2018 RX 350 New Mandatory update Completed However....Can't Use Alexa Must buy a New Phone????

Reactions
Just updated to the new version Enform App Suite.

2018 Lexus Rx350 Says you must update Enform Suite on Android Phone.
Updated App On Phone.
Alexa in Enform App Suite on phone reports "Alexa requires a 64 bit OS device for operation. This 32 bit OS device is not compatible"

Why would Lexus do this? As the vehicle is 2018, not 19, not 20
And you can't use Enform App Suite 2.0 on a 2018 RX 350 only 2019 and up.

I will try using Alexa in the RX to see if it will work in the Car.

In the meantime has anyone tried Alexa in their 2018 RX 350 with a 32bit Android OS Phone..or found a work around??

slackrl

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
Why would Lexus do this?

Why wouldn't they? Technology is ever evolving and sadly, whatever technology you have is obsolete almost the moment you purchase it.

It's time to get a new phone if it isn't running 64bit.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
Just updated to the new version Enform App Suite.

2018 Lexus Rx350 Says you must update Enform Suite on Android Phone.
Updated App On Phone.
Alexa in Enform App Suite on phone reports "Alexa requires a 64 bit OS device for operation. This 32 bit OS device is not compatible"

Why would Lexus do this? As the vehicle is 2018, not 19, not 20
And you can't use Enform App Suite 2.0 on a 2018 RX 350 only 2019 and up.

I will try using Alexa in the RX to see if it will work in the Car.

In the meantime has anyone tried Alexa in their 2018 RX 350 with a 32bit Android OS Phone..or found a work around??

slackrl

I dont recommend this AT ALL since its not safe. I repeat DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! BUT if you dont intend to purchase a new phone then you maybe able to get the old apk, install and see if it works.

But if enform is critical to you and YOU WANT THE SAFE METHOD, then new phone is the only way to go at this time.

Reactions
Why wouldn't they? Technology is ever evolving and sadly, whatever technology you have is obsolete almost the moment you purchase it.

It's time to get a new phone if it isn't running 64bit.

Hi Rydo
Thanks for your post and input it is most appreciated.
I worked in the IT field for many years dealing with software and firmware. Technology must evolve that is a given.
Or we would still be driving with the driver side window down giving manual hand turn signals☺.
Hopefully there are drivers out there that still know how to use them LOL.

However the fact is they shouldn't and probably didn't as the technology is not that old and many apps on my phone are still being updated and used. i.e. Lexus Remote, Lexus Enform, Lexus Roadside Assistance, Lexus Driver just received updates with in the past month along with many more apps other than Lexus just hrs ago Technology must evolve that is a given.

I really suspect this is Amazon's doing, as for as I know Lexus does not own Amazon, nor Amazon Lexus.
More like an Amazon's move for more security considering the Alexa breaches in the past. 64 bit code is harder to breach and 32 bit.

It would be interesting to hear from users on ios (i.e. Apple 32 bit devices) to see if they experience the same problem.
A good 32bit phone is not obsolete especially an expensive one.

Just want things for work in these expensive cars we purchased as long as possible.
Have a good one
slackrl

Last edited:
Reactions
I dont recommend this AT ALL since its not safe. I repeat DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! BUT if you dont intend to purchase a new phone then you maybe able to get the old apk, install and see if it works.

But if enform is critical to you and YOU WANT THE SAFE METHOD, then new phone is the only way to go at this time.
Hi suxel
Thanks for your post and input it is also most appreciated.

As stated in the above post
I really suspect this is Amazon's doing, as for as I know Lexus does not own Amazon, nor Amazon Lexus.
More like an Amazon's move for more security considering the Alexa breaches in the past. 64 bit code is harder to breach and 32 bit

I agree this would be risky in this internet interconnected Jetson's age, as one's car could be hacked and commandeered.

For me this is more of an I T curiosity a look and see if and older version of Alexia would work, which by the way at one time I had on my phone and removed it..
Again I suspect Amazon just doesn't want to invest the time in make the 32bit version more secure.

Just a matter of principal. Between Amazon and Lexus something could have been said as to why this move was made ; Good customer relations (Human beings can play nice, this is something more businesses should return to, it helps in making return customers.)..
After all We do support these companies by the goods and services we afford them and we benefit from their goods and services in return.

