2019 BMW 3 Series (G20)

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I'm completely serious - I think this thing's ugly. They'll sell millions to upwardly mobile hipsters who don't know they're supposed to demand a manual and who've never driven an E46 though :)

i find it interesting how previous version is suddenly horrible and this new one is wow. 6 months ago F30 was the bestest vehicle ever.

Personally styling is derivative and interior is very boring and simple.

Supposedly there is something very advanced about it. I still did not find out what exactly. Whatever it is, it will likely not be on 95% of 3 series sold worldwide.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
Next BMW M3 Could Get a Manual After All, or Even Go AWD
According to a thin report in BMW Blog.

This is from a single anonymous source and definitely worth taking with a grain of salt, but the word on the street is that BMW’s still examining its options for the next M3 and hasn’t ruled out a manual gearbox entirely:

The future car is currently being developed and in this early stage of engineering, the people in Munich have some rather hard decisions to make. Some rumors started floating online not long ago, saying that the new M3 might be turned all-wheel drive and that despite that, a choice for a manual gearbox might still be alive at this point. We certainly heard a lot of stories about the topic so we decided to check with our sources in Munich to see if they have any backing.

Lo and behold, these rumors are actually true. According to our own sources, BMW M is still considering a number of choices for the upcoming M3 and M4. Whereas the manual gearbox had seemed to be dead in the water due to the low demand and obvious performance drawbacks, it seems like BMW isn’t ready to drop it altogether. What seemed like a certainty not long ago, is now no longer seen as a sure thing.

We expect the next M3 will continue using a powerful twin-turbo inline-six like the current car, rather than switch to something insane like the high-revving V8 it once had. And while the current M3's DCT is good—as is that aforementioned ZF automatic—it’d be truly wonderful for BMW’s performance benchmark sedan to keep the stick as an option. After all, if the M3 doesn’t have a manual gearbox anymore, why should any of its competitors bother?

But this, to me, is the even more interesting part:

BMW is also trying to figure out whether the car offered should be all-wheel drive or remain RWD as tradition dictates.

Remember the current M5 has gone all-wheel drive only, and also packs an eight-speed auto as its sole transmission choice. I wouldn’t be shocked if BMW went the same route with the M3, as it’s the most efficient way to put a ton of power down.

https://jalopnik.com/so-youre-saying-theres-a-chance-next-bmw-m3-could-get-1830222687

A slightly smaller M5.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
340i has now debuted. 382hp is nice but this front end is absolutely awful :no_mouth:

2020-bmw-m340i-1.jpg

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/11/13/2020-bmw-m340i-la-auto-show-987462511/#slide-7466462

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I don't want to hear word one about Lexus having overly aggressive front ends after this, this... thing.

ETA: it's not better from any other angle, either. The back reminds me of late-80s GM for reasons I can't quite put a finger on.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I don't want to hear word one about Lexus having overly aggressive front ends after this, this... thing.

ETA: it's not better from any other angle, either. The back reminds me of late-80s GM for reasons I can't quite put a finger on.

Agreed... it's crazy how subtle and refined the spindle looks compared to this.

I think this new 3er reeks of "We need to make our cars cooler/bolder/louder." Well, they did that... but that doesn't mean better looking. It almost gives me an Asian OEM rice vibe.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
BMW Reveals Plug-In Hybrid 330e With Up To 288HP And 37 Miles Of Electric Range
The new BMW 330e combines the company’s latest eDrive technology with a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder petrol engine.

The petrol engine produces 181hp (184PS/135kW) while the electric motor adds a constant 67hp (68PS / 50kW). The latter however features a peak output of 107hp (109PS / 80kW), which will come handy in a moment. BMW says the combined output of the new 330e’s plug-in hybrid powertrain is rated at 248hp (252PS) and 309lb-ft (420Nm).

The highlight of the new electrified powertrain is BMW’s new XtraBoost function, which is enabled via the Sport driving mode. That makes the electric motor contribute up to 40hp (41PS) over its constant peak output, better supporting the petrol engine in dynamic driving conditions. That translates into a combined peak output of 288hp.
https://www.carscoops.com/2018/11/bmw-reveals-plug-hybrid-330e-288hp-37-miles-electric-range/

741a9c16-2019-bmw-330e-11.jpg

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The last desirable 3 Series was the E9X. This one, as the previous one, just does not make me want.

Last edited:

MichaelL

Follower
Reactions
The last desirable 3 Series was the E9X. This one, as the previous one, just does not make me want.
Me either. For me the last two have been too big. I am tired of all models growing every redesign. For example, what is the point of a 7 series? Just buy the 5 it is huge already!

mikeavelli

Reactions
Its crazy to think how times have changed. In the past anytime a new 3 series debuted it was the talk of the automotive town. With this one its like it didn't even launch. There doesn't seem to be any excitement at all. I've seen a few now and they are rather bland to the eyes. Something that usually is very crisp and sharp.

Will1991

Reactions
BMW appears to have started testing for BEV 3 series:

This comes to show what I said about the other day, they probably won't beat the TM3, but at least they're trying and BMW buyers will certainly let go some of the performance from the Tesla to stay with a BMW.

Toyota/Lexus should do it as well.