MKV Toyota Supra Master Thread

supra93

Expert
Reactions
The prototype in Japan drops body cladding and gets new camo wrap.

ll0QImb.jpg

z7d66Re.jpg

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
There is no engine. It is electric?

Modern concept cars typically run small electric motors in place of a real engine. These motors run out of juice fast; they're hooked up to very small batteries.

The prototype in Japan drops body cladding and gets new camo wrap.

I'm quite sure I still see cladding, because otherwise parts of the exterior would look very ungainly on the production car.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
https://www.toyota-europe.com/world-of-toyota/toyotagazooracing/grsupraconceptcar#

A legend at Le Mans Toyota GR Supra Racing Concept

Bringing back our most iconic sports car

Toyota’s historic win at Le Mans 2018 presented the perfect moment for Tetsuya Tada, Chief Engineer of the Supra, to confirm that our most iconic sports car is returning. The GR Supra Racing Concept exhibited at Le Mans Toyota fan zone, is reviving the famous Supra name, recalling the spirit of the most celebrated sports model in Toyota’s story. Compact and dramatic, the racing concept promises a car that can deliver high performance on both track and road.

“The new Supra should be the flagship sports car of the Toyota brand and a front-runner of an era.”
Tetsuya Tada – Chief Engineer

Born to perform
As a joint development between Toyota and BMW, the new Supra was seen from the start as a top-tier racing car in line with Supra’s motorsport-inspired pedigree. Tada-san said that the new Supra, to be launched early 2019, will inherit the tradition built by the previous Supra and incorporate modern-day, state-of-the-art technology without compromise.

Featuring a characterful in-line 6-cylinder front-engine, rear-wheel-drive layout, the next Supra not only revives the legacy of its past but promises to give drivers a truly thrilling sensation.

1600x900%20-%20hero%20(1)_tcm-11-1278526.jpg

1600x1200%20-%201_tcm-11-1409975.jpg

1600x1200%20-%203_tcm-11-1409977.jpg

1600x1200%20-%204_tcm-11-1409978.jpg

1600x1200%20-%205_tcm-11-1409979.jpg

1600x1200%20-%206_tcm-11-1409974.jpg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Maybe I haven't seen the latest spy photos, but that version above has different side skirts and I really like them.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Toyota has confirmed that the all-new A90 generation Supra is set to make its public debut at the Goodwood Festival of Speed later this month.

Little else has been said about the Supra's Goodwood debut - we don't yet know if it will be part of a static display or if Toyota plans to send it up the hillclimb route, but it's likely that the car will make its dynamic debut.

The image below is that teaser. The Supra wears its final bodywork, giving us a first shadowy glimpse of the way it'll look in showrooms next year.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/new-2019-toyota-supra-coming-to-goodwood-festival-of-speed.1325/

ckOdL9Z.png

Last edited:

supra93

Expert
Reactions
http://pressroom.toyota.com/release...+american+racing+in+nascar+xfinity+series.htm

The Revival of the Fittest: Toyota Supra Gets Back to American Racing in NASCAR Xfinity Series
July 05, 2018

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (July 5, 2018) – Toyota Supra is back at the track! Beginning in 2019, the globally-recognized iconic sports car will prove its championship mettle in the hotly contested NASCAR Xfinity Series (NXS). Supra will make its on-track debut in the NXS race at Daytona on Saturday, Feb. 16, 2019.

“When you talk Toyota and cool cars, Supra is the first thing that comes to mind for many auto enthusiasts,” said Ed Laukes, group vice president of Toyota Division Marketing. “Supra’s return in production form is huge news, but now we’re also going to see this iconic sports car return to American motorsport. From a marketing perspective, it’s important to have a race car that evokes the dynamism and character of its showroom counterpart. We’re confident we’ve accomplished that with Supra, and we hope racing fans the world over will proudly cheer its success on track.”

Toyota worked with its subsidiaries, TRD, U.S.A. (Toyota Racing Development) in Costa Mesa, California, and Calty Design Research, Inc. (Calty) in Newport Beach, California, to develop a Supra for NASCAR competition. The two teams applied key learnings from their prior collaborative efforts in NASCAR, which included the 2018 Toyota Camry that clinched the 2017 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series championship.