Case and point most of us here do enjoy driving a Lexus vehicle..

Just wanting to speak out ....., 🤫maybe Lexus is listening... There are times when we loose much, because we say nothing.

I'm done venting and crying over spilled milk now, (big old baby) 😭.

To All have a great day and stay safe.

slackrl

Last edited:

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
Yea unfortunately all mobile ecosystems have made the shift into the 64bit game (apple first in 2014) then as of last August Android requiring that new apps support 64bit natively. While Amazon could support 32 bit, the majority of all users are probably using 64 bit processors (from my understanding androids last 32 bit flagship was 2014).

What mobile device are you working with currently? I know that older devices still work in form for most tasks users have, but the rapid development rates of mobile devices leave functional hardware without proper software to run.

Reactions
Thanks for the tech info update. My IT experience was was mainly in Education IS using pc / pc server platform with Staff iPads and android tablets for student use. I retired in 2018.

If memory serves I purchased this phone in late 2018. I purchased my Rx350 in 2018.
(Updated the purchase date as the phone reports a warranty date in Dec 2018)

The Phone is a Verizon / LG K20V.
A sleek looking inexpensive LG cell phone.
I remember searching the Toyota site and phone sites trying to find a Phone that would match/work with a 2015 Rav4 and this phone works well with it. Then when I purchased the Rx350 if work flawlessly with the Lexus.

So I will pass this one on temporarily to my wife who does not care for tech so much, it will serve her then I will upgrade her phone.

slackrl

Last edited:

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
Interesting, your device is new enough that its hardware and software both are 64 bit complaint. Dont know why the playstore is saying its not.

If your not interested in going down that troubleshoot rabbit hole, pick up a newer pixel device from google (long term support reasons) or apple (long term support). Its the easy yet simple way out.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
1) Playstore requirements for this device is Android 7.x. Double check you are on the latest system update of your phone.

Last edited:
Reactions
Your last posts are beginning to shed a lot of light on this situation.
With a little poking around things come to the surface.
I'll take the troubleshooting route 1st It might work save me a few bucks.

The Phone is a Verizon Prepaid Phone.
So I suspect this is a Verizon update issue more that an LG one.
I know some carriers are slow to update / pass on the Mfg's update because they want to modify/tweak the update to make it
uniquely their own branding, or stop updating all together which appears to be my case.
And sometimes you will get better service/features if you take full plan price rather than prepaid.

So checking the phone I find....
Model is LG K20 V / Verizon VS5501 (made for Verizon by LG)
OS Android 7.0 Verizon ver. VS511DA
Last update Security Patch Level March 1, 2019

So within a little over a year, Verizon stopped auto updating/patching this phone 😒.
Running an update (today 7/19/2020) via phone and Verizon Network reports:
" Your LG VS5501 is up to date. No update is necessary at this time. ok"

My apologies to Lexus and Amazon.
Update

There is an android version higher then 7.0... Android 7.1.2.
For some reason LG / Verizon choose not to continue the patching for this phone.

I checked Verizon's website which list all the their cell phone models, to see if there is a newer/latest version for download.
Here's a snippet of what it says.....
LG K20™ V Software Update
Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce a software update for your device. This software update has been tested to help optimize device performance, resolve known issues and apply the latest security patches.

Before you download:
  • Connect your device to a Wi-Fi network, or make sure it has a strong Verizon Wireless network connection.
  • Ensure your battery is fully charged before starting the software update.
System Update 12
The details:
Release date: 03/20/2019
Android™ Security Patch Level: March 1, 2019
Software Version: VS5011DA

What's changing:
The current software update gives you the most up to date Android security patches on your device.
Good thing I keep virus and malware scanners on this phone😬
In the meantime I hope this tread will be at the least educational and a help to others as it has been for me.
Looks like I'll be shopping for a new phone... and yes it will be prepaid again for the time being LOL😁
Who knows if Verizon stays true to form I'll have at least a year of safety...but I hope it will be more.

suxeL..
I have thoroughly enjoyed your input an suggestions on this tread, truly this is what having forums is about......
Shared knowledge among common folks.
Keep up the good work! Remember Jesus Loves You!

slackrl

Last edited: