MKV Toyota Supra Master Thread

supra93

Expert
Reactions
From Toyota UK

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-supra-see-the-legend-return

Toyota Supra: See the Legend Return

The hotly anticipated new Toyota Supra sports car will make its public debut in prototype form at the 2018 Goodwood Festival of Speed.

The development model will be seen in action for the first time anywhere in the world on the famous hill course at the Festival, making a fitting contribution to the event’s silver jubilee year. The prototype will be driven by two of the people leading its development: chief engineer Testuya Tada, who has overall responsibility for the Supra project, and master driver Herwig Daenens.

Following the announcement of a new Toyota Supra at the Geneva Motor Show in March, Toyota confirms that the model will be faithful to its distinguished heritage. "It will be a pure, thoroughbred sports car that uses a front-mounted, in-line six-cylinder engine and rear-wheel drive."

The Toyota Supra prototype will be camouflaged in the black-red-and-white colours of Toyota Gazoo Racing – the same colours which adorned Toyota’s 24 Hours of Le Mans winning TS050 Hybrid this year – and will be in action on the Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday of the Festival.

Fans will also have the chance to take a close look at the Toyota GR Supra Racing Concept. Created by Toyota Gazoo Racing (TGR), this concept heralded the return of the Supra name when it was unveiled at this year’s Geneva Motor Show. It explores the potential for a high-performance competition model, featuring dramatic bodywork crafted in advanced, lightweight composite materials, with lowered suspension, racing wheels and cockpit equipped to competition standards.

TGR is the organisation which spearheads Toyota’s global sporting programme and the development of exclusive, performance-focused, GR-branded road cars, including the recently introduced Yaris GRMN. In the FIA World Endurance Championship, TGR achieved Toyota’s first victory in the 24 Hours of Le Mans with a one-two finish in this year’s race. The #8 Toyota TS050 Hybrid which claimed the historic victory will be on display in the competition paddock at Goodwood.

TGR also competes at the highest international level in the FIA World Rally Championship with the Yaris WRC. It has claimed two victories in its debut season in 2017 and scored a win on Rally Argentina and a number of podium finishes so far this year.

Toyota expects its new Toyota Supra to reach the market during the first half of 2019.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Half of trolls, enthusiasts and media: "Toyota does such a crappy job of cultivating enthusiasts, they never post leaks, they never do teasers, it's so boring, they don't build any hype before a debut, nobody even knows about this car."

Other half of trolls, enthusiasts and media:
"Toyota issuing teasers and showing various stages of the prototype is making me disinterested, we've basically seen the entire car already, just release it, I'm bored, there's no interest in the launch now, nobody even cares anymore."

tumblr_p3lhpfXDau1vrjwbvo1_500.gif

Rhambler

Fan
Reactions
I take back my earlier statement about a 335 HP B58-powered Supra at $50k. I honestly think Toyota has the audacity to price it at $60k considering the price of the LC.

So, 335 HP BMW-made Supra at $60k.

Good grief, who will buy that? It’s going to flop.

I would rather get the Z4 so I could at least get three years worth of free scheduled maintenance.

Last edited:

Rhambler

Fan
Reactions
And another reason why I think it will be priced at $60k is that Toyota probably and very honestly feels like the 335 HP, BMW Supra is a Porsche and can thus get the “Porsche premium.”

They probably think that if a 350 HP cayman can get $60k why not a Supra?

Wow, that’s all I got to say. That really is their thinking I bet and I have to laugh.

They are going to find out the hard HARD way why people are willing to pay the Porsche premium. There’s a reason for it and no amount of a BMW-guised Supra can come close. Very few people, in my opinion, would choose the Supra over the Cayman.

This Supra should be priced at $35k to start with that engine and what will be a very slow car by today’s standard.

Last edited:

supra93

Expert
Reactions
They probably think that if a 350 HP cayman can get $60k why not a Supra?

The Cayman S starts at almost $70k, and thats before you start adding stuff to it.

Let me ask you this, do you think any Supra fan would be happy with a 335 HP, $50k Supra that can hit 60 in 5 seconds?

So its suppose to be smaller and lighter than the M240i, but slower? Right...

Last edited:

Rhambler

Fan
Reactions
$60k is close enough to Cayman territory to recognize Toyota’s wishful thinking. And to be even in the same ballpark or for Toyota to even think that is downright laughable in my opinion.

And that BMW starts at what $45k and is slow by today’s standard? I would rather get a fully-loaded mustang over that BMW, not the least of which a $60k Supra with the same B58 engine (which will probably be slower than the M240i regardless of what Toyota lies or say it can do).

$60k = disaster
$50k = flop
$40k = eh, no

We’ll see.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
$60k is close enough to Cayman territory to recognize Toyota’s wishful thinking. And to be even in the same ballpark or for Toyota to even think that is downright laughable in my opinion.

And that BMW starts at what $45k and is slow by today’s standard? I would rather get a fully-loaded mustang over that BMW, not the least of which a $60k Supra with the same B58 engine (which will probably be slower than the M240i regardless of what Toyota lies or say it can do).

$60k = disaster
$50k = flop
$40k = eh, no

We’ll see.

Have you ever brought a Porsche or let a lone a luxury European car?

From both personal experience and from close friends, the cars sitting on the dealer lots are way higher than the base MSRP.

