2019 BMW 3 Series (G20)

Motor

Expert
Reactions
https://www.carscoops.com/2018/10/2019-bmw-3-series-g20-this-is-it/

Picked up by the BimmerPost forum and brought to our attention by reader Al, the configurator shows various models in the 3 Series lineup, including the range-topping M340i, the M Sport Package, the Sport Line, as well as various interior configurations.

The M340i and M Sport Package cars shown in the gallery display the most aggressive aero kit, with large side intakes in the front bumper and creases that flow from the headlights.

The models also feature sharper side sills and a vented rear bumper with two round exhaust tips (330i M Sport Package) or trapezoidal exhausts (M340i) on each side. Finally, there are four new exterior colors available: Dravit Grey, Tansanit Blue II, Citrin Black II, and Vermont Bronze.

As for the interior, we get to see the 12.3-inch configurable digital instrument panel once again, the 10.25-inch central touchscreen display, the new sports seats, the new controls for the climate control area, and the new steering wheels.

4cccb93f-2019-bmw-3-series-vermont-bronze.jpg

83e5207c-2019-bmw-3-series-m-sport-package-3.jpg

3125d371-2019-bmw-3-series-interior-13.jpg

:expressionless:

Reactions
Internet is giving them hell over that "Lexus rear end," but I think it's a nice design overall.

I love that. Now fangirls won't complain how Lexus looks similar to other OEM's (that's not even true but people still make garbage assumptions). Look's like BMW just threw out the baby with the bathwater.

C-Class side profile? Check.
Peugeot headlights? Check.
Lexus taillights? Check.
Overdone front bumper like the Z4? Check.
Overall shape like a G70? Check.
Uglier wheels than a Honda? Check.

RIP beautiful BMW 3-Series design. This is the ugliest 3-Series I have ever seen, and I would have never thought I would say that. Good for us though, now if fangirls want to trash Lexus, this car has joined the lineup of others that are considerably uglier than Lexus' design language.

This car is a mistake.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
Internet is giving them hell over that "Lexus rear end"
I love that. Now fangirls won't complain how Lexus looks similar to other OEM's (that's not even true but people still make garbage assumptions).

Lexus taillights? Check.

RIP beautiful BMW 3-Series design. This is the ugliest 3-Series I have ever seen, and I would have never thought I would say that. Good for us though, now if fangirls want to trash Lexus, this car has joined the lineup of others that are considerably uglier than Lexus' design language.

This car is a mistake.

I agree :thumbsup:You won't confuse it with a 5 or 7 Series.

c022c75db5abc4a6f16b6fd12c4da8ad41c555c656a62a2e2d7917b521dfb1c7.jpg

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Very RC.

Also, interior seems too simple... keep in mind these are top editions shown.

@Gecko what about new 3 series having new digital combo meters before 7? :)

mikeavelli

Reactions
I just can't get into any of the new designs... that c pillar/rear droop treatment reminds me too much of the C/E class... front end is busy.. sides are busy..

Hopefully it translates better in person. I think the sedan market is so competitive today you really can't offer a miss at this point especially with people just jumping to SUVs.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I think the sedan market is so competitive today you really can't offer a miss at this point especially with people just jumping to SUVs.

How is it competitive, with so many jumping ship to SUVs? Or are you referring to the inevitable scramble for the comparatively few sedan customers left ? (like me) ;)

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
How is it competitive, with so many jumping ship to SUVs? Or are you referring to the inevitable scramble for the comparatively few sedan customers left ? (like me) ;)

yeah, with so many jumping ship, it is more competitive than ever before.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
Official videos cont...

Press videos

It's slowly growing on me, but the C class still looks better inside and out, IMO.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Interior looks far better, it looks cleaner and simpler, but the dashboard to door transition continues to be cheap looking. Exterior is Honda Civic ugly. Other than the B58 that is not available with manual anymore, this car does not interest me anymore and is not worth it.

Last edited:

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I remember back when the final design for this was approved in November 2015 and the over-exaggerated description of what the G20 looked like. Even more shocking, when within just six weeks the first mules were seen testing in January 2016, but those of course were based probably on mostly the F30.

Compared to the last few generations of 3 Series since 1998, this one took an outstandingly long time to develop. The 1998 E46 only required about 36 months and last gen F30 35 months. Yet, this one will equal 40 months to develop into a driveable and certified car. And by that I don't mean start to finish, but from mid-point. BMW is upping the lead times on the latest cars, which makes for greater risk of product stagnation.