To build the Supra for NASCAR, TRD and Calty scaled Supra to fit within NASCAR’s specifications for race vehicle entries in the NXS.
“We’ve had tremendous success working with Calty to develop race cars that match the look, feel and excitement of their showroom counterparts,” said David Wilson, president of TRD. “We’re confident Calty and TRD have developed another race car, Supra, that is capable of winning races and championships. For Supra to be racing in NASCAR just speaks to how important this vehicle is to us, and that we believe Supra can be a bona fide championship winner.”

Toyota has fielded Camry in NXS competition since 2007, tallying four manufacturer championships while Camry has earned two driver championships and 143 wins. The 2019 season marks the first year Toyota will field a different model in all three of NASCAR’s national series – Camry at the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series (MENCS) level, Supra in the NXS, and Tundra in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS).

Supra previously raced in both America and Japan, where it was a dominant force in Super GT competition and a contender in the IMSA Camel GT Series in the 1980s. It also made two appearances in the 24 Hours of Le Mans in France in the 1990s.
TRD and Calty previously worked together to design:

* 2013: Sixth-generation Camry for MENCS
* 2014: Tundra for NCWTS
* 2015: Seventh-generation Camry for NXS
* 2016: Eighth-generation Camry for MENCS
* 2017: Eighth-generation Camry for NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series

Calty has worked hand-in-hand with TRD, Toyota’s North American race engineer arm, to ensure consistency between production models and on-track Toyota race cars, while also improving on-track performance with each new build. The groups began work on the NASCAR Supra in 2017.

“When Ed (Laukes) told me they were bringing Supra back, I almost didn’t believe him. I figured he was messing with me, but Toyota did it and this is a big deal for the NASCAR Xfinity Series,” said Kyle Busch, who won the 2009 NXS championship in Camry. “Supra is an iconic cool car, and to have it racing in NASCAR to highlight Supra’s return speaks to how important this is. I’m hoping to be the first guy to get Supra to victory lane, but I’m sure there’s a few other Toyota drivers thinking the same thing.”

Reflecting Toyota’s commitment to motorsports in America, the manufacturer now showcases six models across eight series in America. Toyota Racing Development’s lineup includes: Camry, Supra, and Tundra in the NASCAR national series; Camry in the NHRA Funny Car competition; Camry in the ARCA Racing Series and regional touring series; 86 and Corolla Hatchback in Formula Drift; as well as engines for dirt midget racing and other series.

Toyota Motor North America will release more information about Supra in the future.

xfinity-supra-001-1.jpg

xfinity-supra-003-1.jpg

xfinity-supra-004-1.jpg

xfinity-supra-005-1.jpg

xfinity-supra-006-1.jpg

xfinity-supra-007-1.jpg

xfinity-supra-008-1.jpg

xfinity-supra-009-1.jpg

xfinity-supra-010-1.jpg

xfinity-supra-012-1.jpg

xfinity-supra-014-1.jpg

xfinity-supra-015-1.jpg

xfinity-supra-016-1.jpg

xfinity-supra-017-1.jpg

xfinity-supra-018-1.jpg

xfinity-supra-019-1.jpg

xfinity-supra-track-1-1.jpg

xfinity-supra-track-2-1.jpg

xfinity-supra-track-4-1.jpg

xfinity-supra-track-5-1.jpg

xfinity-supra-track-6-1.jpg

xfinity-supra-track-7-1.jpg

xfinity-supra-track-8-1.jpg

xfinity-supra-track-9-1.jpg

xfinity-supra-track-10-1.jpg

xfinity-supra-track-11-1.jpg

mikeavelli

Reactions
So it seems the production body is being shown in Goodwood next week but it will still have a camo wrap...

Toyota also released that the Supra joins Nascar next year....

supra93

Expert
Reactions
New info from insider.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/ne...cifications-of-us-spec-mkv-supra.1306/page-58
A70TTR said:
now that this information has apparently been dispersed to marketing teams worldwide, some of the new info circulating is as follows (subject to change but unlikely):

SZ - 4cyl, NA
SZ-R - 6cyl, 3070lbs
RZ - 6 cyl 3350lbs

starting price for SZ still appears to be $40,000USD

A70TTR said:
[The 4 cyl] might be coming to the US, maybe not. Still no confirmation.

