2019 Mazda3

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Motor, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Motor
    MAZDA REVEALS ALL-NEW MAZDA3
    https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/press-release/mazda-reveals-all-new-mazda3/

The competition has some work to do.

2. ssun30
    Incredible work by Mazda. IMO it easily overshadows the just-launched Corolla sedan. Exterior design is much more elegant. Interior they seem to got rid of the much-despised tack-on tablet. And the engine, simply one full generation ahead of everyone, including the Dynamic Force.

Before calling this COTY 2019, I will wait to see if Mazda offers as good a safety/driving aid package as the TSS 2.0. And the Skyactiv-X better be reliable.

carguy420, Joaquin Ruhi and Motor like this.
  3. Levi
    Looks nothing like the concept. Proportions are all wrong: C-pillar looks too thick/heavy, front overhang way too long, and with huge rims the wheels still too small, interior too dark (light, not color) and high.

Ian Schmidt and Joaquin Ruhi like this.
  4. Gecko
    Gecko Staff Member Administrator
    I also struggle with that super chunky C-pillar... it messes up the design of the hatch, IMO. Sedan and everything else about both is very nice.

5. Motor

When is the new Corolla getting AWD?

6. Joaquin Ruhi
    Joaquin Ruhi Staff Member Moderator
    I find myself with deeply mixed feelings about this new Mazda3. Historically, GM and Subaru concepts, in particular, have suffered enormously when transitioning to production, whereas Mazda stood out for production cars that skewed closely to their concept forebears. Not this one, though. In transitioning from the Kai Concept, the 4th-gen Mazda3 hatchback has lost much of the concept's allure. Levi's comments above nail the criticisms, although the optional (on the hatchback) burgundy interior does look quite attractive.

[​IMG]

Another major disappointment is the downgrade of the rear suspension from multi-link to a torsion beam axle. So, at least on paper, the latest Corolla has a more sophisticated rear suspension than the Mazda3!

On the plus side, optional AWD is a pleasant surprise, the pseudo-HCCI Skyactiv-X promises to be a grand-slam home run (assuming it's reliable, as ssun30 noted), and nobody does manual transmissions like Mazda. Overall, the jury's still out for me on this one...

7. Ian Schmidt
    Ian Schmidt Staff Member Moderator
    I like the interior, but the exterior's wrong for all the reasons noted, especially that C-pillar. Yikes. The resemblance of the Tesla Model 3 to the outgoing Mazda 3 has been noted before, but this one seems to return the favor and borrow some styling elements from the Model 3. Unfortunately it's not quite as successful with them as the Tesla is.

8. ssun30
    Wait, torsion beam rear?

Gecko likes this.
  9. Gecko
    Yeah, I noticed that too. One small line about it, but it's a pretty big deal. Guess they had to cut costs somewhere...

Ian Schmidt likes this.
  10. Motor
    Don't Expect a New Mazdaspeed3
    https://jalopnik.com/dont-expect-a-new-mazdaspeed3-1830739776
    So much for "zoom-zoom".

11. Joaquin Ruhi
    Joaquin Ruhi Staff Member Moderator
    Autoblog's Joel Stockdale addresses questions on powertrains, suspension, AWD and the possibility of a future 2.5 turbo. Here are the main excerpts:

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/11/29/2019-mazda3-engines-suspension-awd-details/

12. mikeavelli
    mikeavelli Staff Member Moderator
    I skipped the Mazda event but saw them at the auto show. Surprisingly in person I liked the hatch much better than pics. The fat C-pillar is different but someone pulled it off for me. Nice detailing you can't see in pics.

The sedan IMO looked great as well.

Trexus likes this.
  13. mmcartalk

My experience, over the years, has been that there's not much difference between a torsion beam and full-IRS in most normal driving....you've got to push things pretty hard, or have a pretty rough road in a corner, to see a real difference in handling. A beam-axle also makes things much simpler for rear-wheel alignment....most vehicles I knew with that feature don't need rear alignments at all.

14. Motor
    Two interior videos.

15. Motor

carguy420 likes this.
  16. Gecko
    Its so, so nice :thumbsup:

mikeavelli likes this.
  17. Motor
  18. Motor

flexus likes this.
  19. mikeavelli
    mikeavelli Staff Member Moderator
    I have to say Mazda continues to impress and they are really moving upmarket. Lets be honest, how is an Acura ILX any better than this? Its worse in many cases if not overall.

At Rolex 24 this year even the Mazda booth could have been confused with a luxury marque. It was very impressive, as their merchandise. They are paying attention to the details.

Trexus, IS-SV, flexus and 3 others like this.
  20. Motor