2019 Toyota Corolla Thread (Hatch & Sedan) Updated

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Gecko, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Gecko
    Gecko Staff Member Administrator
    I just saw some pre-LA show documents that label the Corolla as "Corolla Sedan Refresh." I think and hope that is wrong - Toyota's own press release calls it "all-new."

F1 Silver Arrows likes this.
  2. Joaquin Ruhi
    Joaquin Ruhi Staff Member Moderator
    That has to be wrong. We'll know for sure at the end of this week.

Motor and F1 Silver Arrows like this.
  3. spwolf
    it is pretty clear that it is all new model, not an facelift.

Motor and F1 Silver Arrows like this.
  4. Motor
    Toyota Unveils New Corolla Sedans at China's Guangzhou International Automobile Exhibition
    https://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/toyota/25357603.html?padid=ag478_from_kv

:thumbsup:

supra93, Joaquin Ruhi and spwolf like this.
  5. ssun30
    The Chinese domestic market Corolla will receive the 12 inch infotainment* screen from the Prius Prime, which looks DISGUSTING. But the Chinese market is all about big screens, so there's that.
    [​IMG]

There is no info on Chinese domestic market drivetrain, although at this time local news sources say the displayed model carries the 2.0L hybrid. Seriously? That 180hp system is definitely overpowered in the segment.

The rear is a major disappointment to me. Too much similarity with a Ford Fusion. The render looked much better. Wonder why they didn't just used the design elements from the hatch.

*According to Chinese news sources, this new infotainment system will be the basis of all future TMC infotainment systems, but they are only available to China (which is crazy about infotainment) at this moment. The UI looks clearly different from the Entune 3.0. I wonder if this is related to the rumored touchscreen-based Lexus system. I just wish the Lexus implementation is less intrusive.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    spwolf likes this.
  6. supra93
    https://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/all+new+2020+toyota+corolla+ready+rock+sedan+world.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Motor likes this.
  7. ssun30
    The USDM XSE grille is an abomination. The ChDM Levin is by far the best execution of the various sedan styles (as is the case for last generation). And no sedan matches the hatch.

8. spwolf
    with extended wheelbase but short trunk, it looks like a smaller model now... like basically a Yaris Sedan.

@ssun30 make sure to post better pic of that big screen... i doubt it is the same as in Prius at all, Prius uses older system, lower res.... new TMC vehicles use Linux based infotainment system, and I guess that is what it means... but TMC lets regional offices develop their own version of it, to better suit local taste.

USA gets massaged 1.8l ZR, EU gets massaged 1.6l ZR, both will also get 1.8l hybrid I believe. Not sure about 2.0l hybrid in China, but this is very low volume fleet model in Europe, so i can see them limiting options... although it seems we do get heads up display at least.

9. ssun30
    That original pic is potato quality. Also it IS a new screen measuring 12.1 inch instead of 11.6 inch on the Prius Prime. Don't know the resolution of the Prime screen, but this one is full hd (1080x1920).

I do find it weird that the 2ZR-FAE is not only for base L/LE trim but for the XLE (in US) as well. Perhaps they expected the SE and XSE to be pushing the most volume anyway.

10. Motor

I dig the "Dynamic Design" of the US Corolla.

11. mikeavelli
    mikeavelli Staff Member Moderator
    I think that is amazing for a Corolla inside and out. Amazing how far small cars have come. I'm really digging that headlight/hood treatment.

Ian Schmidt and Gecko like this.
  12. Gecko
    Gecko Staff Member Administrator
    My thoughts also. This is clean and tidy - I like it.

Ian Schmidt likes this.
  13. spwolf
    it had some weirder resultion, less than that. 1080p is nice.

As to the engine, it is updated i guess, but they are doing it due to cost... Corolla buyers are cost conscious, even XLE... or else it becomes close to Camry in Price (or Rav4, CHR, etc). In Europe it is 1.6l, which is designed to be a fleet model and lower the price... i was surprised they did not do the same for Corolla Hatch? Btw, remember that 1.5l updated engine in Yaris EU? I think it was ZR too, and it gets really good fuel consumption, I guess ESTEC. Updated ZR should be the same.

14. ssun30
    I can see the reason being ZR tooling still having considerable lifetime in them. But the surprise is keeping and updating the not-so-cheap FAE instead of the really-cheap FE. It could be preserving the know-how in continuous VVL, but I don't see Valvematic coming back in the future.

15. ssun30
    Updates on the Corolla PHEV, which will indeed be based on the E170 platform. Difference compared to the Prius Prime includes:
    >>Different prime drive motor (MG2), a 53kW unit with 207N.m of torque compared to the Prime's 52kW/163N.m. *This is the same motor as the one used by the Corolla Hybrid/Gen 3 Prius as opposed to the Prime's more advanced motor.
    >>A 10.5 kWh locally-sourced Li-ion battery pack. Claimed EV range is 55km (34mi) under unknown cycle, the minimum required to qualify as a credit-earning PHV for China's latest 'double-credit' system.
    >>The overall PHEV architecture is mostly developed by TMEC China at Suzhou, so it's not a carbon copy of the Prime's P710 system.
    >>Claimed 1.3L/100km (181 MPG-US fuel economy under the (easily exploited) NEDC cycle. 'Real world economy' under WLTP estimated at 4.3L/100km (55 MPG-US) with an empty battery.
    >>100kW (134hp) total system power, although this could be the same as the Prime. Toyota just uses a different rating method for the Prius/Prius Prime (the rest still uses the older ICE+Battery max power method).
    >>Only AC slow charge available, unlike the JDM Prius PHV which also supports CHAdeMO. Total charging time is 2 hours like the USDM Prime (that is, when using a 240V outlet).

To better align with new Corolla's interior quality improvements, the interior is reworked to provide a more premium feel (the E170 was widely criticized for having sub-par interior quality and amenities). Unfortunately TSS is still unavailable.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    spwolf and Joaquin Ruhi like this.
  16. Ian Schmidt
    Ian Schmidt Staff Member Moderator
    Best looking Corolla for as long as I can remember. It's nice to see small cars that aren't penalty boxes.

17. spwolf
    i doubt it is tooling, especially they sold so many Corollas... it is just more expensive, more advanced engine... even transmission has to be more expensive... i would not be surprised if it is $500-$600 more, which translates to over $1k selling price.

18. spwolf
    @ssun30 so Avalon in China? looks good... what are their sales predictions? Seems like perfect car for China, not sure about engines and prices?

19. ssun30
    They are targeting 50k a year, which is how many Reiz they were selling back when it was popular. But I think they can be much more ambitious than that. Not having a 2.0L certainly limits its volume, but in its segment there's simply no serious challenger.

FAW played the right card by promoting it as a sporty sedan, like GAC did with the Camry. They did not call it a 'full-size premium car' to not affect the Crown. They are also making sure nobody is cross-shopping it against the ES. It is the spiritual successor to the Reiz (the world is a crazy place), which makes me worried that Toyota is seriously considering replacing the Mark X with the Avalon in Japan.

Joaquin Ruhi likes this.
  20. spwolf
    doesnt seem like mark x is getting a replacement, although there is nothing similar between them anyway.