2016 Lexus RX 350 & RX 450h Preview from Lexus Enthusiast

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
My point is, I should be able to order what I want especially if the vehicle is 60k or so. Why are F-Sport buyers continuing to be pigeonholed into aluminum trim only and lack of th luxury package options.

Well, for 60K, I certainly agree on a wider choice of sport-oriented trims...see my reply above to Diver.California.

Reactions
With BMW, you can choose a M Sport package with Fine Wood or Aluminum. Obviously, you'd have to more than likely special order it than be lucky to find exactly what you want on your dealer lot. I would think most Lexus owners would be thrilled to order their own bespoke model than have to settle for the car being "built a certain way" for each region, etc. that is found on the dealer lots.

I know that you can special order, but Lexus should allow the whole palette of available options to ALL models, rather than just specific grades like F-Sport or Hybrid, etc.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Well, for 60K, I certainly agree on a wider choice of sport-oriented trims...see my reply above to Diver.California.

Have they released official pricing yet? Because 60k for the RX is a bit unfeasible.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Have they released official pricing yet? Because 60k for the RX is a bit unfeasible.

No pricing yet, but it was announced that the RX 350 would start well below $45k USD.

Also heard that the RX hybrid pricing will be "interesting". No clarification, but I would guess at a RX 350/RX 450h pricing spread similar to the ES, where choosing between hybrid and gasoline is a personal choice and not a financial one.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
No pricing yet, but it was announced that the RX 350 would start well below $45k USD.

Also heard that the RX hybrid pricing will be "interesting". No clarification, but I would guess at a RX 350/RX 450h pricing spread similar to the ES, where choosing between hybrid and gasoline is a personal choice and not a financial one.

Sounds like it might (?) be something like what Lincoln does with the mid-sized MKZ sedan....give both the hybrid and gas versions the same base price.

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
One of the reasons why I ever chose Lexus is precisely for its simplicity in choices.
I understand that the choices are limited, but Lexus must not go the same way as BMW, Merc, Audi,... please not.
Have you ever tried to put together your own (BMW,...) car? Do you know the meaning of each option? Frankly, I do not, and yet I know anything about cars.
So yes, there may be more options, but best not to overdo it.
The 'standard' Lexus edition has by default always more then the 'basic' of a... BMW. Just try to add the missing 'standard' features on a BMW, I wish you good luck.
And don't forget anything, because that would be unfortunate. :mad:

Och

Admirer
Reactions
One of the reasons why I ever chose Lexus is precisely for its simplicity in choices.
I understand that the choices are limited, but Lexus must not go the same way as BMW, Merc, Audi,... please not.
Have you ever tried to put together your own (BMW,...) car? Do you know the meaning of each option? Frankly, I do not, and yet I know anything about cars.
So yes, there may be more options, but best not to overdo it.
The 'standard' Lexus edition has by default always more then the 'basic' of a... BMW. Just try to add the missing 'standard' features on a BMW, I wish you good luck.
And don't forget anything, because that would be unfortunate. :mad:

Yes, options on BMWs can be ridiculously confusing, especially when it comes to software features such as office, apps, remote services, etc. Most salespeople don't understand these features themselves, and don't explain them to customers.

But things such as types of trim and colors are pretty simple, and there is no reason for Lexus not to offer wood trim on F sport models. Especially with the absolutely epic new wood trim types that they introduced on the new RX.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I have been waiting for this car for over a year. I know I've wanted a RX450h F-Sport for a while, but I'm very disappointed to hear Aluminum is the only trim option on the F-Sport. Visually I like the exterior of the F-Sport much more than the standard 450h, but one of the reasons for buying a Lexus is the beautiful Yamaha created wood on the interior. I want the ability to order my RX450h F-Sport with the Gray Sapele Wood with aluminum striping! This frustrates me a lot more than it should, but I'm buying a Lexus and I want wood on the interior. My only other disappointment is the lack of dual exhaust on the 450h F-Sport. I can understand the reasoning being it's a hybrid. But on the F-Sport model they should just include the exhaust pipes for the look. Lastly I thought I would like the F sport instrument cluster but quite frankly think on an RXh I would prefer the standard instrument cluster which more closely aligns with the type of vehicle it is.

