2016 Toyota Avalon Revealed in Chicago

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
2015cas-2016-toyota-avalon-001.jpg

2015cas-2016-toyota-avalon-002.jpg

2015cas-2016-toyota-avalon-003.jpg

2015cas-2016-toyota-avalon-004.jpg

The 2013 Toyota Avalon made big news back when it was introduced in 2012 because it was, well, pretty. The Avalon showed the world that a big, cushy Toyota sedan did not have to be rolling equivalent of sensible shoes. But alas, Toyota’s designers just couldn’t leave the Avalon well enough alone for its 2016 refresh, shown for the first time alongside a sporty new Corolla and Camry Special Edition models at the 2015 Chicago auto show.

The changes are, by and large, subtle. The most overt of them involve the Avalon’s wider grille, which ditches the current model’s big, gleaming grin in favor of a wider, more aggressive shape. The current model’s fog lamps disappear in favor of vertical turn signals, and the headlamp innards have been slightly redesigned, too, including dual-wing LED running lamps on Touring models.

Out back, all Avalons feature new taillamps and new chrome garnishes on the rear bumper. We’re not sure we like the 2016 model’s styling more or less than the successful 2013–2015 model; this seems more a case of making change for change’s sake.

No changes have been made to the Avalon’s silky, 268-hp V-6 or fuel-sipping hybrid powertrains, however, so we don’t expect much of a change in performance or fuel efficiency of either model. You can expect a slight change in ride comfort, as the Avalon’s suspension has been retuned “to better align with diverse customer preferences.”

This loosely translates into a softer ride for all but the Touring model, which will likely firm up for a “more dynamic and responsive driving experience,” says Toyota. We’ll have to take Toyota’s word that the changes represent “significant improvements over the current production Avalon” until we get a chance to try the new Avalon out for ourselves.

The Avalon model line has grown from four to five for 2016, all of which now come standard with Toyota’s Entune audio system with a seven-inch touchscreen. The base V-6 model remains the XLE, but an XLE Plus model was added for 2016 with a few more standard comfort features. Further up the line is the XLE Premium, which adds tech goodies like a navigation system and a wireless device charging system.

The sportier Touring model wears a unique front fascia, LED headlamp bulbs and redesigned dark gray 18-inch wheels, while the top-of-the-line Limited grade gets 18-inch chrome wheels (hybrid models get 17 inchers) as well as optional safety items including radar cruise control and collision and lane departure warnings.

Incidentally, Avalon hybrid models will be offered only in XLE Plus, XLE Premium and Limited trim levels.

Pricing for the 2016 Avalon has not yet been announced, nor has Toyota said when the new Avalon will be on dealer lots. But if we were bettin’ folk, we’d say that the Avalon will be on the road by summer at prices not far from the $33,310—$42,545 price range of the current model.

Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/auto-shows/chicago-auto-show-2016-toyota-avalon-article-1.2112405

;)

mikeavelli

Reactions
Absolutely fabulous inside and out...I'll never forget seeing my first one on a road trip and I honestly was shocked to find out it was an Avalon....

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
hopefully next gen Avensis or Camry use this design, just smaller. Avensis is probably going to die off by 2018, about the same time when new Camry is coming out.

bnizzle87

Fan
Reactions
Beautiful. Proud to own an Avalon, but it gets nicer from an interior perspective year after year. The detail to the headlights is very attractive for this particular model.

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
I have a soft spot for Avalon. I inherited one from my family going through college. 1995 Avalon XLS in Diamond White Pearl w/Adobe Leather Interior. It was one great and silky car with a then powerful 1MZ-FE 3.0L V6. The new Avalon is great...and is definitely more appealing than ever before.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Very subtle MMC, but a sharp one nonetheless. They made all-important suspension changes, which I think were much needed. Now you have the regular Avalon back to being a comfortable cruiser, and the Touring model for those who want more handling, response, and a firm ride.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
You can expect a slight change in ride comfort, as the Avalon’s suspension has been retuned “to better align with diverse customer preferences.”

This loosely translates into a softer ride for all but the Touring model, which will likely firm up for a “more dynamic and responsive driving experience,” says Toyota. We’ll have to take Toyota’s word that the changes represent “significant improvements over the current production Avalon” until we get a chance to try the new Avalon out for ourselves.

In plain English, it simply means that, for most of the Avalon's customer-base (who tend to shun sports-sedans), they stiffened the suspension and tires too much with the last redesign....even some auto enthusiast magazines agreed. At least they are acknowledging it now, and reserving the stiffness (properly) only for the Touring model. When I reviewed and test-drove a new Avalon last year, the stiff (for the class) ride was one of several disappointments I found with it.....others being the very thin feel to the exterior sheet metal (which will probably be easily dinged and dented) and an overly light, thin feel to some interior hardware and controls....particularly the glove box door/latch and the very loose-feeling heated-seat controls on the console.

In fairness, though (and there are two sides to every vehicle), the car does have some very good features...a typical Toyota/Lexus first-class exterior paint job, some nice-looking trim inside (if a flimsy feel to it), and the typical Toyota/Lexus well-engineered, silky-smooth and refined V6/automatic transmission combination.

Last edited:

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
The Chief Engineer of Avalon is Randy Stephens. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the Avalon press event a few years ago in Napa. I got a chance to talk to him extensively and he did mention to me he is a VW guy at heart. He also did mention during the time of development, they used many benchmark cars and his favorite was the Audi A8, hence some of the styling cues and the stiff sporty driving dynamic of the car. I'm a fan of both Avalon and ES, but in reality, I feel the Avalon is better looking inside and out and feels more substantial in terms of fit and finish.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
The Chief Engineer of Avalon is Randy Stephens. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the Avalon press event a few years ago in Napa. I got a chance to talk to him extensively and he did mention to me he is a VW guy at heart. He also did mention during the time of development, they used many benchmark cars and his favorite was the Audi A8, hence some of the styling cues and the stiff sporty driving dynamic of the car. I'm a fan of both Avalon and ES, but in reality, I feel the Avalon is better looking inside and out and feels more substantial in terms of fit and finish.

Thanks for that wonderful info. To be honest, that's a bit disappointing that he's a VW guy at heart, and that he seemingly tuned the Avalon originally based on such personal preferences. The important thing though is that Toyota listened to owners and customers and softened up the suspension and improved comfort of the base model for the refreshed 2016 Avalon, and left the firmer settings/ride for the Touring model only.

I hope for future models, Chief Engineers at Toyota don't stray too far from what existing customers want, compared to trying to attract new customers.