MKV Toyota Supra Master Thread

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Forgot this one, more info from lemetier. Main take away is another transmission is being tested. Not sure if it is a DCT or manual.

I’ll just leave this here...

b0ca2d28-b83a-4e1a-810e-f1755583e23d-jpeg.7444

So to expand more, here’s the G29 Z4 (ZF Transmission Technical Application Guide)

The production dates go back to engineering freeze and the ones with no end date so far are the final production transmissions.

With the J29, there are only 2 models listed (equivalent to the Z4 30i and RoW M40i). That leaves a 3rd that

A: Doesn’t have a ZF transmission
B: BMW is not the applicant for the Emissions Certificate (the older SPX data list - German for Shared Emissions Index)

As to the GT86 reference, thats something for another discussion.

ce21982e-349b-45d4-ac97-bc35ed1c5d94-jpeg.7445

Motor

Expert
Reactions
I haven't been following the development of the A90 Supra (because I don't have a need for a coupe), but is there a hybrid powertrain?

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I haven't been following the development of the A90 Supra (because I don't have a need for a coupe), but is there a hybrid powertrain?
It's been rumored in the past, but it appears to be highly unlikely at launch, if at all.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Thanks... Moto is a good friend, he probably knows this car better than anyone not at Toyota. He is good friends with Tada San..

The car is amazingly compact.... I do wish it didn't use the BMW brake caliper design....

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^that honestly sounds more like a V8 than an I6. BMW's other I6 applications sound a lot higher pitched to me... I can't wait to get the final details on this engine.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I'm really curious how they get 50-50 weight distribution with a big chunk of iron in front. It can't be FMR due to the length of the motor. It has to have a rear-mounted transaxle. Then they need to relocate a lot of components to the rear. But doing so adds weight due to the extra piping and cabling involved. Plus they have to do all this with just hi-ten steel and aluminum. The engineering challenge involved is no easier than the LFA.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I'm really curious how they get 50-50 weight distribution with a big chunk of iron in front. It can't be FMR due to the length of the motor. It has to have a rear-mounted transaxle. Then they need to relocate a lot of components to the rear. But doing so adds weight due to the extra piping and cabling involved. Plus they have to do all this with just hi-ten steel and aluminum. The engineering challenge involved is no easier than the LFA.

There are various degrees of mid-front layout. Yes, I wish more RWD (GT86, new Supra, LC 500) cars had transaxles (easier today with auto gearbox as there is no need for mechanical linkage), but it costs more because such a gearbox cannot have any AWD variation and is RWD exclusive only, with an exclusive rear sub-frame. Given how small the trunk of the LC is and the lack of AWD version, a transaxle would not hurt, but many parts are shared with the LS.

As for price,it is not really a factor, Alfa Romeo 33 and 75 were RWD sedans with manual transaxle. So were the Porsche Cayman predecessors, the 924/944/968.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
http://media.toyota.co.uk/2018/07/five-generations-of-toyota-supra-together-for-the-first-time/

FIVE GENERATIONS OF TOYOTA SUPRA TOGETHER FOR THE FIRST TIME
  • World first as all five generations of Toyota Supra come together
  • British Toyota Supra owners get exclusive access to new A90 Supra prototype
  • Sports car introduced by Chief Engineer Tetsuya Tada
A select group of classic Toyota Supra owners from the UK have become amongst the first car fans in the world to get close up and personal with the all-new version of the iconic sports car.

The behind-closed-doors event in Sussex saw all four famous generations of the sports car brought together with the new fifth generation car for the first time anywhere in the world.

Toyota invited a group of Supra super-fans to an evening event with Tetsuya Tada, in which the chief engineer of the new A90 Supra gave owners of all four previous generations an exclusive introduction to the camouflaged prototype.

The top secret, invite-only event occurred during the long weekend of the 2018 Goodwood Festival of Speed, where the keenly anticipated new fifth-generation Supra made its world debut.

Earlier in the day, Tada-san had given thousands of enthusiasts an early taste of the vehicle’s dynamic performance by driving up the famous festival hill course, after which the prototype was whisked away to another location in West Sussex for its exclusive static showing.

A total of 50 immaculately presented Supra models from all four generations had been invited to attend in anticipation of the new A90 Supra’s arrival.

The majority of the 84 owners and guests arrived in fourth-generation models, from highly sought-after UK-specification models with manual gearboxes, to examples that illustrated the enduring popularity and immense tuning potential of the iconic 2JZ straight-six engine. Also in attendance were eight third-generation models in both original and facelifted guise, four angular second-generation models, and a single first-generation model – one of only two examples of the Celica Supra known to exist in the UK.

Tada-san drove the new A90 Supra into the building to rapturous applause from the enthusiasts. He positioned it on a rotating stand and then proudly introduced his “new baby” to the crowd as the culmination of six years of development. It was a moment that marked the first time that all five generations of Toyota Supra had ever appeared together in public.

During the course of the evening, Tada-san was eager to mingle with the guests and chat openly about the A90 project. As an enthusiast himself, he was equally eager to hear from existing owners about what Supra means to them and gain a greater understanding of their expectations for this next chapter in the model’s history.

Commenting on the weekend, Tada-san revealed: “I’m just so happy that we’ve made it to this point. I’ve finally been able to reveal the car to the UK; it’s the happiest day of my life. And to drive it up the hill at Goodwood was a really exciting experience.”

Toyota expects its new Supra to reach the market during the first half of 2019.

EDITOR’S NOTES:

The first Supra was produced in 1978 as the flagship derivative of the contemporary Celica but it was never sold in the UK. The second-generation Celica Supra arrived in the UK in August 1982 and was replaced by the standalone third-generation Supra model in July 1986. The fourth-generation Supra was launched in August 1993 but discontinued in the UK in 1996. Low-volume production of the Mk4 Supra continued in Japan for the domestic market until July 2002.

UK sales figures:

1982-1985 Celica Supra (4,132 units)
1986-1993 Supra (11,551 Units)
1994-1996 Supra (623 units)

supra-a90-2hr-jpg.7739

supra-a90-8hr-jpg.7738

supra-a90-11hr-jpg.7737

toyota-supra-generations-jpg.7740

supra-a90-15hr-jpg.7736