Now I really have to think hard between the RXh and RXh F-Sport. I want the RXh with F-Sport grille + S+ mode, but with the RXh Luxury interior...

You might be better off with Luxury with AVS anyway, you will get the best of both worlds, and it looks good too.

abraxas

Fan
Reactions
The change is too extreme for the 350/450. Lines are too sharp and the grill looks like it could swallow an elephant - it's gaudy.....looks cheap. Interior looks nice. We'll have to see it first hand to make a decent call. I think the new "sharp, sexy look" will appeal to the younger crowd who don't have the money as opposed to the older crowd who do. I tend to buy with cash, the younger crowd will lease so who knows, maybe they'll have good sales. I predict they won't, not anything like what the current 350 is bringing in.

Lexus is undertaking a huge risk that may put off loyal Lexus owners who may end up spending a bit more money and move into something like a Porsche Macan.

Begs the question, why in the hell did Lexus do this?

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I think the new "sharp, sexy look" will appeal to the younger crowd who don't have the money as opposed to the older crowd who do. I tend to buy with cash, the younger crowd will lease so who knows, maybe they'll have good sales. I predict they won't, not anything like what the current 350 is bringing in.

Lexus is undertaking a huge risk that may put off loyal Lexus owners who may end up spending a bit more money and move into something like a Porsche Macan.

Excellent points, abraxas. I've been saying for years that automakers have been all but forgetting what age group usually has the most disposable money and income to spend on new cars......those in their 50s and 60s, at or just before before retirement.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
The change is too extreme for the 350/450. Lines are too sharp and the grill looks like it could swallow an elephant - it's gaudy.....looks cheap. Interior looks nice. We'll have to see it first hand to make a decent call. I think the new "sharp, sexy look" will appeal to the younger crowd who don't have the money as opposed to the older crowd who do. I tend to buy with cash, the younger crowd will lease so who knows, maybe they'll have good sales. I predict they won't, not anything like what the current 350 is bringing in.

Fair points, we'll see what happens. I can be considered to be part of this younger crowd as I'm under 30, but I'm probably a rarity in that I have an old school mentality. I hate leasing myself, and I also buy cars only with cash. At the same time, I absolutely love the styling of the new RX. Styling aside, Lexus did make a number of useful improvements and additions to the new RX (which older luxury buyers will appreciate), unlike certain competitors in the class who are relying more on gimmicks.

abraxas

Fan
Reactions
First hand look will tell whether they've cheapened the look or enhanced it. I like style but I want it elegant and simplistic, kinda like a Volvo but with a bit more luxury and detail. Speaking of cheapening the look, white 350's are a dime a dozen where we live....they are everywhere so we hope to get into a red. That new Matador red doesn't look like a fine looking burgundy but rather like a orangish fireman red you'd see on Ford Focus. :D

Onelog

Follower
Reactions
First hand look will tell whether they've cheapened the look or enhanced it. I like style but I want it elegant and simplistic, kinda like a Volvo but with a bit more luxury and detail. Speaking of cheapening the look, white 350's are a dime a dozen where we live....they are everywhere so we hope to get into a red. That new Matador red doesn't look like a fine looking burgundy but rather like a orangish fireman red you'd see on Ford Focus. :D
You're mixing up your reds there. The "burgundy" you're talking about is called Claret Mica, not Matador Red. And the "fireman red" is actually a newer color called Redline.

Reactions
Excellent points, abraxas. I've been saying for years that automakers have been all but forgetting what age group usually has the most disposable money and income to spend on new cars......those in their 50s and 60s, at or just before before retirement.
This is changing though... at least in my area. Youth spend their money differently and are in better higher paying jobs straight out of college. I'm in my mid 20's and am very excited about purchasing a 2016 450h AWD in a few weeks.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
This is changing though... at least in my area. Youth spend their money differently and are in better higher paying jobs straight out of college. I'm in my mid 20's and am very excited about purchasing a 2016 450h AWD in a few weeks.

Congratulations. :)...... hope you enjoy it. I, too, bought my first brand-new car at age 23....but it certainly wasn't anything in the RX class (and crossover SUVs like the RX didn't exist back then). I had owned a few big or expensive vehicles...but they had all been used.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions

Exactly, around here many educated young professionals (mid 20's to 30's) make 6 digit annual salaries, not to mention other compensation via equity.