEV in favor of a plug-in hybrid powertrain that uses a 280-horsepower inline six-cylinder mill. That is paired with an electric motor that makes 113 horsepower and 195 lb-ft of torque. Now called the 745e xDrive, it will make a total of 389 horsepower and 442 lb-ft of torque in sport mode, good enough for a claimed 0-60 sprint of 4.9 seconds (the outgoing model made 322 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque, and ran 0-60 in 5.1 seconds).

BMW says the 745e will have an improved lithium-ion battery pack with a 12.0 kWh (10.4 kWh net) capacity compared to the old model's 9.2 kWh. BMW did not yet mention how far the 745e could travel on electric-only power.

The V8 powertrain is also getting an upgrade. In the 2020 750i xDrive, the overhauled twin-turbocharged V8 will now make 80 more horsepower than the outgoing model, up to 523 between 5,500 and 6,000 rpm. Torque is increased by 74 lb-ft, up to 553 lb-ft between 1,800 and 4,600 rpm. BMW claims it can sprint from zero to 60 in 3.9 seconds. Other powertrain options include the 335-horsepower turbocharged inline-six in 740i models, and the granddaddy 600-horsepower twin-turbocharged V12 on the M760i. This announcement made no mention of the Alpina model.

The kidney grille isn't the only design nip on the 2020 7 Series. Although the car as a whole looks similar, subtle changes keep it current and up-to-date. The headlights have been redesigned with a slimmer profile, and BMW's Laserlight will be available as an option above the standard LEDs. The hood has been redesigned with slightly more aggressive lines, the side mirrors have been tweaked, the front bumper now has "air deflectors" on the air intakes to funnel cooling to the brakes, and the side "Air Breathers" have bigger air outlets.

The rear underwent similar alterations. The tailpipes are wider, the taillights are slimmer, and the 2020 7 Series now has a light bar that stretches across the tail. Completing the look, 740i and 745e models will sit on standard 18-inch wheels, 750i models have standard 19-inch wheels, and the M760i will have 20-inch wheels as standard.

Inside, not much is different, as most of the changes come via updated technology and improved ride quality. The 7 Series has a new digital instrument cluster to pair with its large infotainment screen that sits atop the dash, and the steering wheel has been slightly tweaked and now features a chrome fascia. BMW claims it has improved the acoustics for a more serene drive by adding more shielding, more insulation and by increasing the thickness of the laminated glass.

As of this announcement, pricing has not been announced, but we expect it to relatively line up with what was set on the previous model with modest increases. Ultra-luxury fans will be able to first get their hands on the new 7 Series when it launches into the market in April 2019.

Source: https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/16/2020-bmw-7-series-big-grille-more-power-phev/

So the front grill is now 40% larger... and unfortunately, it looks at LEAST that much. It's fairly cartoonish and looks very silly, IMO. There were also rumors of an interior refresh that would bring it closer to the S Class, and it doesn't seem like that happened. Granted, the interior as it stands now is still very nice.

523hp and 553lb-ft of torque is an awesome upgrade though. Very nice.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
These new photos are somewhat better than the early leaks, but it still overall seems like a lowered CUV rather than a full-size sedan, and the front end is cartoonish beyond belief.

Pet peeve: having an iPad glued to the top of the dashboard *never* looks premium to me. The LS has gotten this right for as long as it's had a screen (almost 20 years now), but new cars keep coming out (even from Lexus) that do this.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I'm not sure what's up with the forum, but it won't let me post the article text. However, this is a pretty savage review. MT has flamed the new A8 and 7, and been comparatively much more complimentary of the LS.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/7-series/2020/2020-bmw-7-series-review/

Summary: "When the plane lands back at home, though, you're more likely to find yourself sliding behind the wheel of a pure luxury or sports car, not one trying to be both. In making a car that tried to appeal to everyone, BMW finds the 7 Series without a niche, and simply enlarging the grille by 40 percent because existing customers said "go bold" as BMW tells it (but not "go big" as BMW heard it) isn't enough to create one. The midlife crisis tends to end when you're happy with who you are. Let's hope the 7 Series finds itself in its next generation."

mikeavelli

Reactions
I'm not sure what's up with the forum, but it won't let me post the article text. However, this is a pretty savage review. MT has flamed the new A8 and 7, and been comparatively much more complimentary of the LS.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/7-series/2020/2020-bmw-7-series-review/

Summary: "When the plane lands back at home, though, you're more likely to find yourself sliding behind the wheel of a pure luxury or sports car, not one trying to be both. In making a car that tried to appeal to everyone, BMW finds the 7 Series without a niche, and simply enlarging the grille by 40 percent because existing customers said "go bold" as BMW tells it (but not "go big" as BMW heard it) isn't enough to create one. The midlife crisis tends to end when you're happy with who you are. Let's hope the 7 Series finds itself in its next generation."

For me the 7 does drive better than the S in regards to sport but does anyone really care? The only way to really tell the difference driving around town is going super fast on expressway ramps. Otherwise they all drive pretty similar.

I can't believe we live in a world where the Lexus LS is the sportiest one here sans Panamera.

And the BMW grill has grown on me. No pun lol... I dunno, it works better for me now.