2017 Audi S4 Ditches the Supercharger for a Turbo

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
2017 Audi S4 Debuts At 2015 Frankfurt Auto Show
audi-s4_100527662_h.jpg

Joining the new A4 sedan in showrooms next year will be the sporty S4 variant, which made its debut today at the 2015 Frankfurt Auto Show in both sedan and Avant wagon bodystyles. We’ll only be getting the sedan, which Audi says will run from 0-62 mph in 4.7 seconds and easily reach its governed top speed of 155 mph.

The S4 still features a 3.0-liter V-6, however, the previous model’s supercharger has been replaced by a turbocharger. Sadly, there isn’t any electrical assistance for the turbo, as had been rumored. Nevertheless, the newly developed engine spits out a stout 354 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque, with the latter delivered from 1,300 all the way up to 4,500 rpm.

The engine is paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission, and drive is to all four wheels via a permanent all-wheel-drive system. During normal driving conditions, 60 percent of the drive torque is sent to the rear wheels to create a rear-biased feel for the S4. However, when needed, up to 70 percent of the torque can be sent to the front wheels and as much as 85 percent can be sent to the rear. Audi’s Sport Differential is available; this allows the torque to also be distributed between the rear wheels as well.

Also aiding handling is the sports-tuned suspension. The new setup is 0.9 of an inch lower than on the A4, and to further improve its performance there is an available set of active dampers. The performance of the suspension, along with various other dynamic settings, can be controlled from the cabin with the Audi Drive Select system, which is fitted as standard. The standard wheels and tires are 18-inch alloys with 245/40-size rubber.

Being based on the latest MLB Evo platform, the S4, like the new A4 and Q7, benefits from lightweight construction and an extensive package of the latest technologies. The intelligent use of high-strength composite materials in the body leads to exceptional rigidity. Yet the car is also light, weighing in at less than 3,600 lbs—not bad for a luxury sedan with all-wheel drive.

Inside the cabin are supportive bucket seats for the driver and front passenger. The trim is a combination of pearl Nappa leather and Alcantara in the colors Ebony, Rotor Gray and Magma Red. The standard inlays are made of matte brushed aluminum. Details such as the illuminated door sill trims with S4 logos, the embossing in the seats, and the special S4 start screen further set the S4 apart from the regular A4.

A conventional gauge cluster is standard but Audi is offering its 12.3-inch Virtual Cockpit digital cluster as an option. Other tech options include the MMI Navigation Plus infotainment system, Audi Connect high-speed Internet and a Bang & Olufsen premium audio system with 3D sound.

On top of this, there is also a wide range of driver assistance systems. In addition to the conventional lane departure and blind spot warning systems, there is also adaptive cruise control with a traffic crawl function (works up to 40 mph), a traffic sign recognition system, and an efficiency system that helps you to drive more efficiently, for example with optimal gear change prompts.

Source: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1026081_2017-audi-s4-debuts-at-2015-frankfurt-auto-show

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Except for the typical-Audi oversized grille, I like the conservative, restrained styling that doesn't overdo it with droop-down rooflines and Peek-a-Boo slit-windows. And it's nice to see that it still has a V6.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Pretty much as expected, including replacing parasitic supercharger with turbo. I expect 6 or 8 at this price range like the top tier competitors.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Pretty much as expected, including replacing parasitic supercharger with turbo. I expect 6 or 8 at this price range like the top tier competitors.

Superchargers do have some advantages over turbos (which you're probably aware of, so I won't list them here), but the quest for gas mileage will soon probably have just about all of them replaced with turbos. GM had an excellent supercharged 3.8L V6 for years, but that one, of course, also folded.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Superchargers do have some advantages over turbos (which you're probably aware of, so I won't list them here), but the quest for gas mileage will soon probably have just about all of them replaced with turbos. GM had an excellent supercharged 3.8L V6 for years, but that one, of course, didn't last either.

Yes we all know that about superchargers (some here have driven them extensively) , and about the poor gas mileage of the supercharged GM V6's too.

Agreed, supercharged mainstream premium sedans are well on way to extinction.

mikeavelli

Reactions
It also drops the DSG transmission for a conventional automatic. I also think they dropped the manual.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
354 horsepower, 3600 pounds, 8 speed tranny, AWD, sounds great on paper...

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
It also drops the DSG transmission for a conventional automatic. I also think they dropped the manual.

What I've heard from some Audi reps is that the company wants to gradually drop the DSG / S-Tronic gearbox from the American market because it is difficult and costly to build and difficult for technicians to service/maintain or repair. Yet this doesn't prevent them from offering even more of a line of S-Tronics in Europe than they do here. Go Figure. :confused:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
The DSG's are known for reliability problems and do require more frequent maintenance. They are generally not repaired, but replaced with a remanufactured unit (that sounds kind of expensive).

I think the real reason is driveability issues, common VW and Audi complaints at slower speeds with DSG, not something that lux car makers want to hear about from owners. American drivers are probably more sensitive to this jerkiness while creeping in heavy traffic conditions. VW and Audi are not the only companies to experience customer driveability complaints with their versions of these trannys.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The DSG's are known for reliability problems and do require more frequent maintenance. They are generally not repaired, but replaced with a remanufactured unit (that sounds kind of expensive).

Agreed....in a number of cases, replacement or remanufacturing may be more feasible than repair, especially where warranty coverage from the manufacturer is concerned.

I think the real reason is driveability issues, common VW and Audi complaints at slower speeds with DSG, not something that lux car makers want to hear about from owners.

What is interesting, though, is that early versions of the VW/Audi DSG were seamless.....IMO as smooth or smoother than a conventional torque-converter automatic (and, of course, more efficient). Whatever drivability problems there are seem to be are on later versions. Again, go figure. :confused:

You probably already know the difference, but for some people, a twin-clutch DSG should not be confused with a SMG (sequential manual gearbox) which is basically a conventional manual transmission (and one clutch), which is computer-shifted and operated. They never really were perfected (BMW probably had the most well-known ones) and often tended to be rough and banging in their shifts.

Back to Audi....and the topic: How do you feel about the supercharger-turbo shift? Do you think is is a good move? Both, of course, have advantages and disadvantages. I can see one advantage, though, from a MPG standpoint.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
^ Yes, it's pretty common knowledge with very significant number of reported incidents over the years with slow speed driveability (jerkiness, etc.) on VW/Audi DSG's, including the early model years of these trannys. Other automakers have plenty of customers complaining of the same problem(s). The premium Lexus and Mercedes conventional automatics are smoother than Audi/VW/other DSG's. Mazda when designing new Skyactiv automatics purposely avoided DSG recently for reasons mentioned. And Lexus with IS-F showed the premium hi perf car segment how good a conventional automatic can be. The weight and complexity of DSG is also noteworthy as automakers strive for better fuel efficiency. Looks like Audi is seeing things same way.

Shift to turbo makes sense to me, MPG differences without parasitic supercharges are biggest plus for the automaker. Bad lag problems and durability problems previously associated with turbochargers are a mostly a thing of the past, new turbocharger technology is much better. In the lux car segment, quietness of the turbo setup is a plus too. Yes, I think it's a good move.