2016 Lexus RX 350 & RX 450h Preview from Lexus Enthusiast

RAL

Reactions
with every photo and release i hope to like it more and more. but i just cannot. i have been an RX fan since day one until this model year. The NX is far better than the larger RX, but I can't sacrifice the space and may be moving brands all together. Which after so many under my belt, makes me very sad...I thought I would just keep cycling through the Lexus RX over and over.

Wait until you see it and drive it ... photos never do these vehicles justice.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Certainly Lexus has stepped the game up with the new RX, but it will probably reflect in the price as well and that can easily compromise sales.

Reactions
I can't wait to get this car. If I wanted three rows, I would get a minivan or a huge SUV. The RX350 is Lexus' best seller for a reason. It's the perfect vehicle for a lot of buyers. Please don't change it. There are plenty of 3 row vehicles out there, but only one RX350.

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
I can't wait to get this car. If I wanted three rows, I would get a minivan or a huge SUV. The RX350 is Lexus' best seller for a reason. It's the perfect vehicle for a lot of buyers. Please don't change it. There are plenty of 3 row vehicles out there, but only one RX350.
Lexus has no plans to add a third row to the RX.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I'm with Lexfather; certainly the most thorough and IMO most impressive preview of the new RX. Thank you krew!

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Yeah thanks Krew it's so awesome to come to this site and be able to get such an amazing review (or I suppose preview as of now!)

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-09-10-lexus-rx-videos-400x200.jpg

Lexus International has just released new videos about the all-new fourth-generation RX, and it’s like my technical overview from earlier in the week coming to life.
View the original article post

Hemi

Premium Member
Reactions
Will the hybrid engine has the CVT trasmition or will it be changed somehow? The thing which I would change is the way it shifts gears, it isnt so sporty and the way it accelarates isnt so enjoyable. Thats maybe the only thing which I dont really like on lexus hybrid engines. For example Subaru solved the problem pretty well in its hybrid models.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
lots of good info there, in all of the articles - for instance adjustable height cups, rear electric seats, qi charging (one US media preview said it doesnt have those), active stabilizers, etc, etc.

Reactions
Lexus needs to release these vehicles they just killing me with anticipation

Lexus RX love the red interior with the white outside classy yet sporty

Last edited by a moderator:

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Just a quick note -- I've decided to postpone my review until next week. I came down with a bug, and don't think it's something that needs to be rushed.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Just a quick note -- I've decided to postpone my review until next week. I came down with a bug, and don't think it's something that needs to be rushed.

Hope you recover, Krew. :)

If your system can handle it (I know that one's appetite is sometimes lost with an illness), in addition to the usual treatments/medications, try some good chicken soup and tea with lemon juice and natural honey-sweetener in it instead of table-sugar or the artificial stuff. They are both very good for you when you are under the weather....especially with a cold.

(The deli sections of the better grocery stores often have good freshly-made chicken soup...or at least better than what comes out of the can LOL)

And when you do review the new RX, see if the reps will give out the official release date for us, so we know when to expect it at dealerships. I usually review a Lexus (or similar upmarket-class) vehicle myself each year for the Holiday season, and the new RX looks like a good candidate this year.

Last edited:
Reactions
I have been waiting for this car for over a year. I know I've wanted a RX450h F-Sport for a while, but I'm very disappointed to hear Aluminum is the only trim option on the F-Sport. Visually I like the exterior of the F-Sport much more than the standard 450h, but one of the reasons for buying a Lexus is the beautiful Yamaha created wood on the interior. I want the ability to order my RX450h F-Sport with the Gray Sapele Wood with aluminum striping! This frustrates me a lot more than it should, but I'm buying a Lexus and I want wood on the interior. My only other disappointment is the lack of dual exhaust on the 450h F-Sport. I can understand the reasoning being it's a hybrid. But on the F-Sport model they should just include the exhaust pipes for the look. Lastly I thought I would like the F sport instrument cluster but quite frankly think on an RXh I would prefer the standard instrument cluster which more closely aligns with the type of vehicle it is.

Now I really have to think hard between the RXh and RXh F-Sport. I want the RXh with F-Sport grille + S+ mode, but with the RXh Luxury interior...

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Visually I like the exterior of the F-Sport much more than the standard 450h, but one of the reasons for buying a Lexus is the beautiful Yamaha created wood on the interior. I want the ability to order my RX450h F-Sport with the Gray Sapele Wood with aluminum striping! This frustrates me a lot more than it should, but I'm buying a Lexus and I want wood on the interior.

I totally agree with you, Diver, but many auto marketers and designers often just don't think that way any more. When I was in high school, for example, and learning to drive, in the closing years of the '60s Muscle-Car era, wood-tone paneling was not just reserved for luxury cars (in fact, many luxury cars back then did NOT have wood trim).......wood was also considered a sport-oriented theme. 2-seat open-top British roadsters, for instance, often sported real wooden steering wheels and wall-to-wall wood-tone trim on the dash. Mustang, Barracuda, Cougar, Challenger, 4-4-2, and GTO muscle-cars likewise had (fake) wood-tone dashes and either real or fake wood steering wheels. But, somehow, after the 1980s, the idea began to creep in (I don't know from where...it beats me) that you couldn't have wood-trim and sport at the same time....wood trim was suddenly only for Grandpa and Grandma. (the first-generation Infiniti Q45 flagship of the early 90s, for instance, lacked wood trim altogether). And, if you DID have wood trim in a sport-oriented model (like in the Jaguar R-series), it had to be duller, darker in color, or have a less-rich look than in the straight luxury versions. And that thinking has generally persisted to this day......sport oriented cars, in the eyes of the marketers, today are (usually) limited to silver, black, metallic, and/or carbon-fiber trim. Of course, to be honest, IMO, carbon-fiber trim can also be very rich and attractive-looking if it is done correctly. But, like fine aged wood trim, real carbon-fiber (not the fake stuff) is expensive, and automakers are not willing to, or can't afford to, spend the money for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: CIF

mikeavelli

Reactions
I have been waiting for this car for over a year. I know I've wanted a RX450h F-Sport for a while, but I'm very disappointed to hear Aluminum is the only trim option on the F-Sport. Visually I like the exterior of the F-Sport much more than the standard 450h, but one of the reasons for buying a Lexus is the beautiful Yamaha created wood on the interior. I want the ability to order my RX450h F-Sport with the Gray Sapele Wood with aluminum striping! This frustrates me a lot more than it should, but I'm buying a Lexus and I want wood on the interior. My only other disappointment is the lack of dual exhaust on the 450h F-Sport. I can understand the reasoning being it's a hybrid. But on the F-Sport model they should just include the exhaust pipes for the look. Lastly I thought I would like the F sport instrument cluster but quite frankly think on an RXh I would prefer the standard instrument cluster which more closely aligns with the type of vehicle it is.

Now I really have to think hard between the RXh and RXh F-Sport. I want the RXh with F-Sport grille + S+ mode, but with the RXh Luxury interior...

Hi, I was also disappointed to see no wood option with the F-Sport. I also believe the luxury package won't be available either in the F-Sport. That drives me crazy in my LS.

Just let us order any package in any trim! :)

Good point also on offering real carbon fiber as an option. And wow a throwback to the original Q45. Yup no wood until the facelift!

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Just let us order any package in any trim! :)

Yes, that's best for the customer, but it makes the assembly line more complex and increases costs for the automaker. That's probably why you generally don't see it in vehicles selling for less than six figures.

Good point also on offering real carbon fiber as an option.

Used to see it quite often, but its cost seems to be restricting it to only upper-line models now.

Does your LS F-Sport have carbon-fiber, Mike? I don't remember if Lexus offered it on that model or not from the factory. If not, think there are some aftermarket kits for it.

And wow a throwback to the original Q45. Yup no wood until the facelift!

I mentioned the Q45, despite its age, because wood trim (or a lack of it) was basically what got the original version in trouble, setting up a sales-slump (sharply lagging behind the Lexus LS) that it never really recovered from, despite more attention on subsequent models to a rich interior. The LS survived and prospered, of course, where the Q is history.

mikeavelli

Reactions
There are those willing to pay to have the car the way they want. Clearly Lexus is great at figuring out packages but F-Sport and Luxury options shouldn't be mutually exclusive. And if one wants to wait and pay more to have it their way it's time to make that happen.

For example the F-Sport can't be had with the luxury package with rear window shades. I want those for our kid. I don't want a non F-Sport they don't exist to us lol.

I applaud the new RX and what it offers but I am wanting more...

Reactions: CIF

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
For example the F-Sport can't be had with the luxury package with rear window shades.

Does the F-Sport package already include darker-tinted glass? (that's something else that's often considered sport-oriented). It may not be formally listed in the specs even if it is included....that sometimes happens. If so, that might (?) at least partially explain the non-shade availability....although I agree with you that it is not the same as having an actual shade.

I want those for our kid.

Does your kid have sensitive skin that burns easily from intense sun coming through the glass? I would guess that the main reason a shade would be needed.

I applaud the new RX and what it offers, but I am wanting more...

So do a lot of people who still want that RX 3rd-seat option. ;)

mikeavelli

Reactions
No he's fine lol. Sometimes when he's asleep it would be nice to have a shade to keep the sun out. I don't want to tint windows. The aftermarket sunshades suck.

My point is, I should be able to order what I want especially if the vehicle is 60k or so. Why are F-Sport buyers continuing to be pigeonholed into aluminum trim only and lack of th luxury package options.