The interior materials feel good, but I am disappointed in the omission of the 6MT on the M340i. Up close, it is not really impressive either nor what I expected after the past 3 years of waiting to see it. Adrian Van Hooydonk has led BMW long enough and needs to step down.

Without Chris Bangle's direction like in the 1990s, he's been a terribly lacklustre leader hyper-focused on the "i" sub-brand. At the end of the day anyone at BMW has to answer to him regarding body design, ditto for other BMW Group brands.

Despite that Karim Habib, ex-BMW Brand Design director and current Infiniti design chief was responsible though for the day--to-day design work at BMW brand from mid 2012 to January 2017, so only a few 2016 models and everything else through MY 2021 will have his influence.

Since that role "BMW Group Design Director" was created for Chris Bangle in 2004 (to drive him away from direct involvement at BMW Brand design day-to-day) and later handed to the incumbent Adrian Van Hooydonk, the same aesthetic has appeared since about 2009 on BMW cars, as the guy at the top has a firm not so inventive grip and from what I can tell, perhaps Habib did as well. Plainly put, I am not sure why he is still there.

As even though his Group Design Director was meant to separate him from daily activities, it is clear that between him, the Quandt family, and CEO Kruger, the very people in charge of daily design work (Brand Design director and below) are essentially powerless and forced to churn out mundane looking product and have hardly any say so.

Habib's replacement will not make any headway with the next 7-Series, now wrapping up design work, unless the Adrian Van Hooydonk steps down or overruled.

Even among the 3 G20 design proposals for final selection in November 2015, this one read not remarkable and surely enough I was right years later. I only can hope the M3 will make up for it all.

Last edited:

Motor

Expert
Reactions
BMW Is Tired Of Your S#!t
https://jalopnik.com/bmw-is-tired-of-your-****-1829635007
As if to preempt critics who say the all-new 2019 BMW 3 Series won’t be as good as the old BMW, development chief Klaus Frohlich gave a surprisingly and unusually candid interview to Australia’s Motoring at the recent Paris Motor Show in which he said, emphasis mine:

“It has to beat everybody in the segment in driving dynamics because all the Australian, UK and American journalists say ‘ooh the E46 CSL was the last real 3 Series’,” Frohlich told motoring.com.au. “I do not want to hear that **** anymore.”

Anyway, Frohlich swears that we have nothing to worry about with this new G20 3 Series, which he says is still BMW’s most important car in terms of volume and setting the “character” for the rest of the lineup:

First thing and this is for me the most important thing; you can drive fast and completely relaxed. You don’t feel how fast you are. Second thing and this thing is a big achievement; this car is much more valuable, it has much better materials and it is solid like a rock.

From the comfort it is more like a 5 Series, because this cluster architecture is so, so stiff; for example 50 per cent stiffness increase between front axle and bulkhead, 30 per cent overall stiffness [increase].

You do not only feel it in driving, you feel it in ride comfort.

But despite Frohlich’s clear frustration at having to fight nostalgia with every new product, trepidation is warranted here—not only is this G20 the largest 3 ever, by far, it’s also the first one to deploy without a manual transmission in the U.S. market, something that still feels like a betrayal of the base.

Anyway, BMW would appreciate it if you (and journalists) would quit bringing up the damn E46, thanks very much.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
2020 BMW M3 Sharpens Up
https://www.carscoops.com/2018/10/2020-bmw-m3-sharpens-sheds-camo-puts-production-lights/
Our spy photographers snapped a 2020 BMW M3 at the Nürburgring wearing a lighter wrap than before. Compared to earlier sightings when the M3 featured temporary prototype lights, this one sports the production headlights and taillights.

Rumor has it the power plant will deliver between 465 and 493 horsepower (471-500 PS), channeled to the rear wheels via a standard six-speed manual or optional eight-speed automatic transmissions. Some say the M xDrive AWD system from the M5 will be optional as well. Add to that the lower, stiffer M suspension, as well as the lighter weight, and the 2020 M3 should set the bar even higher than its predecessor.

Expect the all-new BMW M3 to debut at the 2019 Frankfurt Auto Show in September and go on sale in early 2020.
ce136c3f-2020-bmw-m3-spy-shots-14.jpg

03e4df40-2020-bmw-m3-spy-shots-20.jpg