My boss' "$90k" 911 easily became $105k. His wife's "$60k" F-type came to $75k.
My bestfriend's "$60k" 2013 M3 was more like "$72k".
I paid like $6k in options on my BMW 545i.

1st: We don't even know for sure what the A90 will cost.
2nd: The supposedly "$60k" will already come nicely equipped.
3rd: I think it will be price in the $50k range, the Z4 already sits in the $60k price range. A Toyota should definitely cost less.

Sure, the Supra will probably be a little higher than the MSRP. But nowhere near the Germans.

The car will be like 300lbs less than the M240i but will be slower. Ok..

Great, go buy a dime in a dozen Mustang already. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Rhambler

Fan
Reactions
I am curious how fast Toyota claims this car to be with that b58 engine.

I have no qualms in saying that whatever Toyota claims, the actual car will be significantly slower. Not one reputable media outlet will come close to what Toyota says it can do. And yeah I bet it is slow.

It’s just funny watching this train wreck unfold even before it leaves the station. Sales will speak for itself...just like the LC and LS. We all got a front-row seat.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
I am curious how fast Toyota claims this car to be with that b58 engine.

I have no qualms in saying that whatever Toyota claims, the actual car will be significantly slower. Not one reputable media outlet will come close to what Toyota says it can do. And yeah I bet it is slow.

It’s just funny watching this train wreck unfold even before it leaves the station. Sales will speak for itself...just like the LC and LS. We all got a front-row seat.

The media has test drove the Z4 prototype in France and have given it an estimate 0-60 time of 4.5 second.

The new LS' sales are around the same as the 7 series.

Rhambler

Fan
Reactions
Yeah, that’s slow, especially for a $60k car.

And, I bet LC sales drops to double digits this year while the LS plunges below 500 before year’s end. Quite an accomplishment for new models.

I’m not saying we told you so, but the writing was on the wall when details of both were announced, including price, engine, power, features and speed.

The same can be said of the Supra.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Yeah, that’s slow, especially for a $60k car.

And, I bet LC sales drops to double digits this year while the LS plunges below 500 before year’s end. Quite an accomplishment for new models.

I’m not saying we told you so, but the writing was on the wall when details of both were announced, including price, engine, power, features and speed.

The same can be said of the Supra.

I never said it was fast. What you been saying how this car will do 0-60 in 5 second. All I have done is simply debunk your "logic" by using heavier cars with the same motor.

Oh FYI, your $60k 718 Boxser does 0-60 in 4.9 second. ;)

What sales have you been looking at? Lexus has already sold 4,368 LS this year.

We shall see, neither of us have a crystal ball.

Last edited:

Rhambler

Fan
Reactions
Porsche premium and Porsche greatly understates their performance, unlike, *cough*, Toyota and Lexus.

Hey don’t kill the messenger, I’m just saying if they price it what I think they’re going price it and if it has the B58 engine, it will flop.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Porsche premium and Porsche greatly understates their performance, unlike, *cough*, Toyota and Lexus.

Hey don’t kill the messenger, I’m just saying if they price it what I think they’re going price it and if it has the B58 engine, it will flop.

BMW also underrates their motors. ;)

I'm not trying to get into with you either, if anything I have been just correcting both your "facts" and "logic".

Rhambler

Fan
Reactions
Well that’s BMW. That’s why I said earlier that I’m downright curious what Toyota will claim.

Everything I say is my opinion and estimation and I think the Supra, like the LC and LS, will flop assuming it’s priced like I think it’s priced.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Well that’s BMW. That’s why I said earlier that I’m downright curious what Toyota will claim.

Everything I say is my opinion and estimation and I think the Supra, like the LC and LS, will flop assuming it’s priced like I think it’s priced.

I guess we're just going to ignore your rant of a unproven 5 seconds 0-60 time. Whatever their claim is, using simply logic, it will be faster than your "estimation".

From everything you have said it is obvious you don't understand how German pricing works or how exclusivity also adds to the price tag. In the end it sound like this car isn't for you, and there's nothing wrong with that. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
For some reason people do buy €40K 318d. If the the Supra is a flop, so is the Z4. But you @Rhambler never seem to mention German flops, like the Audi R8, the Mercedes-AMG GT and the many other or the overpriced rubbish that the Germans sell, yet that no homo economicus would buy.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
@Rhambler, your posts are always articulate and you always make good points, but the intentional baiting and trolling takes away from what you're trying to accomplish. Please scale it back or exit the thread.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
In other news, supposedly the car will be getting an iron block.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/ne...cifications-of-us-spec-mkv-supra.1306/page-67

I was told by another source completely unrelated to A70s source to expect an iron block and a well flowing head. This was maybe 3-4 days ago. This source is not an engineer but someone close to Tada-San that had been in and driven the car.

The iron block was still pretty unbelievable for me too but with the latest stuff from A70 and now this, I can't help but be a believer.

it's solid iron, but I believe it's likely composed of CGI. What I don't know is specifically where the block came from; I was told it was an existing design that hinted at the M57, but my latest conversation almost sounded like the motor will still carry a B58 designation (different version number?)

As Guff said, one of Tada's closest friends made a FB post about the block being iron a few days back if anyone was still on the fence. This particular individual is privy to product planning/PR and engineering efforts and generally knows this information before anyone else outside of Tada's inner circle (even myself).

nvmithg-jpg.7450

Last edited: