12th Generation E120 Toyota Corolla Thread (Hatch, Sedan, Cross, GR)

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Is this still happening? Slotted above the C-HR?
At this point, all we have is a registered trademark.

Assuming this is unveiled in conjunction with a major auto show, the soonest we could expect to see it would be for the Los Angeles Auto Show's press conferences on November 28-29, since Toyota is launching five new vehicles at the show, including hybrid and special edition models. Otherwise, it could be sometime next year, with Detroit, Chicago, Geneva, New York or Shanghai shows as possibilities.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
At this point, all we have is a registered trademark.

Assuming this is unveiled in conjunction with a major auto show, the soonest we could expect to see it would be for the Los Angeles Auto Show's press conferences on November 28-29, since Toyota is launching five new vehicles at the show, including hybrid and special edition models. Otherwise, it could be sometime next year, with Detroit, Chicago, Geneva, New York or Shanghai shows as possibilities.

thing is no media has shown anything ever about it... so i wonder if it exits, or at least anytime soon.

As to the vs C-HR, they would be very similar cars i guess. Unless it is based on Touring model? It might be something only/predominantly for Europe, or else Japanese would be writing about it already.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
thing is no media has shown anything ever about it... so i wonder if it exits, or at least anytime soon.

As to the vs C-HR, they would be very similar cars i guess. Unless it is based on Touring model? It might be something only/predominantly for Europe, or else Japanese would be writing about it already.
There's a U.S. trademark for Corolla Cross, so at least it's being considered here.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
Toyota Safety Sense or TSS is a suite of advanced active safety technologies and driver assistance systems.

TSS 2.0 builds on previous TSS-C and TSS-P suites and consists of six active safety and driver assistance systems.

-Pre-Collision System (PCS)
-Land Departure Alert (LDA)
-Full-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC)
- Automatic High Beams (AHB)
- Road Sign Assist (RSA)
- Lane Tracing Assist (LTA)

Motor

Expert
Reactions
2020 Corolla Sedan teaser

And somebody's guess

338d019d-2020-toyota-corolla-sedan-renderings-by-kleber-silva-2-1024x683.jpg

9c38421b-2020-toyota-corolla-sedan-renderings-by-kleber-silva-1-1024x683.jpg

Motor

Expert
Reactions
teaser bad pic @Motor ?

Sorry...I don't follow. At 0:10 of the video an outline of the sedan is shown, preceded by the touring and hatch. And I posted two renders below that.

Here is something more official:

Toyota to Unveil New Corolla and New Levin Sedans at China's Guangzhou International Automobile Exhibition
Beijing, China, November 9, 2018―Toyota will unveil new sedan models in the Corolla series (known in China as "Corolla" and "Levin") in a world premiere at the Guangzhou International Automobile Exhibition, which is scheduled to be held from November 16.

Exhibits planned for the Toyota booth include product displays featuring the new Corolla and Levin, information and displays on electrification technology such as hybrid powertrains, and displays relating to "intelligence" and "informatization" technologies and services, which are key fields in China as Toyota strives to transform into a mobility company.
https://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/toyota/25286889.html

No teaser pic was provided by Toyota Global. If you can wait a little a bit, I'm sure the sedan will leak (conveniently) before its official debut next week.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Sorry...I don't follow. At 0:10 of the video an outline of the sedan is shown, preceded by the touring and hatch. And I posted two renders below that.

Here is something more official:

Toyota to Unveil New Corolla and New Levin Sedans at China's Guangzhou International Automobile Exhibition

https://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/toyota/25286889.html

No teaser pic was provided by Toyota Global. If you can wait a little a bit, I'm sure the sedan will leak (conveniently) before it's official debut next week.

it was showing as unknown media for me (like a 404), now it is showing as YT video so I get it :).

Cool... it is very interesting that they are moving chinese Corolla to new model so soon?

Motor

Expert
Reactions
now it is showing as YT video so I get it :).

Cool... it is very interesting that they are moving chinese Corolla to new model so soon?

I'm glad it worked out. It's good that the Chinese Corolla is going to be nearly identical to what's offered globally. But this part of the press release irked me "as Toyota strives to transform into a mobility company" - since when? To be honest, I'm a bit more interested in the upcoming Mazda3 sedan.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I'm glad it worked out. It's good that the Chinese Corolla is going to be nearly identical to what's offered globally. But this part of the press release irked me "as Toyota strives to transform into a mobility company" - since when? To be honest, I'm a bit more interested in the upcoming Mazda3 sedan.

PR's are for investors and journalists, dont forget that.

As to the Corolla, yes, it is a global model now... they literally had 3 models previously, with substantial differences.