Will be available in SE Asia, Japan, and parts of Europe for now.

A70TTR said:
I think the argument is something like this:

Accountants/forecasters: zOMG, we need the 4cyl to appeal to green customers and those that want good mpg...
The rest of Toyota: Dear God, no, I will do anything in my power to keep that and the Gazoo name off our shores.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I heard 339hp and 354lb-ft of torque, and that number bothers me because newer versions of their I6 are significantly more powerful. If this car comes with 365+hp and starts around $40k with that much power, I will be happy. I think.

Did I also read that this is a new I6 design that will be cast iron?

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
So it seems the production body is being shown in Goodwood next week but it will still have a camo wrap...

Toyota also released that the Supra joins Nascar next year....

Wait, so let me get this straight. Toyota is doing yet another debut of the Supra, yet we still won't get a clear unadulterated look at the exterior (or interior)? This is getting ridiculous. Stop this Toyota. How many more endless teases and 'soft' reveals will we have to endure? Debut the car already. If it's not ready for debut then keep quiet and enough of these monotonous, endless leaks and 'soft' launches.

I heard 339hp and 354lb-ft of torque, and that number bothers me because newer versions of their I6 are significantly more powerful. If this car comes with 365+hp and starts around $40k with that much power, I will be happy. I think.

Did I also read that this is a new I6 design that will be cast iron?

Right now I won't believe a word of anything until I see the official press release from the Toyota press room and detailed specs straight from the Toyota press room. There's been WAY too many contradictory rumors for this project.

Also I would like to point out that personally I am not a fan of the direction this thread has gone in. Countless photoshops of the same images, or countless posts of the same rehashed rumors over and over and over I don't think have contributed positively to this thread.

Rhambler

Fan
Reactions
Toyota (and Lexus) just aren't doing themselves any favors in the pre-release hype department; they are just setting everyone up for a huge letdown.

There's just too many superfluous hints and teases way too far in advance of release. It unnecessarily raises everyone's expectations.

No matter what they release, it won't be good enough. Forget that fact that it probably LEGITIMATELY won't be good enough to be begin with (i.e., overpriced and legitimately slow).

It will be an overpriced 86. Toyota will say (like the 86) "hey, this car can do curves well." Well of course you can do you curves well when you're moving that slow...

I'm just wondering what claim time Toyota will publish and how close people can actually get to it. I'm betting not one major media outlet will get within 0.5 seconds of whatever time Toyota claims, haha.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Rhambler, whatever VAG pays you to post here it's not enough. Most people wouldn't commit to the "all their engines suck" script enough to claim that a car with a BMW I-6 is going to suck because it has a Toyota badge.

Last edited:

Rhambler

Fan
Reactions
Let me ask you this, do you think any Supra fan would be happy with a 335 HP, $50k Supra that can hit 60 in 5 seconds?

Be honest...

In my opinion, no, they wouldn’t, especially after all this hype.

But, there’s a very, very good chance it will be just that. If you take my speculative opinion for something it isn’t, so be it. I’m just being brutally honest.

The indignity of having it built by BMW is bad enough right, since there are a lot of BMW haters here. However, there’s a worse possibility in my opinion, Toyota meddling with BMW’s engine. I really believe no good can come of that since Toyota doesn’t have much a reputation in building good engines thus far. They should just leave it well enough alone but price it Like it should be priced: $35k for 335 HP car...

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
The indignity of having it built by BMW is bad enough right, since there are a lot of BMW haters here.

Don't confuse apathy about BMW's current lineup with not liking BMW. I love all their classics, like the 2002 and the pre-iDrive 3 Series of the late 90s. Right now all they make that's particularly interesting for me is the i8, but OTOH their engines tend to be quite tunable and I expect that will also apply to the Supra.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Toyota Europe just posted a larger and clearer 5000x2812 version of the teaser and a new one of the rear.

The legend returns
The Toyota Supra A90 prototype is set to make its world debut appearance at the prestigious Goodwood Festival of Speed 2018.

supra1.jpg

supra2.jpg