2018 Lexus RX 7 Seater vs 2018 Acura MDX 7 Seater

mikeavelli

Reactions

Here are my words from the video... I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Cliffs- Both are 7 seat, not 7 adult so the third rows are best for kids and children. RX has more luxurious features the MDX has a bit more headroom and hip room. Both third row legroom is IMO the same.

Here is something I think quite a few people will find interesting. As you know the RX created the unibody Luxury SUV segment and has dominated since 1999 but it has always been a 5 seater. The Acura MDX debuted a couple of years later and has always been a 7 seater. While Lexus has offered the 7 seat GX and the flagship 8 seat LX, consumers and dealers have begged for a 7 seat RX for years. It is finally here!! My review is in no way a diss to either when you realize I couldn't fit. I am 6 feet 5 inches tall and over 250lbs. No way I was going to fit but for smaller adults and for kids you can definitely use the third row.

We have a RX and LX currently and a 7 seat RX would make a ton of sense for my wife when we have company and if we didn't have the LX. Overall the exterior shape surprised me of the RX, it didn't change too much and still looks very distinctive. I loved the luxurious features like they are power folding compared to the manuel MDX. Also the RX has third row HVAC controls which surely will come in handy. I did love the MDX having hidden rear storage and those great buttons that make entering and leaving the third row a no brainer. As for room both are tight, I felt the MDX had a tad more headroom and was a tad wider but not enough to sway me away from the RX. That surprised me. To me the Infiniti Q60 has the largest third row of the bunch here (I've had a ton of experience driving it but its not in this comparo). Another bonus for the RX is with the additional length added to the rear there is more cargo room. Even the standard RX actually has quite a bit of cargo room as I've used ours to move a couple of times. The focus for this video was on the third rows. There are tons of videos comparing the two overall.

Overall while both are cramped and obviously a van makes a ton more sense for room I was pleasantly surprised the RX is not too far away in terms of space from the MDX which is a bit larger. The RX also offers the usual Lexus upgrades over its competition. Without a doubt this is going to be a big seller for Lexus and a great addition to the current RX family.

Reactions
I truly found the video very informative and I was debating the RXL or the MDX I have an RX now but need a little more space and the GX is just to dated for me on the interior.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I truly found the video very informative and I was debating the RXL or the MDX I have an RX now but need a little more space and the GX is just to dated for me on the interior.

Thank you, glad you found it informative. I wasn't attempting to choose one over the other, just to showcase both, particularly the rears.

Reactions
I have a 2016 MDX Advance and last week we went to look at the 2018 RX 350 for my wife because that is what I thought she wanted. We purchased a 2018 NX 300 because my wife wanted the smaller vehicle. This is our first Lexus.
I did not test drive the RX, but the interior size is very comparable. As they stated the 3rd row is not for adults in either vehicle.
Being an 2016 MDX owner( I still have the vehicle) I would give a slight advantage to the 2018 RX for exterior style.