It is going to be super important for Toyota... they have the basics right now, I bet it will have same wheelbase as Corolla Touring too, new state of the art powertrains, interior is really nice, drives well and it is a Toyota.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
That 16 November Guangzhou Auto Show debut for the new Corolla sedan precedes the Los Angeles Auto Show by almost 2 weeks. Will that be the venue for the North American debut of the 12th-gen Corolla sedan? Or will they hold it off a bit until the Detroit Auto Show in January 2019 or Chicago in February?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
That 16 November Guangzhou Auto Show debut for the new Corolla sedan precedes the Los Angeles Auto Show by almost 2 weeks. Will that be the venue for the North American debut of the 12th-gen Corolla sedan? Or will they hold it off a bit until the Detroit Auto Show in January 2019 or Chicago in February?

does it matter? Since we will see it in China, and we know 2.0l engine is going to be in it.

I am interested in what engines they will offer in Europe for Sedan, since I dont think they will offer same ones as in Corolla Hatch (1.8l/2.0l hybrids + 1.2t)... It might debut new 1.6l engine.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
This is kind of a shocker to me. All previous rumors, and including their debut of the Corolla PHV pointed to the new FAW Corolla and GAC Levin being a refresh of the E170. But then they just dropped the bomb that it will be the brand new TNGA-C sedan. So are these PHVs they showed in Beijing this year engineering vehicles used to evaluate the drivetrain?

Engine options are very predictable. The good old 8NR stays, and the ESTEC 1.8 hybrid goes in. Only question is whether the new 2.0 is necessary in China. Technically competitions do offer 'lukewarm' versions of their compact sedans in this segment, like the Civic 1.5T and the Sagitar GLI. And the take rate on the Civic 1.5T has been really high.

Also if I'm not mistaken, the Guangzhou Auto Show will also see the launch of the Avalon. Maybe the RAV4 is for Beijing in May 19?

P.S. Not want to go off-topic here. But the MY2018 DFW-Honda Civic was recently exposed to use inferior materials for the B-pillar which compromised side impact safety. In most recent C-NCAP testing the Civic's B-pillar snapped and detached from the chassis. We will see how bad this yet another PR crisis will be for Honda. This just might be another gold opportunity for the Corolla...although it is dominating the Civic already.

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
This is kind of a shocker to me. All previous rumors, and including their debut of the Corolla PHV pointed to the new FAW Corolla and GAC Levin being a refresh of the E170. But then they just dropped the bomb that it will be the brand new TNGA-C sedan. So are these PHVs they showed in Beijing this year engineering vehicles used to evaluate the drivetrain?

Engine options are very predictable. The good old 8NR stays, and the ESTEC 1.8 hybrid goes in. Only question is whether the new 2.0 is necessary in China. Technically competitions do offer 'lukewarm' versions of their compact sedans in this segment, like the Civic 1.5T and the Sagitar GLI. And the take rate on the Civic 1.5T has been really high.

I wonder if it will be improved version of 1.8l hybrid... supposedly new Prius is getting something improved, same with European Corolla Hybrid 1.8l. We dont know what yet.

It does seem they are moving quickly to TNGA.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
Live from Carmel, California: the All-New 2020 Corolla Makes its North American Debut

November 12, 2018
The world’s most popular car is about to get greater than ever. Tune in to the live North American reveal of the all-new, 12th-generation 2020 Toyota Corolla on Thursday, November 15, at 7:00 p.m. PST.

Get your front-row access here:
#Corolla

https://pressroom.toyota.com/releas...w+2020+corolla+makes+north+american+debut.htm

606c2e1e-2020-toyota-corolla-sedan-768x512.jpg

Looks a tad bit more aggressive up front than the hatch/touring. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Looks really nice there... I'm excited to see what this looks like after the positive reception to the Hatch.

Speaking of, I saw my first Corolla Hatch on the road this weekend, a white XRS. White car + white LED lights is one of my favorite combinations, and I can't believe how good this Corolla looks. It flew up behind me on the highway and looked very aggressive in my rearview. Crazy for a "Corolla."

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Looks really nice there... I'm excited to see what this looks like after the positive reception to the Hatch.

Speaking of, I saw my first Corolla Hatch on the road this weekend, a white XRS. White car + white LED lights is one of my favorite combinations, and I can't believe how good this Corolla looks. It flew up behind me on the highway and looked very aggressive in my rearview. Crazy for a "Corolla."

i have to think that we will be dissapointed with sedan, but lets see.

Otherwise, they dont seem to have enough of them for the USA... probably limited to 20k units per year?